Post-Game Talk: #9 | Hurricanes at Flyers | October 30, 2023 | Loss 3-2

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Thus endeth the requisite October hot streak, now lets get back to the originally scheduled sucking enough to get a top 5 pick.

As predicted and expected, for the 3rd straight season.

Reactions: BiggE

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Hell might have frozen over

Ant's a big Xs and Os guy eh?

I don't know of a defensive scheme that calls for a defenseman to play higher up than a forward in the DZ. Every forward was on one side of the ice including two by the goaline. Farabee (high slot responsibility) was in the lane but it got through.

These discussions are largely stupid placing individual blame though.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Frosts line was the best offensively and defensively.

6ba79c549e2cc42facaa548c9a0b0485.png
Charlie was right. You don't even watch the games.

Canfly

Nov 25, 2016
Could not see the game tonight but 0/5 on the PP.
Is this not the reason why they lost?

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Flyers came out a little intimidated, Carolina dominated the first ten minutes, Flyers settled down, played them pretty even for the next period and a half and outplayed Carolina in the 3rd. Problem was a combination of talent and inexperience, they had numerous chances to go ahead but couldn't close the deal. But this is what I mean by being "competitive," for players like Brink and Foerster, a great learning experience of the pace of the game against top competition.

Couts looked slow tonight, not that he was ever fast, but wasn't a good look.
Sanheim's 2nd bad game in a row, had a bad sequence on one power play, and otherwise seemed a stride behind.
Zamula also struggled again, and you can't blame Walker, who may be the Flyers' most consistent D-man this season, for a career 3rd pair guy, he looks like he belongs in the top four.

Was not a good night for the Cates line, they seem to struggle with the speed of Carolina.

Frost started slow and finished strong. TK made plays for both teams. Foerster was oh so close.

Deslauriers on the other hand had a solid game, so did Hathaway and Laughton.

With Poehling out and Frost in, still 9 players 25 or under.
Farabee, Cates, Tippett, Frost, Brink, Foerster, York, Zamula, Hart

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
A few things:
-it helped that the Flyers had 10 mins of PP time, but they still played a great 3rd.
- My boy was awesome in the third. Even in the first two periods, his line has the least amount of shots against. Say what you want about Frost in the first half of the game offensively, that line was very good defensively throughout the game.
-TK does something once a game that only ~30 forwards in the league can do. This time was on the Pp when he got the puck at the top of the zone, skated to his backhand side (left) around two defenders and made a cross-ice backhand sauce pass to Brink. Brink fumbled it, but TK’s play was outstanding.
- I would love another skilled winger with Couts. I like Tippett with Couts, but I would like to see Farabee and Brink with Couts.
- Cates wasn’t particularly strong with the puck tonight, not terrible but not as safe as he normally is. The obvious turnover, but there were about 3 more in the d zone that I could point to.
-The defense is not skilled enough, and needs a significant upgrade. They clearly need a top dman but they also need one of these prospects to step up.

Last edited:

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I think Carolina, not the Blues, is the template for Torts/Briere, they play fast every shift, are constantly on the puck, forcing turnovers and quickly transitioning - they're not nearly as skilled as NJ or Toronto, but they come at you in waves, and force D-men into quick decisions. A lot of their scoring chances come off forced errors.

The forwards will improve, but defense is definitely the weakness of this Flyer team, Sanheim needs a first pair caliber partner (York may be that guy, but not for a year or two), Zamula should be on the 3rd pair, Belpedio should be in the AHL, and ideally Seeler as the #7. Bonk and Andrae wlll help but they need one more top 3 talent and more young depth - and that may take 2-3 years.

Reactions: jabba2 and renberg

mr4tno

Oct 13, 2017
Yup. The played well. Cates lost it for them otherwise prob got to OT
Did anyone really want to see OT? If so, I'll give you the PBP....Couturier sent out to win the face off which he does not -- since he is as slow as molasses it is now basically a 3 on 2 -- Canes score....

mr4tno

Oct 13, 2017
I think if he keeps playing the way he's playing he could net a 1st at the deadline. He's been that good. Of course, it ALMOST makes you wonder if he's worth keeping with how bad the org. is on the right side.
This is the thinking the Flyers always get sucked into. If you can get a 1st for him you take that and run that is what rebuilding is all about.....

Reactions: BernieParent

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I think Carolina, not the Blues, is the template for Torts/Briere, they play fast every shift, are constantly on the puck, forcing turnovers and quickly transitioning - they're not nearly as skilled as NJ or Toronto, but they come at you in waves, and force D-men into quick decisions. A lot of their scoring chances come off forced errors.

The forwards will improve, but defense is definitely the weakness of this Flyer team, Sanheim needs a first pair caliber partner (York may be that guy, but not for a year or two), Zamula should be on the 3rd pair, Belpedio should be in the AHL, and ideally Seeler as the #7. Bonk and Andrae wlll help but they need one more top 3 talent and more young depth - and that may take 2-3 years.

Carolina is nothing like the Flyers and their offensive thinking is the precise opposite of Tortorella's.

When this management group (which is unchanged) spends years referencing how they want to be the Islanders (with a reference to the Blues for method of building) we should take them seriously, especially since their actions align with their words.

Nothing they've said or done indicates they want to be Carolina.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Torts sounded so damn reasonable I'm looking for a Pod in the Wells Fargo basement:

This is the thinking the Flyers always get sucked into. If you can get a 1st for him you take that and run that is what rebuilding is all about.....
That's the issue, a 1st is a no brainer, a late 2nd, think about it, a 3rd, I'd rather extend him.

If you're going to work in young D-men the next 2-3 years, you want a couple veteran anchor D-men, right now it's Sanheim and ??? Walker would be a good guy to keep around for 2-3 more years.

Of course, we could extend Staal or Seeler. Or pair a young D-man with Risto. :sarcasm:

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
A few things:
-it helped that the Flyers had 10 mins of PP time, but they still played a great 3rd.
- My boy was awesome in the third. Even in the first two periods, his line has the least amount of shots against. Say what you want about Frost in the first half of the game offensively, that line was very good defensively throughout the game.
-TK does something once a game that only ~30 forwards in the league can do. This time was on the Pp when he got the puck at the top of the zone, skated to his backhand side (left) around two defenders and made a cross-ice backhand sauce pass to Brink. Brink fumbled it, but TK’s play was outstanding.
Konecny also missed a great chance to put the team up in the 3rd and get Frost a well deserved primary assist, and then a few minutes later made a terrible decision to try and force pass thru the middle of the ice from behind his goal line. Love TK, but it was frustrating night to watch him.

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
Konecny also missed a great chance to put the team up in the 3rd and get Frost a well deserved primary assist, and then a few minutes later made a terrible decision to try and force pass thru the middle of the ice from behind his goal line. Love TK, but it was frustrating night to watch him.
I know what you mean. It's certainly frustrating that he didn't score.

In the same vein, he was involved in 3-5 dangerous scoring chances, and routinely involved in those types. While in this instance, it sucked that he tried to force a pass through, I'll live with it because he's the consistently generating offensive chances.

Reactions: Curufinwe

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad