Prospect Info: 95th Overall Jordan Spence Defence

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
LA Kings did it when they traded Jack Johnson.
Avalanche just traded Byram. Im sure there are more examples.
Islanders traded Toews.

Ducks traded Drysdale.

Blue Jackets traded Gavrikov
Those are not examples nor nearly the same.

Since when are/were the Ducks, Blue Jackets a playoff team (Drysdale & Gavrikov) at the time of the trade.

Byram for another similar player to make the team better (no futures) and a liability with Jack Johnson for another better player ?

Since when, Toews, is October the trade deadline ?

These are ridiculous comparisons with what has been said.

Last edited:

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
Yeah but what was Blake supposed to do?!?
You are way to eager but than I am also going to play.

Joke about this below and your 180 degrees turnaround with Fiala and Blake.

Thats where you should focus on.

Yep. And again, well crafted trade by Blake and Guerin, old buddies.

--Kings do well with scoring punch and term on a guy who fits the roster right in the middle and fits almost all needs. All they give up is one of their MANY RHD and a mid-1st that would be unlikely to help them for a few years;
--Wild shed salary, get back an underrated (around the league) prospect and first round pick...I think their own first rounder is only a few away as well so they could get two awesome prospects accelerating rebuilding their stable near Rossi/Boldy while enduring the rough cap years;
--Fiala gets to move to a more prominent scoring role on a team that should be a playoff team, will have some sort of defensive/two-way presence next to him in (likely) Kopitar, or Danault or Byfield;
--Faber gets to stay home near family, finish school, jump right to a team that is a little short on RHD prospects (IIRC, maybe wrong here) and may need him for salary purposes by the time he leaves school.

One thing I have to give Blake credit for is he isn't running around ripping everyone off, he makes deals that are good for everyone and keeps his relationships rolling.

Last edited:

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
You are way to eager but than I am also going to play.

Joke about this below and your 180 degrees turnaround with Fiala and Blake.

Thats where you should focus on.

Oh no, a post from two years ago!

It's almost like opinions can change.

And nothing i said there is invalid, it's what's transpired since that allows me to see it through a different lens.

Sorry it hurts your feelings though, Blake does have hockey cards you can collect.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
Oh no, a post from two years ago!

It's almost like opinions can change.

And nothing i said there is invalid, it's what's transpired since that allows me to see it through a different lens.

Sorry it hurts your feelings though, Blake does have hockey cards you can collect.
Opinions can change but i would be a little less vocal about it. Dont you think ? One thing that is invalid is that you deeply liked this trade and now suddenly Blake screwed up and I notice more.

If we are all going to act like that than we can flame away about everything yes.

You must have a crystal ball because indeed i collect cards.

Reactions: Surf Nutz

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Opinions can change but i would be a little less vocal about it. Dont you think ? One thing that is invalid is that you deeply liked this trade and now suddenly Blake screwed up and I notice more.

If we are all going to act like that than we can flame away about everything yes.

You must have a crystal ball because indeed i collect cards.

If you think it's a 'gotcha' that someone revises their opinion based on literally years of additional data, I think that says more about you than it does about me...especially when the premises from the original opinion are still valid.

The mistakes were cascading. Blake bought a million dollar lottery ticket and instead of being thoughtful he thought that meant he could go out and buy a million more lottery tickets but is now broke.

Reactions: Lt Dan

BaileyFan

Jun 14, 2023
I constantly read this but this doesn’t have anything to do with Blake’s job or this being logical.

I cant recall a single time the last two decades that a playoff team trades away one of their best defensemen around the trade deadline just because its better for the franchise long term.

I am not a Blake fan but this man must do things that no other GM is doing either.
Blues traded Shattenkirk in 2017 and still made it to the 2nd round. They flipped the 1st they got for him to acquire Schenn and got a Cup out of it.

I’m guessing the difference is Armstrong’s job wasn’t dependent on a miracle playoff run which reinforces my belief that Blake should’ve been fired immediately alongside Todd instead of letting him make decisions while his interests don’t align with the franchise.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Blues traded Shattenkirk in 2017 and still made it to the 2nd round. They flipped the 1st they got for him to acquire Schenn and got a Cup out of it.

I’m guessing the difference is Armstrong’s job wasn’t dependent on a miracle playoff run which reinforces my belief that Blake should’ve been fired immediately alongside Todd instead of letting him make decisions while his interests don’t align with the franchise.

Sorry, you didn't show me enough evidence of an extremely specific niche situation including time of the year and phase of the moon therefore it's impossible and you guys are big meanies towards Rob Blake.

Reactions: Frolov 6'3

DoktorJeep

Winners of the Offseason
Aug 2, 2005
OC
If you think it's a 'gotcha' that someone revises their opinion based on literally years of additional data, I think that says more about you than it does about me...especially when the premises from the original opinion are still valid.

The mistakes were cascading. Blake bought a million dollar lottery ticket and instead of being thoughtful he thought that meant he could go out and buy a million more lottery tickets but is now broke.
No dude. You’re clearly stupid for not sticking to your guns, Nevermind doubling down on early good faith that wasn’t fulfilled.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands

The Blues were far from a lock for the playoffs and even fired the headcoach a few weeks before the TDL. They had a strong end of the regular season.

Hardly any team, especially when all signs show the team will make the playoffs, will trade one of their best defenders for picks/prospects and will weaken its blueline for the playoffs. At least your example has some content.

Here some think Blake should have traded Roy for futures at the trade deadline. Laughable.

Last edited:

BaileyFan

Jun 14, 2023
The Blues were far from a lock for the playoffs and even fired the headcoach a few weeks before the TDL. They had a strong end of the regular season.

Hardly any team, especially when all signs show the team will make the playoffs, will trade one of their best defenders for picks/prospects and will weaken its blueline for the playoffs. At least your example has some content.

Here some think Blake should have traded Roy for futures at the trade deadline. Laughable.
Uhhhhhhh.

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016

He didnt have to be traded for futures. Kings have other holes without a player like Clarke ready to fill in.
I like Roy a lot. But if they arent going to bring him back they could have gotten a nice haul. Whether it be picks, prospects, a goalie or size for the bottom six or a combination of some of those.

Last edited:
Reactions: AbsentMojo

Surf Nutz

Hockey Remote Viewer With A Frozen Finger
May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
I thought many of the returns on deadline trades were underwhelming.

Especially compared to years past.

Blakie said he was going to try to resign Roy, he better.

Reactions: YP44

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
He didnt have to be traded for futures. Kings have other holes without a player like Clarke ready to fill in.
I like Roy a lot. But if they arent going to bring him back they could have gotten a nice haul. Whether it be picks, prospects, a goalie or size for the bottom six or a combination of some of those.
Thats what was suggested. Trading away a vet at the TDL for another player to make the team better is nothing strange about.

Going into the playoffs and trade it for picks/prospects is rare and a GM should not be blamed for that. Here however they flame Blake for whatever that comes to people’s mind. Than you are far from reasonable anymore.
Uhhhhhhh.
Huh ? Trading away Roy when McLennan was fired is a totally different situation. The playoffs where in jeopardy. Exactly that is why the Blues traded Shattenkirk and why there is reason behind it.

What is this with some people..

Last edited:
  • Love

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Dating myself but I remember this being the go to response for most posts over in the trade proposal parts of the board. This and the classic (3rd or 4th? I forget which round) draft picks that was always added to a trade.
Ryder, Halak, and a 2nd sounded like such a great deal for any player in the league!

Or with Kings fans... Cammy and a pick!

funky

Time for the future. More Byfield and Clarke
Mar 9, 2002
Undersize, bottom pairing, defenseman, that can move the puck a bit. Jaded because I like big defenseman that can crush people.

This kid however will have an NHL career

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I thought this was the spence thread and it just sounds like people fighting over stuff for pages lol

Anyway what do you guys see as his offensive upside now? 40 point 2nd pairing guy?

Yeah I think that's about right, most likely to be a PP2 guy, I thought he might have some Spurgeon top-pairing upside but will probably never be on a team in which we could find out, 2nd-3rd pairing seems ideal

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad