9 goals in first period of Sens and Hawks game (15 total in game)

SimpleJack

Jul 25, 2013
What’s crazy is there’s been several nice saves in this 2nd period.

Score could easily be 10-8 by now...

cliffclaven

Nov 29, 2018
It’s amazing, I’ve said the hawks d sucks all year.. and had people here arguing about how “good” forsling, Gustafson, dahlstrom, Murphy, jokiharu, and koekkoek are.. they’re all complete garbage. Then again, you can’t really play any type of defense anymore aside from stick checks. This is what the “new league” wants tho, I guess. I haven’t seen a single hit this entire game, lol.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
It’s amazing, I’ve said the hawks d sucks all year.. and had people here arguing about how “good” forsling, Gustafson, dahlstrom, Murphy, jokiharu, and koekkoek are.. they’re all complete garbage. Then again, you can’t really play any type of defense anymore aside from stick checks. This is what the “new league” wants tho, I guess. I haven’t seen a single hit this entire game, lol.
Jokiharju is on the AHL for seasoning and because we acquired Koekkoek in a trade. His is good offensively, top 20 in points this season for a defenseman, but is an adventure in his own zone. Murphy is good defensively, but he and Keith can't do it alone. Forsling and Dahstrom are young and have a chance of being NHLers in the future, but both have issues at this point.

Please provide me evidence that Hawks fans were talking up these guys so much that you felt this comment was needed.

cliffclaven

Nov 29, 2018
Jokiharju is on the AHL for seasoning and because we acquired Koekkoek in a trade. His is good offensively, top 20 in points this season for a defenseman, but is an adventure in his own zone. Murphy is good defensively, but he and Keith can't do it alone. Forsling and Dahstrom are young and have a chance of being NHLers in the future, but both have issues at this point.

Please provide me evidence that Hawks fans were talking up these guys so much that you felt this comment was needed.
I can’t find the thread at the moment, but I’ve been called out more than once for saying the hawks only have one actual defenseman in Keith. Seabs is done, Murphy is mediocre at best, and everyone else is AHL caliber, at best. I’ve been told “I don’t watch games” or know what I’m talking about. It showed tonight. Turnover central, and an 8-7 game that the only reason the hawks won was because of the cat and Kaner.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018

You can't headshot, which isn't effective D anyways. Jesus, it's like you missed all the clutch and grab from the 90s and only remember highlight hits.

Offensive players have gotten better and bad d-men haven't kept up. Not sure how taking runs at guys would solve that.

Esq

in terrorem
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2009
Village in the City
I can’t find the thread at the moment, but I’ve been called out more than once for saying the hawks only have one actual defenseman in Keith. Seabs is done, Murphy is mediocre at best, and everyone else is AHL caliber, at best. I’ve been told “I don’t watch games” or know what I’m talking about. It showed tonight. Turnover central, and an 8-7 game that the only reason the hawks won was because of the cat and Kaner.

I’ll call you out right here for labeling Gus “AHL caliber”

cliffclaven

Nov 29, 2018
You can't headshot, which isn't effective D anyways. Jesus, it's like you missed all the clutch and grab from the 90s and only remember highlight hits.

Offensive players have gotten better and bad d-men haven't kept up. Not sure how taking runs at guys would solve that.
Who said anything about head shots? I didn’t. Headshots have no place in the league. The problem is, you can’t hit anyone in open ice anymore without a penalty, fine, or suspension. Because your jersey clipped their visor, resulting in “head contact”. I’ve at least seen a few “hits” in the sj/Boston game but if that’s “physicality” then it’s a joke.

“Taking runs” has nothing to do with physicality or playing defense.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
I know you've been criticized, I've been one of the ones who's critized you and I have damn good reason.

You saying Murphy is 'mediocre at best' is flat out wrong. He's a good middle pairing guy.

And Gustafsson isn't an AHL caliber player, if for no other reason than his offensive play. His defense isn't so bad that there would be any team uninterested in having him and his offensive skills, again he's top 20 in points.

Jokiharju, Dahlstrom, Koekkoek, and Forsling have their warts, but they are all young and inexperienced, which is a part of the reason for our struggles (though I think the whole team's defense is the biggest issue IMO).

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dec 17, 2018
Who said anything about head shots? I didn’t. Headshots have no place in the league. The problem is, you can’t hit anyone in open ice anymore without a penalty, fine, or suspension. Because your jersey clipped their visor, resulting in “head contact”. I’ve at least seen a few “hits” in the sj/Boston game but if that’s “physicality” then it’s a joke.

“Taking runs” has nothing to do with physicality or playing defense.

Oh come on, you know that's exaggerating. I didn't like the Karlsson suspension, for instance, but the number of suspensions for non-headshot headshots is pretty low. I see zero connection between the crackdown on head contact and the increase in scoring- that's all skill imo.

PS- If you're watching Bruins/Sharks, Mcavoy just went for the body- led to an offensive chance for SJ. Checking has its uses, but it doesn't usually serve to directly limit scoring. It's a riskier play than just covering the man.

cliffclaven

Nov 29, 2018
Oh come on, you know that's exaggerating. I didn't like the Karlsson suspension, for instance, but the number of suspensions for non-headshot headshots is pretty low. I see zero connection between the crackdown on head contact and the increase in scoring- that's all skill imo.
The karlsson hit was as clean as it gets, so was Ian coles in Calgary. So was reaves on Wilson. They all paid thousands. Clean hits=suspensions and 5+ a game anymore.

There absolutely is a correlation. No hits because you’re worried about a suspension=offensive players skating unimpeded. I can’t tell you how many games I’ve seen this year where someone scores between the dots surrounded by 2-3 opposing players swinging their sticks around instead of actually taking the body. That’s why scoring is up.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dec 17, 2018
The karlsson hit was as clean as it gets, so was Ian coles in Calgary. So was reaves on Wilson. They all paid thousands. Clean hits=suspensions and 5+ a game anymore.

There absolutely is a correlation. No hits because you’re worried about a suspension=offensive players skating unimpeded. I can’t tell you how many games I’ve seen this year where someone scores between the dots surrounded by 2-3 opposing players swinging their sticks around instead of actually taking the body. That’s why scoring is up.

Ya, I'm just gonna disagree with that 100%- you can still take the body. Guys do. To have a headshot even register with the league office requires the hit to have some force, it means the guy committed to that one option. It's great when it works, but it's not the best pure D move cause if ya miss the guy is by ya, and even if ya make the hit the puck could end up on another guy's stick. In between those two extremes- a big hit and letting the guy by ya- is a world of physicality that players utilize 99.9% of the time. But players are faster and better now and that has benefited offensive players more than D players. I see dudes do stuff with the puck that was unheard of in the 90s, and the D can only defend 'em so many ways. That's why scoring is up.

cliffclaven

Nov 29, 2018
And I would counter that guys do “stuff that was unheard of with the puck” because they have zero worries about getting drilled. I’m wondering how long it takes until skating with your head down is the norm.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad