Bruins Classics GDT 9 PM NESN - 2011 ECQF Game 7 - BRUINS vs. Poutineville - Series tied 3-3

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Look at that snippet on the bottom right of that day's Boston Globe. If we only knew...

:cry:

That was one of the worst calls I've seen in my life (non-slewfoot division). It's hard to quantify how upset I was that *that* call might decide a playoff series.

And then Horton scored. And half the neighborhood might have been awakened (but somehow, the 4-year-old in the next room wasn't). It felt like all those demons from past years had been exorcised.

When we remember great Game 7 OT goals, we all remember Brad Park & "Bergeron, Bergeron," but this one often gets lost in the memory bank (but it eventually led to a Cup).

Every Bruins fan was bracing for Montreal to win in OT because it is in our DNA. Yes we had beaten them in a Game 7 in 1994 at the old Garden but history was not on our side.

Being 100000% honest, even if they win more cups in my lifetime I don’t think I’ll ever love a team more than that one.

Being older I remember the Cup wins in 1970 and 72 but there was very little drama in those Cup runs - 71 the B's were blindsided by Montreal.

The 2011 team was considered to be a contender but they caught a huge break when the Caps faltered in the second round but it turned out that Lightning team was legit.

The Bruins would play Philly in the second round and the Flyers also had a tough 7 games series with Buffalo ( which incredibly was the last time the Sabres were in the playoffs. )

226844_1941337165827_5862819_n.jpg

The Bruins remembered what had happened the year before and blew out the Flyers in Game 1

Still, nobody thought that Game 2 in Philly would be the last home game the Flyers would play in 2011. The pregame was emotional because of world events

and then Tim Thomas just stole the game

Bruins-Flyers Game 2 2011 Highlights 5/2/2011 1080p HD

After sweeping Philly the Bruins would play 14 more games - they lost 6 and won 8. Game 7 against Tampa Bay may have been the most perfect hockey game ever played. Referees Dan O'Halloran & Stephen Walkom left their whistles back at the hotel as there were NO penalties called in a 1-0 Bruins win.

That 2011 team is my favorite of all time and given my age that should speak volumes.

upload_2020-4-1_1-11-50.png

Last edited:

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
:cry:

Every Bruins fan was bracing for Montreal to win in OT because it is in our DNA. Yes we had beaten them in a Game 7 in 1994 at the old Garden but history was not on our side.

Being older I remember the Cup wins in 1970 and 72 but there was very little drama in those Cup runs - 71 the B's were blindsided by Montreal.

The 2011 team was considered to be a contender but they caught a huge break when the Caps faltered in the second round but it turned out that Lightning team was legit.

The Bruins would play Philly in the second round and the Flyers also had a tough 7 games series with Buffalo ( which incredibly was the last time the Sabres were in the playoffs. )

226844_1941337165827_5862819_n.jpg

The Bruins remembered what had happened the year before and blew out the Flyers in Game 1

Still, nobody thought that Game 2 in Philly would be the last home game the Flyers would play in 2011. The pregame was emotional because of world events

and then Tim Thomas just stole the game

Bruins-Flyers Game 2 2011 Highlights 5/2/2011 1080p HD

After sweeping Philly the Bruins would play 14 more games - they lost 6 and won 8. Game 7 against Tampa Bay may have been the most perfect hockey game ever played. Referees Dan O'Halloran & Stephen Walkom left their whistles back at the hotel as there were NO penalties called in a 1-0 Bruins win.

That 2011 team is my favorite of all time and given my age that should speak volumes.

View attachment 339976

Every team that survives four rounds of playoff hockey and lifts the cup has to get lucky and catch a break somewhere (if we had won last year people would be scoffing at the path we took through Columbus and Carolina for ages). Tampa going through Pittsburgh and Washington was good for us, though they weren't a bad team at all and Roloson was dominant.

One thing that was absolutely crucial to our run that people seem to have forgotten about: Chris Pronger's injury. It's still kind of shrouded in mystery as to what it was. All I can even find in retrospect now is that he had hand surgery in March with the expectation to be back for the playoffs, missed the first five games, suited up for games 6 & 7 against Buffalo and game 1 vs. Boston and was shut down indefinitely after that. It felt fishy and completely unexpected at the time, and even now it's not clear what the story was with it. That Philly team was really good, they were the 2 seed and were favorites coming off a finals appearance the year before. The existing core of Briere, Richards, and Carter were still there, and this was the year Giroux really emerged as a star in his own right. And they had the mental edge having embarrassed us the year before. Carter did miss the first two games and was playing injured too, but I maintain that it was the absence of Pronger that turned everything. Their defense turned to mush and they didn't have nearly the mean streak that he led them with beforehand. And considering all three other series went to 7 games, sweeping them and getting 8 days off to rest up before the ECF was a big help.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Every team that survives four rounds of playoff hockey and lifts the cup has to get lucky and catch a break somewhere (if we had won last year people would be scoffing at the path we took through Columbus and Carolina for ages). Tampa going through Pittsburgh and Washington was good for us, though they weren't a bad team at all and Roloson was dominant.

One thing that was absolutely crucial to our run that people seem to have forgotten about: Chris Pronger's injury. It's still kind of shrouded in mystery as to what it was. All I can even find in retrospect now is that he had hand surgery in March with the expectation to be back for the playoffs, missed the first five games, suited up for games 6 & 7 against Buffalo and game 1 vs. Boston and was shut down indefinitely after that. It felt fishy and completely unexpected at the time, and even now it's not clear what the story was with it. That Philly team was really good, they were the 2 seed and were favorites coming off a finals appearance the year before. The existing core of Briere, Richards, and Carter were still there, and this was the year Giroux really emerged as a star in his own right. And they had the mental edge having embarrassed us the year before. Carter did miss the first two games and was playing injured too, but I maintain that it was the absence of Pronger that turned everything. Their defense turned to mush and they didn't have nearly the mean streak that he led them with beforehand. And considering all three other series went to 7 games, sweeping them and getting 8 days off to rest up before the ECF was a big help.

Sadly this era of Bruins playoff hockey has had us be excellent when going up against really good/great teams. And not so good against bad ones we expect to win even the series with Toronto all going 7 games.

2013 Pitt and NYR were power teams. 2011 Philly Van TB all very good. Only 2018 TB did we lose to a better opponent IMO.

19 run we didn’t play a good/great team. 17 I don’t know what to consider Ott. 14 2 bad teams. 12 was an off year for Wash big let down. 2010 Buffalo was good 2010 Philly wasn’t and should have missed the playoffs. 09 2 mediocre opponents. 08 Habs were pretty good.

Reactions: rfournier103

DistantCuzOBourque

Oct 3, 2017
The land of little ice
I cant find an online recording of this full game. Missed the NESN re-broadcast and didnt record it. Anyone know where I might be able to find it to watch with my 10 year old son? Would love to find the full series if possible. Thanks.

Dirby Kach

Sponsor
Sep 2, 2009
Any full video of this game anywhere. A classic, i'd like to disect all of Boston's goals to see if they were legal.

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
Any full video of this game anywhere. A classic, i'd like to disect all of Boston's goals to see if they were legal.
NESN replayed the game in its entirety back on March 31. I’ll save you the time, heartache, and trouble of having to rewatch the game yourself, brother. All of the Bruins’ goals were perfectly legal. None were offside, and there was no interference on any of them. If there had been, the referees would have stepped in and disallowed the bad goals.

Why would you want to subject yourself to rewatching this game, anyway? It won’t change anything. Why not watch Game 7 from 2014, instead? Or, if you’re feeling very nostalgic, fire up the wayback machine and watch Game 7 from 1979.

There’s nothing you’re going to like about seeing Nathan Horton’s awesome overtime goal end the Canadiens season again. I’m just trying to look out for you, and you would be better off just moving on.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Delusional Habs fan equating losing Game 7 in the first round to being cheated out of the Cup. Duh! Just because Boston goes on to win the Cup doesn't mean that Habs team was going to do the same thing if not for a single OT goal.

'93 Forever!

Reactions: ThomasJ13 and BMC

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
NESN replayed the game in its entirety back on March 31. I’ll save you the time, heartache, and trouble of having to rewatch the game yourself, brother. All of the Bruins’ goals were perfectly legal. None were offside, and there was no interference on any of them. If there had been, the referees would have stepped in and disallowed the bad goals.

Why would you want to subject yourself to rewatching this game, anyway? It won’t change anything. Why not watch Game 7 from 2014, instead? Or, if you’re feeling very nostalgic, fire up the wayback machine and watch Game 7 from 1979.

There’s nothing you’re going to like about seeing Nathan Horton’s awesome overtime goal end the Canadiens season again. I’m just trying to look out for you, and you would be better off just moving on.

:thumbu::clap::wave::5::highclap::towel::yo:

Olden McGroin

Aug 1, 2009
Wait till end of 3rd and the phantom high stick against Bergeron... and he scores the tying goal.

Justice was served with Horton. Never screamed as loud for a goal in my life.

It definitely was karma or justice since Shoe-ban was not only on the ice during the OT winner, but he fails to clear the puck multiple times leading to Horton clinching it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad