Post-Game Talk: #9 | Ducks 6 at FLYERS 2 | Tue. Oct. 24, 7:00 pm ET

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Lehtera is only playing because of injuries, Weise has already been demoted, Manning is playing because of injuries.
They're not exactly "depending" on veterans.
And it's obvious these veterans aren't blocking kids, Hextall sent Read down to play Leier.

Hextall just is on a different timetable than many fans.
And last night shows what happens when you play 5 inexperienced D-men in tough circumstances.
Hextall isn't making the moves Holmgren made because he doesn't have an open checkbook and no cap - Holmgren bought his way out of mistakes, Hextall can't.

In a year or two, when they hit "critical mass", Hextall will start making those 2 prospects and a 2nd rd pick for a starting caliber player moves.
I doubt that will happen this year for two reasons:
1) they're not good enough for that kind of deal to make a significant difference
2) he wants to clear out some veterans to make room and retain cap flexibility
Wrong.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Hak logic dictates that since Anaheim is a "heavy team", he should break up a decent line in order to play a crap player that just got demoted in favor of Jori Lehtera.
He thinks size + "leadership" > skill + speed + brains

I guess he missed how the wins this year were largely from outskating opponents. They looked so much better than last year... but of course the coach tries to ruin that by going back to what didn't work.

Reactions: BillDineen

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I noticed how they outskated Anaheim, Konecny's 2 goals . . .
Oh, different game?
My bad.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

Did-that-go-the-way-you-thought-The-Other-Guys.gif

Reactions: Striiker

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
People resist the Truth, and it causes them pain.
Come over to the Process. It will set you free.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
People resist the Truth, and it causes them pain.
Come over to the Process. It will set you free.

That's another thing that actually drives me super mental, your constant references to the NBA and that Sam Hinkie character. I'm super happy for you and the Sixers, since Dr. J and Mo Cheeks rule, but what in God's green f*** does that have to do with anything? I probably shouldn't speak, since I'm bringing up constant non-sequitors, but for f***'s sake, head. That was a rhetorical question, please don't answer me - I am on the 7th floor of my building and my laptop won't survive the flight from the balcony.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Nah, if I was going Trump on you, I'd question your manhood, tweet three lies before breakfast, point out the Cap'n is some sort of foreign terrorist doing drugs in the Thai jungle, and yell "Fake News" at anything questioning my actions or judgement.

Hextall is doing his version of the "Process," collect as many assets as you can, patiently build up the talent base, then when the team is ready to compete, make your move.

I was surprised when I actually looked at Toronto's roster, their "youth movement" basically consistents of drafting Matthews, Marner, Rylander and Reilly in the top 10 between 2012-15, the other under 25 players are basically scrubs. Hextall didn't have that luxury (unless he wanted to/could trade Giroux, Voracek, Simmonds for picks and a massive tank) until he got lucky with Patrick, guys taken in the late 1st rd tend to take a couple years longer to mature than guys at the top of the draft. So he's going for quantity and hope that a few rise to the top.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Hextall is doing his version of the "Process," collect as many assets as you can, patiently build up the talent base, then when the team is ready to compete, make your move.

Except as you well know, Hinkie never put artificial caps on players like they've done with Morin and others. "You're a defensive guy. Focus on that." Hinkie would rather pull his fingernails out with a hatchet than ever say something like that. You encourage players to grow, period. It's why Brett Brown has been so important.

Reactions: Rebels57

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Of course they have defined roles, RoCo is a 3 and D, they're trying to develop Anderson as a 3 & D, Simmons is a point forward, etc.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Of course they have defined roles, RoCo is a 3 and D, they're trying to develop Anderson as a 3 & D, Simmons is a point forward, etc.
Those roles are not restrictive, though. They didn't tell Simmons or Anderson not to worry about their shots and just focus on their defense/playmaking. They continually pushed the entire team to get better in all facets and add dimensions to their game. It's hockey culture nonsense.

I'm glad you brought up Covington specifically. Think back to what he was when he was signed. That player bears no resemblance to what he is today or the role anyone would have envisioned for him at the time. They allowed him to grow naturally and encouraged what emerged. The Flyers tend to start with a conclusion and then tell the player to fit, which will never, ever be correct. You understand that process is more important than results, so I know I'm preaching to the choir a bit, but why is it ok that we'll never know if Sam Morin had offensive upside? Don't give me the organizational answer. Tell me why you as a self-proclaimed Process person think that's acceptable.

Reactions: Rebels57

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
That's just nonsense. Covington is a limited player who is used in certain roles which play up to his strengths. They don't want him handling the ball, and they only want him driving when there's a clear path b/c he's an average athlete. His strengths are rebounding, quick hands and anticipation on defense and open three point shots (he can't create his own shot). When he plays outside those parameters he struggles.

Simmons doesn't shoot outside of 10 feet right now because he's years away from developing a reliable outside shot. . . .

And BB stresses defense over offense, hmmm . . .

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
That's just nonsense. Covington is a limited player who is used in certain roles which play up to his strengths. They don't want him handling the ball, and they only want him driving when there's a clear path b/c he's an average athlete. His strengths are rebounding, quick hands and anticipation on defense and open three point shots (he can't create his own shot). When he plays outside those parameters he struggles.

Simmons doesn't shoot outside of 10 feet right now because he's years away from developing a reliable outside shot. . . .

And BB stresses defense over offense, hmmm . . .
Again, why is it ok for Morin to be told not to worry about developing an offensive game?

Covington when he came here was a completely different player. No one expected him to develop the way he has. I'm not talking about level of player. There is not one person on the planet who reasonably had these kinds of defensive expectations for him in 2014-15. Look at his shot splits from 2015-16 to now. He was taking over 8% of his shots with 3+ dribbles that year. He takes something in the range of 10% (might be a little high, I'm going off of memory) more of his shots off the catch now than he did in his first full season. They didn't bring Covington in and say everyone thinks you're a stretch 4 because you're not athletic enough to guard wings (and remember, this WAS the opinion), so that's what you are. Make it work.

If your approach is to overwhelm the odds with numbers, that makes sense. But then you can't turn around and pick and choose which guys are limited because you're artificially cutting your own odds.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad