Post-Game Talk: 9 games over

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Was hoping the Oilers would play a lot different than. The last outting against the Habs due to rested legs, but Habs pretty much dominated again. Lots of interference and bullshit on their end that the refs let go. Have a feeling Oilers would have been let go if they played the same game, but we didn’t match their bending of the rules. Habs look to have the Oilers number.

McDrai looked gassed again in OT.

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
I feel the Habs are going to be a tough out without fans.

They have this total New Jersey devil vibe when I watch them. The hockey is f***ing boring.
They contain McDavid and Leon and turn the game into a game of bounces. Basically remove the skill from the game and pray. Works well against us there's no doubt.
Edmonton still isn't a team that can play against this. Need more soldiers engaged and our lineup isn't that type. You think RNH is going to pound through traffic to help out Leon/McD generate.
Fight for those hard areas... nope.

Usually the best way to beat the trap is with some emotion and dogged determination.
We just can't bring it every game in the regular season. Hopefully the playoffs are different.

We're a good team against weaker teams. But there's not enough fight in this team to win regular season games against strong defensive orientated opponents.

The Ottawa/Calgary/Vancouver games don't mean shit going forward.
It's the Montreal/Winnipeg games that are left that will give me an indication of where this team is.

They had no excuses tonight. Not a bad result considering what I saw on the Ice though.
I didn't think this game was much better than the last one to be honest, only the score flattered them more imo.

In the end it's going to be awesome to get in the playoffs. I'm hoping our give a shit o meter rises up to the likes of Montreal and Toronto's.
I hope what we're witnessing is these teams are f***ing pumped to play McDavid during the regular season.

Come playoff time when we work as hard and as desperate as them. Perhaps we can even the gap between Montreal and Toronto.
That's what I'm hoping. Because if this is what we see in a 7 game playoff series.. we're in big trouble.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
So with the regular season in mind... would you say the Senators would have a better chance at beating the leafs in the playoffs?
Than us? Probably.

Do you forget that last year Chicago wasn't good, but was very good against us in the regular season and beat us in the playin.

Some teams just have certain teams numbers, even if they are worse teams overall. It happens.

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
Was hoping the Oilers would play a lot different than. The last outting against the Habs due to rested legs, but Habs pretty much dominated again. Lots of interference and bullshit on their end that the refs let go. Have a feeling Oilers would have been let go if they played the same game, but we didn’t match their bending of the rules. Habs look to have the Oilers number.

McDrai looked gassed again in OT.
OT is not our friend :(

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Montreal played another good game against us. I see a lot of complaints about the "boring" style and the "most boring OT ever" but this is how a lot of teams are playing the OT now, and particularly against a club that can put McDrai Nurse out there. When teams get the puck the object is to play keepaway and keep numbers back. Don't get exposed, cardinal rule don't give McDrai a 2 on 1. I mean thats the way an opponent SHOULD play us in OT. I have no problem with it because its sensible system play.

Maybe its just pure frustration but some of the comments last night crying about this game are all kinds of strange. Posters outing McDrai, saying they are "Doing nothing" blaming Smith, lol, blaming Tippett. I mean its to the extent that people even critique the good decisions. Tippett calls a time out in OT, allowing McDrai to rest and people are on him calling him an idiot because he doesn't make sensible on ice decisions like this more often. So in effect Tippett does the right thing, and somehow gets nailed for it. People even blaming him for starting Smith.

Sometimes maybe its good to settle back before posting and realizing that hours of rage posting after a game saying just about anything is not all too coherent for readers. I think people are just really frustrated that its quite clear Habs would have our number in a playoff series.

Finally this is what Montreal did to us after losing Gallagher in the first period. The Oilers got breaks in this game. 2 end of period goals that are typically back breakers for opponents but instead Habs break us starting early in 3rd period getting one back and almost tying the game just minutes into the 3rd. Despite a great performance from Smith, despite 2 fortunate goals, despite a rocket shot from Nurse, we still lose.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Montreal played another good game against us. I see a lot of complaints about the "boring" style and the "most boring OT ever" but this is how a lot of teams are playing the OT now, and particularly against a club that can put McDrai Nurse out there. When teams get the puck the object is to play keepaway and keep numbers back. Don't get exposed, cardinal rule don't give McDrai a 2 on 1. I mean thats the way an opponent SHOULD play us in OT. I have no problem with it because its sensible system play.

Maybe its just pure frustration but some of the comments last night crying about this game are all kinds of strange. Posters outing McDrai, saying they are "Doing nothing" blaming Smith, lol, blaming Tippett. I mean its to the extent that people even critique the good decisions. Tippett calls a time out in OT, allowing McDrai to rest and people are on him calling him an idiot because he doesn't make sensible on ice decisions like this more often. So in effect Tippett does the right thing, and somehow gets nailed for it. People even blaming him for starting Smith.

Sometimes maybe its good to settle back before posting and realizing that hours of rage posting after a game saying just about anything is not all too coherent for readers. I think people are just really frustrated that its quite clear Habs would have our number in a playoff series.

Finally this is what Montreal did to us after losing Gallagher in the first period. The Oilers got breaks in this game. 2 end of period goals that are typically back breakers for opponents but instead Habs break us starting early in 3rd period getting one back and almost tying the game just minutes into the 3rd. Despite a great performance from Smith, despite 2 fortunate goals, despite a rocket shot from Nurse, we still lose.
When you get beat by the same team in the same fashion multiple times in the same season and no reasonable adjustments are made, people are going to be frustrated especially when we're heading into the playoffs looking depthless (again) and vulnerable.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Edmundson
Toffoli
Anderson
Allen
Perry
Staal

Those are the useful acquisitions Habs have made since last season. Basically ANY of them would be immense help for us. Together they help the Habs run our show.

These are the useful adds Holland has given us since last season;

Barrie.

Count the flailing away at TDL last season and its still just Barrie. AA crashed and burned here, Greene didn't even want to play here. So that we got no actual help then either.

We're in the last week of any hope for change and still nothing. The team is pretty much emphasizing they are not good enough. Two of the players Holland added, Kahun, Turris are scratched/benched repeatedly. Kassian, who Holland threw an overpayment at isnt playing good enough to be in the lineup. Even the vaunted Lucic for Neal deal is looking plain ugly right now. We can't even play dead Neal.

Reactions: Aerchon

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Edmundson
Toffoli
Anderson
Allen
Perry
Staal

Those are the useful acquisitions Habs have made since last season. Basically ANY of them would be immense help for us. Together they help the Habs run our show.

Barrie.

Count the flailing away at TDL last season and its still just Barrie. AA crashed and burned here, Greene didn't even want to play here. So that we got no actual help then either.

We're in the last week of any hope for change and still nothing. The team is pretty much emphasizing they are not good enough. Two of the players Holland added, Kahun, Turris are scratched/benched repeatedly. Kassian, who Holland threw an overpayment at isnt playing good enough to be in the lineup. Even the vaunted Lucic for Neal deal is looking plain ugly right now. We can't even play dead Neal.
Pro scouting for this org continues to be non-existent.

Reactions: Sweetpotato

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
When you get beat by the same team in the same fashion multiple times in the same season and no reasonable adjustments are made, people are going to be frustrated especially when we're heading into the playoffs looking depthless (again) and vulnerable.

If by reasonable adjustments you mean Holland actually obtaining some help, yes, then I agree. I don't know what reasonable adjustments Tippett can make to try to build lines using around 6 pretend NHL players every night. This continues to be a roster problem every game.

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
Tippett should try:

RNH-McDavid-Yamamoto
Kahun-Draisaitl-Puljujarvi

I mean, why not? Your job is to try all the combinations.

Yes.

Puljujarvi's not clicking with McDavid recently, and I've always liked McDavid - Yamamoto together. I'd run either what you have or:

Puljujarvi - McDavid - Yamamoto
Nuge - Draisaitl - Kahun

Reactions: Paralyzer008

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
If by reasonable adjustments you mean Holland actually obtaining some help, yes, then I agree. I don't know what reasonable adjustments Tippett can make to try to build lines using around 6 pretend NHL players every night. This continues to be a roster problem every game.
As I've stated multiple times in this thread, the small time Drai/RNH spent together at even strength generated something.

I'm not a big fan of Holland but I'm even less of a fan of those who keep finding these crap additions.

Unfortunately after this year we have to deal with Vegas again and they'll run our show every day of the week.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Kassian got benched last night. I missed that or what happened specifically but his 9mins is the least he's had all season. Is he even drawing into the lineup next game? Healthy scratch or message sent. Maybe a consequence for taking dumb penalties. In anycase I don't like where this is headed. Another contract that will soon be unplayable. We seem to have a taxi squad of players that we can't even play making pretty good dough.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Kassian got benched last night. I missed that or what happened specifically but his 9mins is the least he's had all season. Is he even drawing into the lineup next game? Healthy scratch or message sent. Maybe a consequence for taking dumb penalties. In anycase I don't like where this is headed. Another contract that will soon be unplayable. We seem to have a taxi squad of players that we can't even play making pretty good dough.
Tippett would rather die on a cross than play any of the taxi squad players.

Reactions: Little Fury

Blue Line Turnover

Oct 26, 2006

I don't mean to sound insensitive to past struggles, but Kassian honestly looked he was playing drunk last night. He was making odd plays, leaving the zone without the puck when he was the only one close one to it, missing players by five feet with passes, looking disinterested or detached, etc.

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I don't mean to sound insensitive to past struggles, but Kassian honestly looked he was playing drunk last night. He was making odd plays, leaving the zone without the puck when he was the only one close one to it, missing player's by five feet with passes, looking disinterested or detached, etc.

I'm sure Tippett has seen enough of this and I won't comment on my similar view of what Kassian looked like in the play ins and leading up to it. Something really off with him and given his history its hard not to speculate.

This was a game officiated in such a way as to make allowances for his type of play, and it was a physical game. he threw a couple checks, made a couple passes, but a non entity and 9minutes. This is a shot across the bow from Tippett. Interestingly the only other time this season Kass saw as little as 9mins was a BOA. So Tippett is sending messages that not even in games that Kass would think he is needed in, is he used much.

Pretty sure the welcome mat isn't out.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I'm sure Tippett has seen enough of this and I won't comment on my similar view of what Kassian looked like in the play ins and leading up to it. Something really off with him and given his history its hard not to speculate.

This was a game officiated in such a way as to make allowances for his type of play, and it was a physical game. he threw a couple checks, made a couple passes, but a non entity and 9minutes. This is a shot across the bow from Tippett. Interestingly the only other time this season Kass saw as little as 9mins was a BOA. So Tippett is sending messages that not even in games that Kass would think he is needed in, is he used much.

Pretty sure the welcome mat isn't out.
Kassian has been like this for about 80% of the games since the 2017 playoffs. Why Holland extended him is something I'll never understand.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
On the positive side; make trades of some players if tthey have a good game- sell high.

I think Kassian, Ennis (obvious he wobt get a new contract here), Nygård, Chiasson, Jones wont play here next season, so sell them high.

Esp the right wingers could net something.!

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Edmundson
Toffoli
Anderson
Allen
Perry
Staal

Barrie.

This season has been strange. Holland and Tippett both imo have made such questionable decisions in their time here and yet have surpassed regular season expectations to date.

But have failed to deliver a playoff performance yet and I personally do not watch this club and think they are a "good" team. I have no faith in the team despite statistically being a solid playoff team.

I feel this team is succeeding in spite of those two and will again fail in the playoffs in a big way.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Edmundson
Toffoli
Anderson
Allen
Perry
Staal

Barrie.

It really helps that the Habs actually had cap to use.

Reactions: TB12

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Edmundson
Toffoli
Anderson
Allen
Perry
Staal

Barrie.

cap space is a hell of a thing

Montreal had it last season
Oilers did not

Reactions: TB12

CrazyJoeDavola

Jun 17, 2011
No excuse for not having Benson/Marody up here as well as Bouch playing. This team could literally not break the puck out all game long because we have Russell/Jones/Bear/Larsson...etc who are all absolute braindead duds with the puck.

We're getting screwed by another McLellan who refuses to make any adjustments as well as another shitty GM. GGs.

Reactions: Zamknij kurwa ryj

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016

I just don't understand why people are so angry/frustrated. I said this in another thread, but this team is exactly where it should be.

All year everyone has been saying the leafs are the class of the division and everyone else is battling for 2nd. Here we are, battling for second while still having a shot at first, and people are still bitching that the team just isn't good enough.

Say a couple of those TO games go our way, and we drop a couple of the Ottawa games like TO has. The team is still sitting right where they are. Or if 2/3 of those Leaf/Habs losses went our way, the Oil are then sitting in first place despite being a class below the team that's been deemed the cream of our division.

I literally don't understand half of what people are even complaining about anymore because most of it just seems like whining for the sake of whining.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad