Prospect Info: 95th overall (2017): Vancouver selects D Jack Rathbone | Will he sign?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkMM

Jan 30, 2010
Delta, BC
My guess - and it's only that - for the delay in signing Tryamkin and Rathbone is that the dust hasn't settled in terms of the cap and compliance buyouts and other mechanisms. Most players will be in a hold pattern until that's resolved.

I get the cap situation holding up signing Tryamkin, but wouldn't we likely just offer Rathbone the max and be done with it? Any amount of negotiation with him wouldn't affect the cap much and I don't see the cap being so low that we don't sign him (if anything he provides a cheap option in case we have to fill spots with ELC capped contracts) and/or he could be sent down and off the cap.

Reactions: Bankerguy

MarkMM

Jan 30, 2010
Delta, BC
Rathbone is already a supreme offensive d-man, albeit undersized. My only question is whether an NHL team can afford to employ three sub 6-foot d-man in its top six? Hughes is able to make up for his weight and height with world-class skill; but Rathbone and Stecher are both undersized.

I think you might be able to get by with two, but three? Can't really see it.

Yeah, I could see the thinking being replace Stecher with Tryamkin to off-set the impact of having Hughes and Rathbone in the line-up. Hughes and Rathbone and Myers and Tryamkin, I mean it'll average out okay but that is an interesting case of extremes.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Yeah, I could see the thinking being replace Stecher with Tryamkin to off-set the impact of having Hughes and Rathbone in the line-up. Hughes and Rathbone and Myers and Tryamkin, I mean it'll average out okay but that is an interesting case of extremes.
Rathbone is a heavy guy, especially for his height. Plus, he has meanness in his game. Hughes and Rathbone will be in our top four for many years.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

JanBulisPiggyBack

Dec 31, 2011
Just have the worse feeling that this guy will end up as a trade piece because unless you are Gaudette that is what usually happens. Not making any hot takes here, but I wouldn’t pencil anybody not on the team in until they are. Forsling, Shinkaruk and Madden are all trades that burned, results aside

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Just have the worse feeling that this guy will end up as a trade piece because unless you are Gaudette that is what usually happens. Not making any hot takes here, but I wouldn’t pencil anybody not on the team in until they are. Forsling, Shinkaruk and Madden are all trades that burned, results aside
Sadly Trading picks and prospects might be the only way Benning/Wisebrod can dump their bad contracts. Hopefully Rathbone isn’t one of those guys, because the kid is legit top four.

JanBulisPiggyBack

Dec 31, 2011
Sadly Trading picks and prospects might be the only way Benning/Wisebrod can dump their bad contracts. Hopefully Rathbone isn’t one of those guys, because the kid is legit top four.

I am holding out hope that they allow one compliance buyout and we send LE packing, we should also be retroactively forgiven for the retroactive Luongo Cap recapture bull crap and if Seattle scoops one of our bad contracts I feel like we are in great shape, then again I am OK with Myers now, I’m sure I feel differently in 2 years

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
I get the cap situation holding up signing Tryamkin, but wouldn't we likely just offer Rathbone the max and be done with it? Any amount of negotiation with him wouldn't affect the cap much and I don't see the cap being so low that we don't sign him (if anything he provides a cheap option in case we have to fill spots with ELC capped contracts) and/or he could be sent down and off the cap.

Rathbone is beholden to NCAA and their policy towards reopening during Covid19. Whether he signs or not will depend on whether there's a good chance of a season this upcoming fall. That is far from certain at this point. He plays in MA, not GA or FL where dissent from public health policy is ignored or censored outright.

Maybe he plays another year at Harvard. I wouldn't bet on that at this point. Seems very off-brand for Harvard to take that risk unnecessarily.

But without that as an option, he'll probably sign with us because he doesn't have the leverage to demand a trade.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

Bob Long

May 31, 2018
Climax, SK
I am holding out hope that they allow one compliance buyout and we send LE packing, we should also be retroactively forgiven for the retroactive Luongo Cap recapture bull crap and if Seattle scoops one of our bad contracts I feel like we are in great shape, then again I am OK with Myers now, I’m sure I feel differently in 2 years

thats an interesting idea.... not sure how to convince the rest of the league on that. Compliance buyouts are one thing, it at least costs the owner real money. Not sure how to construct things so that using a compliance buyout to eliminate the recapture would be seen as "fair". I'd sure like that to happen tho. Maybe if it gets treated as LTIR?

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
They should just get rid of the the damn "penalty" anyway, as the idea of retroactively punishing teams for something they did that was within the rules is asinine. The NHL set a precedent, letting the Devils and Lou Lamoriello off the hook in the Kovalchuk situation and giving them back their first round pick. You knew there was an obvious deal going on behind the scenes there, as well, with the Devils choosing to use the 29th overall pick on Stefan Matteau, knowing full well Gary would eventually just wave his magic wand.

But they won't do the same for the Canucks because, well... it's the Canucks.

Reactions: Regular David Bruce

BB06

Jun 1, 2020

Benning said back in an interview that a lot of teams called on Rathbone but he feels he’ll be an excited dynamic young player for us.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Benning said back in an interview that a lot of teams called on Rathbone but he feels he’ll be an excited dynamic young player for us.
As tough as it was to swallow giving up Madden, trading Rathbone for a short-term fix would have been the ultimate downer. Finding potentially 'impact d-men' in the draft, or via trade or free agency is just about impossible.

This is a guy the Canucks absolutely 'have to sign'.

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
They should just get rid of the the damn "penalty" anyway, as the idea of retroactively punishing teams for something they did that was within the rules is asinine. The NHL set a precedent, letting the Devils and Lou Lamoriello off the hook in the Kovalchuk situation and giving them back their first round pick. You knew there was an obvious deal going on behind the scenes there, as well, with the Devils choosing to use the 29th overall pick on Stefan Matteau, knowing full well Gary would eventually just wave his magic wand.

But they won't do the same for the Canucks because, well... it's the Canucks.

I think it is rather because Lamoriello fought hard with Bettman behind the scenes for years about this while the Canucks chose to do nothing.

lousy

Jul 20, 2004
Calgary
I think it is rather because Lamoriello fought hard with Bettman behind the scenes for years about this while the Canucks chose to do nothing.

No facts or sources, while throwing wild biased opinions around. Yeah... lets all get the pitchforks out?

I find it hard to believe you actually believe what you wrote... or at least I hope not. Even when you dislike the choices Benning has made.

Last edited:

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
It looks like it is going to be mostly conference hockey if it happens

NCHC teams are cancelling trips to the east coast already for budget restrictions.

B1G 10 vs NCHC still works
Hockey East and ECAC is easy

gianni

Apr 8, 2014
You guys know who Rathbone"s minor league coach was and his family is very close too:) Mr Judd Brackett -

I'd feel more confident that the Canucks could sign Jack Rathbone if Judd Brackett were still around, but hopefully his friendships w/ Thatcher Demko & Aidan McDonough are more of an incentive. Also, he has a great opportunity to play in the Canucks' top-4 fairly quickly, especially as Alex Edler nears retirement.

Reactions: Luckylarry

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
According to Rick Dhaliwal, what's holding up the Rathbone signing is the uncertainty around the immediate future of the AHL. If he doesn't make the Canucks, he might have nowhere to play.

If the AHL doesn't struggle back into existence until 2021, he'd be better off just to stay in school and use Harvard's rink and athletic facilities to keep working out.

It's unfortunate, but a lot of players are in the same boat.....probably one of the reasons both Goldy and Boucher bolted to the KHL.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
Can’t remember where but I saw someone call him the Canucks best D prospect.

Don’t see how he’s better than Woo and Rafferty. And I would put Juolevi in front of him for now too.

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
i havnt really been following, whats the deal with Rathbone, did he develop a ton after getting drafted?
where's he playing next year?

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
Gotta get this kid signed, I just have this good feeling about this defenseman, I think he'll be our best up and coming defenseman not named Hughes. Rathbone has all of the tools to be a very talented second pairing defenseman in the NHL.

BB06

Jun 1, 2020
i havnt really been following, whats the deal with Rathbone, did he develop a ton after getting drafted?
where's he playing next year?

His number aren’t to far off some of the Harvard Dmen who stepped into the NHL and were stars Marino/Fox. If you watched the games you can see the type of impact he’s having is tremendous and his skating is elite. Lots of things to be excited about for this Kid. He’s got to sign first of course.

Reactions: Disappointed EP40

Nov 1, 2011
Not sure if he's in Van next year, I'd say he certainly is if there's no AHL running.

Likely 2nd pair LD in 2021-22, assuming Edler retires.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
The NHL is going to have to work with teams on this. If the owners are willing to put up the money, allow teams to have as many players on their active rosters as they want while the AHL is out of business. Pay those (that would be assigned to the AHL) their AHL salaries. They get to practice with the team, make some money and and get to see the life style of the pro game up close. It would go over very well with the AHL players on the team.

They don't have to pay all their AHL players, just those they what around. Might be tough on the journeymen, but so it goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad