Prospect Info: 95th overall (2017): Vancouver selects D Jack Rathbone | Will he sign?

Status
Not open for further replies.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
There's an interesting bit in this story from yesterday's Province re Rathbone:

"When he was drafted, Rathbone was 5-foot-10 and 170 pounds. The 19-year-old is now 5-foot-11 and 190 pounds — and will most likely be over 200 pounds by next season."​

https://theprovince.com/sports/hock...cts-tracker-rathbones-stock-continues-to-rise

Good news for those who believe size matters.

If he's a true 5'11" and 190 lbs that's a pretty standard (formerly? below) average size.

Judging from his photos, he wasn't the skinny kid type so I'm not too concerned about his ability to develop some size and strength.

The Vasili Jerry

Serenity now!
Jun 11, 2011
Orange County
He’s tracking well and there’s a long way to go still,
Yeah, his first year at Harvard seems to have been pretty good. This is the first I've been able to watch him and as a freshman seems to get a lot of responsibility. He shoots a ton and it seems like he's got the green light to come down low if it's open. So far I'm impressed with what I've seen.

Reactions: lindgren

ahmon

Jun 25, 2002
Visit site
I have him over Juolevi comfortably.

Actually after watching him at our prospect camp in the fall thought hes our best d prospect along with Hughes.

He's playing behind Fox and Walsh on the depth chart. But he has better tools, like skating and shot than those 2.

Just needed some time to get used to the college game If he didn't stay a year to take care of his brother, he could be pretty close to pro ready.

Very underrated prospect.

Reactions: Neddam ot Sehguh

The Vasili Jerry

Serenity now!
Jun 11, 2011
Orange County

Actually after watching him at our prospect camp in the fall thought hes our best d prospect along with Hughes.

He's playing behind Fox and Walsh on the depth chart. But he has better tools, like skating and shot than those 2.

Just needed some time to get used to the college game If he didn't stay a year to take care of his brother, he could be pretty close to pro ready.

He's playing on the top pairing with Fox and running the second PP unit in this game. Would love to get Fox. I wonder if he's planning on going back next year and choosing where he wants to go.

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010

I guess our d is set going forward with Hughes, Woo and Rathbone above OJ in top 4. I am hoping OJ bounces back from injury as I think he is being written off too soon. He is likely better than Rathbone and Woo. Though I am fan of Woo's progression and still 18.

Dr Good Vibes

Jan 18, 2010
I guess our d is set going forward with Hughes, Woo and Rathbone above OJ in top 4. I am hoping OJ bounces back from injury as I think he is being written off too soon. He is likely better than Rathbone and Woo. Though I am fan of Woo's progression and still 18.
OJ needs to learn how to battle. If he knew how to battle he'd be a solid, if unlucky and injury prone, prospect. People look at the stats and think that's everything. He's a liability if he can't win a puck battle. I've pretty much given up on him but I hope he figures it out.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014

By set do you mean four complete question marks? We will be lucky if more than one of them ends up as a full time top-4 defenseman in the NHL. Making the jump from juniors/ncaa to AHL is massive and none of them have done that yet. The jump from AHL to NHL is even bigger.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Looks like Brackett has done it again.....US. heartland players in Gaudette, Lockwood, Madden and now Rathbone....Thank God there's somebody in the scouting department who appears to know what they're doing.

The Vasili Jerry

Serenity now!
Jun 11, 2011
Orange County
Harvard just won in OT so they are on to the ECAC Finals. Hopefully they win there so we can see more of him. Seemed to have another solid game but I’m not too sure how good Dartmouth is so maybe the quality of opponent wasn’t great. Anyone know?

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014

This is the most complete package of game tape I've seen and it covers every shift from a single game. I can glean from it that:

- Rathbone is really small. You see 6'2" Jack Donato skate by him as the two have a brief conversation around the 1:50 mark and he looks a good 4-5 inches taller.

- He has great speed and joins the backcheck instantly when his team loses the zone, and easily stays in front of his man.

- He's a LHD and almost never leaves that side of the ice or uses the rest of the zone in the cycle.

- The quality of the hockey he's playing is fairly low. The face shields and poor camera angles probably make it look more like junior A than it really is, but there's hardly anyone on the ice at any time who can create much, make quick lateral movement or shoot the puck hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad