Player Discussion #90 - Jason Spezza

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
I wouldn't worry about Cole negatively effecting Spezza's numbers too much. Either he'll defy the odds and remember how to finish or he'll be replaced quickly by one of the younger options. I think we would've already seen Sceviour there by now if he'd been healthy to start camp.

Oh I believe that as well. It would be nice if he could get it together. Haha ... I do like the way you put it though, "Defy the odds."

I wonder if Ritchie would ever get a chance to fit with Eakin .... be trusted to play against the top lines. Eh ... sorry. That is way off topic. I just know Hemsky and Ritchie have both played RW almost exclusively .... and it would seem like a perfect fit for them to be together with Spezza from a skills, talent standpoint.

I'd hate to see handedness be the reason they busted up Nuke with Benn and Seguin. That has long term potential.

Sensin5

Jan 27, 2013
Last night was his best game so far, he's been getting better as the preseason goes along. He's faster and moves better than I was familiar with/expected. He's showed off his shot and also his unreal ability to catch and deliver hard, precise passes which is going to be important playing on the PP with Seguin and Benn.

He's much faster than he appears - big strong strides. Ya, we miss him already (many of us).

He will be great for you guys.

ElGuapo

^Plethora of piñatas
Nov 30, 2010
Nomad
I wonder if, considering they have a good mix of right and left shots, they just don't want two of the four lines being all the same handedness if they can avoid it.

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
He's been very good. Last night he had a goal and two assists and he's looked good in every game he's played for us so far. Currently he has 5 points in 3 games with a lot more great chances and great plays that he's set up. He's continued to have the same great chemistry with Hemsky that he had last season. We had Spezza Hemsky Seguin and Benn together on the powerplay for the first time last night and it was amazing. Our powerplay was really bad last year so Spezza is exactly what we needed. It's still early but he's been one of our best players in the pre-season and maybe even the best. I really think he needed a change and the trade has been good for him. And for Ottawa it might not be an immediate replacement but I think Chiasson and Paul will be great players for you.

He really needed a better caliber of fan.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Spezza when healthy is legitimately one of the best players in the league. I wouldn't worry much about Cole...he's been essentially a ppg player regardless of his linemates. When he was 4th in scoring and 6 in Hart voting he spent the year rotating with Butler, Greening and Michalek.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Spezza when healthy is legitimately one of the best players in the league. I wouldn't worry much about Cole...he's been essentially a ppg player regardless of his linemates. When he was 4th in scoring and 6 in Hart voting he spent the year rotating with Butler, Greening and Michalek.

Cujomi whats up.

Agreed though, there are a handful of guys that can do what spezza does offensively. Doesnt really matter who the LW is, if spezza and hemsky are together the guy will get points, just look what they did to michalek last year.

You guys are more than likely going to see a few lazy plays but when hes healthy there are 3 amazing offensive plays/scoring chances generated for every defensive lapse. the guy is filthy.

NukeJukes43

This. I've seen so many people on here and /r/hockey try to use any excuse they can to justify their team not getting Spezza as perfectly ok. Everyone wants a center like Jason Spezza, you'd be stupid not to. Even if we never got Seguin, I would've loved Spezza as our 1C. To have him on our 2nd line with Hemsky is a dream come true. I haven't seen the Stars roster this stacked since '99. This season is going to be a blast no matter what for me.

SolidusAKA

Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
This. I've seen so many people on here and /r/hockey try to use any excuse they can to justify their team not getting Spezza as perfectly ok. Everyone wants a center like Jason Spezza, you'd be stupid not to. Even if we never got Seguin, I would've loved Spezza as our 1C. To have him on our 2nd line with Hemsky is a dream come true. I haven't seen the Stars roster this stacked since '99. This season is going to be a blast no matter what for me.

If only we had the '99 defense

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010

It really is incredible the amount of hate and underappreciation surrounding Spezza essentially throughout his entire career. Meanwhile he's been one of the best offensive players in the league over the last decade (and actually shows up in the playoffs, too). On top of this I was tracking his stats in previous years and he tends to actually score more against playoff teams than he does against non-playoff teams.

Someone recently listed some 'advanced stats' that showed essentially every winger that played with Spezza saw a significant uptick in their production. Also every single winger that has ever played with Spezza has had their career year there (as long as it wasn't just a few games).

Anyway I don't want to go on for too long with this so I'll just say I'll always be a fan and always be a bit sour that Ottawa wasn't able to keep him and treated him so poorly.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Did they really treat him poorly or was it sort of just time?

Well, Spezza had been with Ottawa since 2001. In that time:

- he was scapegoated at every chance by the media, and fans (despite being one of the most productive players in the league, regular season and playoffs)
- was booed by his own fans, in his home arena, in the playoffs (and not really the only time he'd been jeered/booed by our fans)
- constantly in the middle of trade speculation almost every year, generally with a lot of vocal Ottawa fans (and media) hoping he was traded
- was sent back to junior and publicly criticized by our management (apparently offensive superstars NEED to be good defensively at 19)
- everyone makes fun of his laugh (lol)

All of this while he was a loyal soldier for Ottawa, and was a consummate professional. I honestly feel like if he played somewhere different and was developed a little differently he could have had an even better career (somewhere that encouraged his offensive abilities instead of initially stunting them, and built around him).

Anyway, he'll be great for Dallas. I just think that a lot of vocal people (fans, and media) really never appreciated just how special a talent and player Spezza is.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Did they really treat him poorly or was it sort of just time?

hes been hated on since he was 18 years old. pretty much the second he arrived in Ottawa. the "no look drop pass giveaway" is the most over used, over exaggerated "joke". even when he cracked 90 points as a 23 year old sens fans were calling for his head.

McGinley

Captain, my captain
Feb 13, 2013
Well, Spezza had been with Ottawa since 2001. In that time:

- he was scapegoated at every chance by the media, and fans (despite being one of the most productive players in the league, regular season and playoffs)
- was booed by his own fans, in his home arena, in the playoffs (and not really the only time he'd been jeered/booed by our fans)
- constantly in the middle of trade speculation almost every year, generally with a lot of vocal Ottawa fans (and media) hoping he was traded
- was sent back to junior and publicly criticized by our management (apparently offensive superstars NEED to be good defensively at 19)
- everyone makes fun of his laugh (lol)

All of this while he was a loyal soldier for Ottawa, and was a consummate professional. I honestly feel like if he played somewhere different and was developed a little differently he could have had an even better career (somewhere that encouraged his offensive abilities instead of initially stunting them, and built around him).

Anyway, he'll be great for Dallas. I just think that a lot of vocal people (fans, and media) really never appreciated just how special a talent and player Spezza is.

Don't worry, we will treat him with all the love and adoration he deserves.

*Chiasson scored a goal*

TRADE HIM FOR A BAG OF PUCKS! TRADE LOST! GAME OVER, MAN! GAME OVER!

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
I love Spezza. I was really happy to see I wasn't the only one wearing a Spezza jersey at the game. He got a lot of cheers when he came out on the ice too. So far Dallas seems to be a great fit for him and I really hope we can re-sign him soon. Ottawa wasn't a great situation for him by the end but Dallas is a completely different environment. And with Seguin and hopefully Spezza and a bit of Hemsky too I hope Dallas gets a reputation among players who have struggled with tough media environments as a much more relaxed and pleasant place to play. If a free agent is choosing between equal offers I want him to be able to say "I like what Dallas has done for Seguin and Spezza"

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I hope it works out for him there too, and it seems like the perfect situation for him to sign what will likely be his last big payday. He's a class act on and off the ice, too, and has a ton of experience.

As far as 'running him out of town goes' it's not really surprising that Karlsson has already started to receive criticism after 1 game now that Spezza is not there to be the attention magnet. Ottawa for whatever reason just doesn't seem to appreciate offensive superstars -- I mean criticism is valid because no Spezza and Karlsson are not the best defensvie players, but you build around those kinds of special offensive talents because they are much harder to find.

Good luck!

Arno Dorian*

Sep 4, 2010
Austin, TX
Nill is in the driver seat to re-sign him for sure. Stars get a year audition and then will have to the cap space to accommodate him.

Hope the Hemsky/Spezza line continues to blossom

Johno

We deserve it
Oct 30, 2013

As far as 'running him out of town goes' it's not really surprising that Karlsson has already started to receive criticism after 1 game now that Spezza is not there to be the attention magnet. Ottawa for whatever reason just doesn't seem to appreciate offensive superstars -- I mean criticism is valid because no Spezza and Karlsson are not the best defensvie players, but you build around those kinds of special offensive talents because they are much harder to find.

Good luck!

So what you are saying is that Nill will acquire Karlsson next summer...

:sarcasm:

SilverSeven

Apr 16, 2007
Ottawa, Ontario
The comments about Spezza in the GDT were great. Glad some other fans will get to see what some Ottawa fans have been saying for a decade....he is one of the most skilled players in the league. The biggest issue is finding guys creative enough to play with him. Hemsky worked here, hope he does for you too!

Philoops

I am Potato
Jul 19, 2011
Canada
Ottawa could really use Spezza's offense right now, but Chiasson is looking better than expected. I have yet to change my username and picture yet, am afraid to in case the next player I choose is traded/leaves :(. If Spezza stays healthy you guys will be happy, I think being a number two guy will make his inevitable decline appear slower as he's put outside of the main spotlight. Seems a good fit. Best of luck Spezza.

Jan 24, 2006
Ottawa
hes been hated on since he was 18 years old. pretty much the second he arrived in Ottawa. the "no look drop pass giveaway" is the most over used, over exaggerated "joke". even when he cracked 90 points as a 23 year old sens fans were calling for his head.

You are so right... Enjoy him Dallas. :)

pm88

Mar 19, 2014
everywhere
Sens fan here as well. I know people have probably already said this but Spezza is a filthy good offensive player.......when he's healthy. His playmaking ability is top 10 in this league, maybe even close to top 5. When he's on his game the offence can legitimately run through that guy. He has that ability to turn on a switch where he can make any sort of play in the offensive zone almost at will. He's a pure passer but has a wicked, wicked shot. His talent level is unbelievable to be honest. One of the most talented guys I;ve seen put on a Sens jersey.. maybe even the most talented.

If you guys can deal with his defensive lapses from time to time he'll be great for you guys. Has a bad habit of using the blind pass that leads to easy turnovers and shows he's trying to do too much.

He's not a complete, 2 way player which is the big asterisks with him, but he's getting paid to put up points and he can do that. Him and Hemsky were a legit duo in Ottawa last year and I think its a matter of time until they start putting up some points.

Either way, enjoy watching him play, despite his injury concerns he's fully capable of making a dazzling play or two in a game

Good luck this season

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
he has the habit of trying to do it multiple times a game is what I was trying to get at..other than that he'll be a PPG once him and hemsky start rolling

this. this is why spezza had to go.
patently untrue nonsense, taken now in ottawa as gospel.

Stars99Lobo37

May 9, 2004
Sec 314 - Richardson
I haven't seen him do a blind pass yet in Dallas that wasn't connected.

It's just a matter of time before he starts lighting it up with Hemsky. They've both been much better defensively than what we've been told to believe.

Getting more than one powerplay per game would be a good thing for them as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad