Not open for further replies.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
I suggested moving one of the best players in the league to our vacant 1st line RW. It's actually a promotion:laugh: You guys are the experts though.

I don't mind the idea, so shoot me!

Looch Krejc Berby
Marchand Soderburg Smith
Gagne Kelly Eriksson
Paille Campbell Robins/Spooner

Point is: our 1st line sucks so deal with people thinking outside the box to try and fix it...

If you noticed, you wanted Bergeron at wing to accommodate Spooner at center. Yet now you have Spooner at wing? Sorry, but this is too far out of the box for anyone to seriously consider. You will sooner see McQuaid and Boychuck at wing.

member 96824

If you noticed, you wanted Bergeron at wing to accommodate Spooner at center. Yet now you have Spooner at wing? Sorry, but this is too far out of the box for anyone to seriously consider. You will sooner see McQuaid and Boychuck at wing.

Boychuk has played more wing than Spooner.

Think about that

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Boychuk has played more wing than Spooner.

Think about that

And nobody is moving a two time Selke winner and best face off man in the league to wing to accommodate Boychuk at wing.

Braunbaer

May 21, 2012
Bergeron on RW with Spooner at C wouldn't be the worst idea.

Bergy did play RW on several occasions in his career.

Root

Feb 22, 2010

If we had two Bergerons I would be all for it.

Unfortunately, we do not.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011

He played wing because we (and/or Team Canada) had better options at center at the time. He's since developed into a top 3 shutdown center, and the best face off man on planet earth. You don't move a player like that to wing to play a rookie.

Braunbaer

May 21, 2012
He played wing because we (and/or Team Canada) had better options at center at the time. He's since developed into a top 3 shutdown center, and the best face off man on planet earth. You don't move a player like that to wing to play a rookie.

He also played wing in Switzerland.
His C was Metropolit.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
He also played wing in Switzerland.
His C was Metropolit.

Are you seriously suggesting the the two-time Selke award winning center who just scored 30 goals last year should be moved to wing to accommodate a rookie? And you are using the fact that he played wing for the Swiss during a lockout as solid reasoning? I see no good argument to move one of the best centers in the game to wing for anyone not in the same stratosphere with guys like Crosby, Giroux, and Toews. No matter what some Swiss coach did.

Ten Thousand Hours

Aug 17, 2010
Boston
And THAT'S why we have only won a single Cup in the last decade. Get on it Claude!

#Bergy2defense

You joke about moving Bergeron to defense, but that's actually something I'd consider doing. Not permanently obviously. Not in any important games of course. And not even for entire games. But I think playing some 5x5 d could help him to the point where he could play defense in a 4x4 situation (which he sometimes does in OT) or more importantly, if we're down 2 goals late in a playoff game or something

pkunit

Jun 18, 2010
Calgary
A promotion?

Are you familiar with this here Boston Bruins hockey team?

Virtually everyone who follows or covers this team views these lines as a 1a and 1b, not a "first and second" line, so no, it's not a promotion and you've also now weakened every line that follows.

There's "outside the box" ideas and there's "terrible, horrible, no-good, very bad" ideas. Bergeron on the wing is an example of the latter.

Two questions;

Do you honestly believe that this Bruins team with Krejci/Söderberg/Kelly is better than a team with Krejci/Bergeron/Söderberg? Really?

Why would you take a Selke-winning center and put him on the wing to think it makes the team stronger?

(By the way, the "Canada did it in the Olympics" example is terribad. If you don't know the difference in talent depth between Team Canada and the Bruins then I'm thinking this isn't a good discussion for you).

Where is this 1A line you speak of? And who is on it? Do you follow this team? We don't have the same look anymore with Iginla having moved on.

In my opinion the Bergeron line is now our best line, cause you can't plug a Fraser or whoever on 1A and expect the lines to remain a 1-2 punch. We would have a weak 1st line and a strong second. So keep up with the times Marshmont.

I was kidding when I said promotion, but since you don't seem to understand how to rate talent here you go. Bergeron trades Marchand and Smith for Lucic and Krejci. Virtually everyone who follows or covers this team views Lucic as the best power forward in the league, and Krejci as one of the best playoff performers.;) I'm thinking this isn't a good topic for you either...

Anyways, here's another lineup you can shred. Have fun with it.

Marchand Krejci Bergeron
Lucic Soderburg Eriksson
Gagne Kelly Smith
Paille Campbell Robins
Spooner

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Where is this 1A line you speak of? And who is on it? Do you follow this team? We don't have the same look anymore with Iginla having moved on.

In my opinion the Bergeron line is now our best line, cause you can't plug a Fraser or whoever on 1A and expect the lines to remain a 1-2 punch. We would have a weak 1st line and a strong second. So keep up with the times Marshmont.

I was kidding when I said promotion, but since you don't seem to understand how to rate talent here you go. Bergeron trades Marchand and Smith for Lucic and Krejci. Virtually everyone who follows or covers this team views Lucic as the best power forward in the league, and Krejci as one of the best playoff performers.;) I'm thinking this isn't a good topic for you either...

Anyways, here's another lineup you can shred. Have fun with it.

Marchand Krejci Bergeron
Lucic Soderburg Eriksson
Gagne Kelly Smith
Paille Campbell Robins
Spooner

Centers require a special skill set. Bergeron is one of the best in the league at that special skill set, with the awards to prove it. You simply don't move a Selke winner to wing. You move Chris Kelly to wing. You move Greg Campbell to wing. You even move Carl Soderberg to wing. In fact, you move David Freaking Krejci to wing, before you move Patrice Bergeron to wing.

pkunit

Jun 18, 2010
Calgary
Centers require a special skill set. Bergeron is one of the best in the league at that special skill set, with the awards to prove it. You simply don't move a Selke winner to wing. You move Chris Kelly to wing. You move Greg Campbell to wing. You even move Carl Soderberg to wing. In fact, you move David Freaking Krejci to wing, before you move Patrice Bergeron to wing.

Thx I was unaware of these rules.

member 96824

I think Hossa deserves selke consideration every year :shrug:

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Thx I was unaware of these rules.

You may be being sarcastic, but the responsibilities of the center position, especially in the defensive end, are three times that of a winger. Any idiot can play wing (hell, I did it, there's your proof!), but to be a center requires more. To be the best defensive center in the league requires a even higher, more elite talent, dedication, and work ethic. If you have a Selke class center, you don't waste that skill set on the wing, regardless of how bad you need a winger.

Sometimes I get the idea that Bruins fans, especially newer ones, have no clue just how blessed we are to have a Patrice Bergeron. It's threads like these that give that idea credence. :shakehead

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
I think Hossa deserves selke consideration every year :shrug:

You may have a point, but it is a testament to the center position's defensive role in the NHL today that the Selke almost always goes to a center.

Minny Shinny

Dec 23, 2011
probably at the airport
Where is this 1A line you speak of?.....

I have zero interest in addressing your post, shredding your new "out of the box" lineup or whatever words you're posting until you decide you want to stop avoiding the questions I posed you and answer two simple queries.

Do you honestly believe that this Bruins team with Krejci/Söderberg/Kelly is better than a team with Krejci/Bergeron/Söderberg? Really?

Why would you take a Selke-winning center and put him on the wing to think it makes the team stronger?

Last edited:

pkunit

Jun 18, 2010
Calgary
You may be being sarcastic, but the responsibilities of the center position, especially in the defensive end, are three times that of a winger. Any idiot can play wing (hell, I did it, there's your proof!), but to be a center requires more. To be the best defensive center in the league requires a even higher, more elite talent, dedication, and work ethic. If you have a Selke class center, you don't waste that skill set on the wing, regardless of how bad you need a winger.

Sometimes I get the idea that Bruins fans, especially newer ones, have no clue just how blessed we are to have a Patrice Bergeron. It's threads like these that give that idea credence. :shakehead

So Bergeron could be elite anywhere...
I have zero interest in addressing your post, shredding your new "out of the box" lineup or whatever words you're posting until you decide you want to stop avoiding the questions I posed you and answer two simple queries.

You're missing 6 players in your proposal, It's hard to say:dunno:
We currently have no 1A 1B situation as I said. So to get back to the 1-2 punch you speak of, a mix up is necessary IMO

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
So Bergeron could be elite anywhere...

Yes, but it is much harder to find an elite, Selke caliber center than an elite wing, so when you get one (and not every team gets one), the dumbest thing you can do is waste that Selke caliber center at wing!

Minny Shinny

Dec 23, 2011
probably at the airport
You're missing 6 players in your proposal, It's hard to say:dunno:
We currently have no 1A 1B situation as I said. So to get back to the 1-2 punch you speak of, a mix up is necessary IMO

I'm not talking about wings.

I'm talking about how the center position is structured with the team that the Bruins ice. It's not that novel a concept nor difficult to discuss since "down the middle" is a term thrown about frequently by commentators, analysts and fans alike.

It's a yes or no question, and you've now managed to avoid it twice, so I'll give you one last opportunity; in fact, I'll even take the question out about removing the Selke-winning center out of his natural position and just leave you to answer a simple yes or no to the first question.

Do you honestly believe that this Bruins team with Krejci/Söderberg/Kelly is better than a team with Krejci/Bergeron/Söderberg? (down the middle)

pkunit

Jun 18, 2010
Calgary
This teams Philosophy of depth in the middle is apparent, and has been for a long while. The Bruins still have rediculous strength up the middle, and you could argue we have focused on that more than we have on wingers and it has come to a crossroads of sorts. Krecji, Bergy, Yeti, Kelly, Campbell, Spooner, Koko, etc is one hell of an accomplishment by management, but the lack of and mismanagement of wingers has, and continues to hinder the team. Our wingers are a patchwork that takes away from the teams ability to role the 4 line attack we've grown used to.

Deep at Center, week on the wing, and the Bruins are broke. I

1st- The Krejci line would not just be better, but fixed forever.
2nd-Soderberg is a strong 2nd liner, so deal with it
3rd-Kelly is a strong 3rd liner, so deal with it
4th-Campbell is as good as any...

Last edited by a moderator:

Lobster57

Nov 22, 2006
Victoria, BC
jesus. has the season started yet? why in the blue hell would you move Bergeron to the wing? Only if you already had Crosby, Malkin, Toews and....uhhh... Yzerman found a time machine and knee-fixer machine and came back as his 28 year old self.

pkunit

Jun 18, 2010
Calgary
jesus. has the season started yet? why in the blue hell would you move Bergeron to the wing? Only if you already had Crosby, Malkin, Toews and....uhhh... Yzerman found a time machine and knee-fixer machine and came back as his 28 year old self.

Well I for one don't think the bruins can win as is. Our top line is weak without a star RW. They're not even a top 10 line as is...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad