Prospect Info: #98 Nikita Popugaev (RW)

Nedved Petr

David Tomasek
Oct 27, 2012
Ontario
I don't blame people for thinking he was gone and already a bust, but it's funny to see him back. He's not out and gone yet. 5 points in 17 AHL games, not that great, but not horrible. Hopefully he strings together a productive season next year, I'm assuming he will be back in Binghamton?

Tretyak 20

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
I don't blame people for thinking he was gone and already a bust, but it's funny to see him back. He's not out and gone yet. 5 points in 17 AHL games, not that great, but not horrible. Hopefully he strings together a productive season next year, I'm assuming he will be back in Binghamton?

Yeah, he'll be in Binghamton again this year. He's looked decent so far today, though he'll never be confused with Pavel Bure.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Yeah, he'll be in Binghamton again this year. He's looked decent so far today, though he'll never be confused with Pavel Bure.
But has he looked quicker? Or, if you don't have a past comparison, does he appear to have adequate quickness?

Clearly he is a huge kid, I've seen some impressive puck skills from him in the past. It appears it's his quickness which is at question.

Which could be tied to a lack of drive, which has also been at question.

But if has found some inspiration in his game, to work out, to get in better shape, to get quicker, to play a more aggressive game, I think that could go a long way in his development.

Tretyak 20

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
But has he looked quicker? Or, if you don't have a past comparison, does he appear to have adequate quickness?

Clearly he is a huge kid, I've seen some impressive puck skills from him in the past. It appears it's his quickness which is at question.

Which could be tied to a lack of drive, which has also been at question.

But if has found some inspiration in his game, to work out, to get in better shape, to get quicker, to play a more aggressive game, I think that could go a long way in his development.

I only saw highlights from Binghamton, so it's tough to compare. Based on yesterday, I don't see any work ethic problems. He just isn't naturally very fast. His stride is also pretty ungainly - reminds me of Vladimir Malakhov. That's not uncommon for a big guy, though.

I think if he can improve his stride a bit and learn to anticipate plays well, he could definitely have an NHL future.

Edited to add... He should have had a goal yesterday, but fanned on a one-timer after following up a rush and getting in perfect position.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
If skating like you are in mud is a desired NHL quality then this kid has a chance.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad