Post-Game Talk: #9 | Ducks 6 at FLYERS 2 | Tue. Oct. 24, 7:00 pm ET

NYCFlyer

Nov 23, 2002
NYC
Im not sure what the coaching staff was thinking changing all three defense pairs to groupings that had never really played much/well together. Defense is a lot about communication and maybe you get lucky and one of the pairs click but Hagg and Provy had no idea what the other was doing, passed to nowhere, blew coverages etc. Thats a lack of experience and poor coaching and doesn't reflect so much on the player other than a lack of experience.

In my opinion, the next two games will tell a lot about the team and especially the coaching staff to see how they adjust. Unfortunately i wasn't at the game (easier to tell live) but Gudas poor decision to fight Bieksa seemed to change the game and I felt Anaheim intimidated us and took over the game.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Hagg played with Provorov several times in preseason, and of course in last year's regular season finale.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
This ice has really been a disappointment this year as well. Did they bring in a new head of ice making or something? If so, he should be replaced immediately.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
I'm worried about Elliot. He had some solid plays but overall he has been very leaky at times and now has two games that I've seen where he's let in some really terrible goals.

This is a summary of Elliott's career. I can't say I am worried in the sense that he is being uncharacteristically poor, just that Hakstol will continue to go to him as a co-starter despite the growing evidence. I don't know what the magic number is for 1A starts for Neuvirth without him breaking down, but it is clear who should be the first option in nets in a vacuum.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
This ice has really been a disappointment this year as well. Did they bring in a new head of ice making or something? If so, he should be replaced immediately.

Could it be because it has been an unseasonably warm fall in Philly?

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I'm worried about Elliot. He had some solid plays but overall he has been very leaky at times and now has two games that I've seen where he's let in some really terrible goals.

I think that's just who he is, Beefarino. Somebody in the GDT I think said "We got $2 million worth of goalie there" and I think that is very true. Hexy decided to go for the cheapest reasonable option hoping to catch lightning in a bottle, but we are going to be catching turds in a toilet with him now and again. I think it's best we all just adjust our expectations accordingly and strap in for a bumpy ride. That fifth goal was a ****ing joke, though, by anyone's standards.

Reactions: BernieParent

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
Quote from Getzlaf:

“The fight was a big thing for us,” Ducks center Ryan Getzlaf said. “Sometimes it can get some momentum for you. Getting in there and building some momentum for our group, and we built off of it.”

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
The3 game was kinda even at the point of the fight and when gudas went down the ducks took over and it game set match. Our team just skates,shoots,and passes but no board play at all or energy players.

I know, and what he says could be true, but he's one of these guys who tries to play s***ty passive aggressive mind games at times. You could see in his reaction to his fluke goal the way he was playing it up. He's as much of a prick as Kessler, but in a different way. He's an excellent hockey player, but I can't really stand him.

Foggy14

Sep 13, 2017
On a positive note, Snoopy got his first NHL point last night.

giphy.gif

Of course, he was dangerously out of position and the coaches are working to "fix" his rover tendencies at today's practice. :wg:

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
I know, and what he says could be true, but he's one of these guys who tries to play s***ty passive aggressive mind games at times. You could see in his reaction to his fluke goal the way he was playing it up. He's as much of a prick as Kessler, but in a different way. He's an excellent hockey player, but I can't really stand him.
LOL feel the same way.

Hurricane28

Angry Flyers STH/Weather Guy
Aug 22, 2012
South Jersey
Well that was a clunker, Manning was about as bad as expected. Turned about as fast as the speed of a railroad turntable on the second goal, then on the PK just letting Rakell go all alone in front. First line was good, and Sanheim was good as well.

I wonder if Hak sticks with the D pairs that he had for the second half of the game with

Provorov-Sanheim
Ghost-Hagg
Manning-Gudas

If Patrick is hurt I think you have to break up the first line

40-28-17
11-14-93
15-51-22
20-21-12

Foggy14

Sep 13, 2017

Interesting SI article, from early in the year, discussing ice problems throughout the League.

https://www.si.com/tech-media/2017/02/28/concerns-about-nhl-ice-conditions

The facilities guys and gals are under a lot of pressure to use less energy while, at the same time, maintaining great ice. Not an easy task.

https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-names-constellation-its-official-energy-provider/c-744674

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad