Bruins Classics GDT 9 PM NESN - 2011 ECSF Game 2 - Tim Thomas stands on his head

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
upload_2020-4-2_18-52-40.png

Tonight's Officials

Referees Eric Furlatt (#27), Marc Joannette (#25)
Linesmen Derek Amell (#75), Pierre Racicot (#65)

Supervisor Bill McCreary

Ntl. Anthem Lauren Hart

https://link.nhl.com/static/gamenotes/public/20102011/[email protected]

204589_1946000002395_1538432_o.jpg

Comfort Eagle

Feb 28, 2008
Southeastern,MA
I forgot how badly the Bruins outplayed the Flyers at times in this game. Dominating at times. This Flyers team wasn't as good as their record indicated.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Hard to believe Versus wound up becoming NBC Sports

Remember how much of an embarrassment it was when the NHL sold their rights to OLN in 2005 after ESPN dumped them? They were the laughing stock of sports leagues. I think Comcast really cashed out on that one and it's actually been a really good partnership for the league.

Also, it looks like during 2011 they were just starting the process of converting over to NBCSN. Comcast bought NBC earlier that spring and began rebranding assets - the name change didn't take effect until January 1st of 2012 though.

Reactions: Fenway

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Anyway, my thoughts on this game:

1. How did Adam McQuaid not paralyze himself on that?
2. The ending felt anticlimactic, but that clearly went in live. I guess the refs wanted to play it safe and not stop play in case it may have been a post, but everyone in front of the net saw it definitively.
3. Thomas was a beast, again
4. I remembered the third line being productive and carrying us through round one, but it completely slipped my mind that Chris Kelly kept putting up all these goals in the second round and beyond.
5. Tuukka on the bench is so young with his long hair - Were he and McQuaid the only ones not to buzz their heads for the cuts for a cause that year?

Reactions: BMC

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Remember how much of an embarrassment it was when the NHL sold their rights to OLN in 2005 after ESPN dumped them? They were the laughing stock of sports leagues. I think Comcast really cashed out on that one and it's actually been a really good partnership for the league.

Also, it looks like during 2011 they were just starting the process of converting over to NBCSN. Comcast bought NBC earlier that spring and began rebranding assets - the name change didn't take effect until January 1st of 2012 though.

OLN/Versus was run from a basement studio in the Flyers arena, today it is run from Connecticut and Keith Jones makes the drive every time he is in the studio.

Reactions: McGarnagle

crimsonace

Mar 7, 2010
Indianapolis, IN
OLN/Versus was run from a basement studio in the Flyers arena, today it is run from Connecticut and Keith Jones makes the drive every time he is in the studio.

Shortly thereafter, IndyCar was moving its cable rights from ESPN to Versus/NBCSN and getting hammered by fans (“nobody sees this network,” “out of sight, out of mind,” “SportsCenter will never pay attention to us now.”)

An Indy PR rep told us NBCSN’s strategy was to take more niche properties - NHL, IndyCar racing, the Tour de France (which was OLN’s baby), Olympic sports - and give them major treatment, following the blueprint they’d established with the NHL. Let ESPN & FS1 fight over major colleges/NBA/MLB, but NBCSN used hockey and those other sports to become a major player (and the EPL is now its crown jewel). Nowadays, IndyCar fans - who can be fickle and opinionated - are pretty universal in praising NBCSN.

When the NHL went to OLN/Versus, I expected it to be SportsChannel America 2.0 (when they had the national rights from 1988-92, the NHL was not available in many homes). It turned out instead to be a stroke of genius.

Reactions: McGarnagle

veganbruin

Sep 20, 2013
Boston, MA
Forgive me if someone already said this, but honestly this could have been the Flyers broadcast. Those first couple of periods they just kept talking about the Flyers over and over.

Reactions: TD Charlie

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Forgive me if someone already said this, but honestly this could have been the Flyers broadcast. Those first couple of periods they just kept talking about the Flyers over and over.

it was the start of the JVR nut scrub hour for the broadcast team at Versus

Reactions: BMC

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad