GDT: 9/30 Boston Bruins vs. NY Islanders 7pm ET NESN, NHLN, 98.5 FM

Status
Not open for further replies.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
I know the Bergy,Marchand chemistry is real, but how about this for a solution.

Lucic Krejci Bergeron
Marchand Spooner Smith
Kelly Soderburg Eriksson
Paille Campbell Gagne

Now instead of a 1A and a 1B, We have a true #1 line with an interchangeable 2A/2B...

So we take our 2 time Selke winning, 30 goal scoring, best faceoff man in the world, shutdown center and play him at wing?

Ahhh, that's a big NO!

pkunit

Jun 18, 2010
Calgary
So we take our 2 time Selke winning, 30 goal scoring, best faceoff man in the world, shutdown center and play him at wing?

Ahhh, that's a big NO!

It was just a thought. Bergy played there for team Canada so that's what made me think of it.

Also, it puts Spooner in a good position to succeed.

And don't forget that Bergy can still take important draws in all situations,like he did for team Canada.

Ideally Pasta or Gagne play beyond expectation and fill that void.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
It was just a thought. Bergy played there for team Canada so that's what made me think of it.

And don't forget that Bergy can still take important draws in all situations,like he did for team Canada.

Bergy played there for Canada because he was behind Crosby, Toews, etc. A team of superstars can afford to put Bergeron on the wing. No way in hell Spooner should be center over Bergeron on this team.

pkunit

Jun 18, 2010
Calgary
Bergy played there for Canada because he was behind Crosby, Toews, etc. A team of superstars can afford to put Bergeron on the wing. No way in hell Spooner should be center over Bergeron on this team.

This is off topic but I disagree. Bergy played there to allow Crosby and Kunits combo to run wild. He was the best option because he was there most versatile/reliable player, and he still took an immense amount of draws in all types of situations.

Very similar situation here in Boston, as we can't find a fit to go with our proven duo of Krejci and Looch. Relax, because this is just a thought. People get so defensive around here...

And to follow up on Spooner: Bergeron was a young guy once, So how will we know what we have without throwing him in there?

Remember that this is just a thought, and that is the reason we are here, to share thoughts on the Boston Bruins.

Last edited:

TRask

Dec 8, 2003
Halifax
Would actually be interesting to see Bergeron on the top line like one of the others were saying in here. Id do it a bit differently tho...

Lucic-Krejci-Bergeron
Marchand-Soderberg-Eriksson
Fraser-Spooner-Gagne
Paille-Campbelle-Kelly

**Can switch Gagne and Kelly if need be**

I guess its not possible now with Spooner being sent to prov, but would of loved to of seen how that lineup would of worked.

Minny Shinny

Dec 23, 2011
probably at the airport
I'm trying to understand the thinking behind taking the league's top two-way center and putting him on the wing just to be able to fit a prospect on the team.

After all, we're not talking about Chris Kelly here (and as almost everyone knows around here, I'm a big Kelly fan). This is Bergeron, Selke winner. Faceoffs, ice vision, defense through the neutral zone down the middle of the ice, using all that to create space for his teammates....

People want to take a guy who's greatest strengths (and by strengths, I mean strengths that have been recognized as THE BEST IN THE LEAGUE) are best utilized at center and.....move him to a place where those skills are somewhat negated, while also weakening the overall depth of the forward lines?

Where....does that *come* from?

One of the claims the Bruins can make is being one of the top 2-3 teams down the middle, a strategy that immediately puts them in the Cup contender conversation....

.....and there are Bruin fans who think it would be a good idea to move Patrice Bergeron to the wing?

Know who else thinks that's a good idea? 29 other NHL head coaches.

Man, I need my crazy pills today. :laugh:

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston

There is no way in hell the Bruins move Patrice Bergeron to wing to accommodate Ryan Spooner. :help::amazed:

member 96824

What if we moved Tuukka to right wing, and played Subban in net?

MTaylorJ1

Sep 20, 2006
What if we moved Tuukka to right wing, and played Subban in net?

Championship!

I hate this idea, and of course this will lead to people saying, "You Spooner supporters are out of your mind, you have people wanting to move Patrice Bergeron to accommodate him...a lowly prospect".

The only Top 9 center I'd move to wing for Spooner is Soderberg, and that would be only if the following:

1. Soderberg's production levels off at center from where it was year end last year.
2. No wing solutions step up in the interim.

If BOTH of those things happen and Spooner obviously shows the willingness to give board work a shot that Stone Clode demands, would I move an existing center, and that's a very narrow use case.

I'd still much rather tweak the make up of the 4th line and flank him with Paille and Kelly.

VanIsle

Jun 5, 2007
Comox Valley, B.C.
Lucic-Krejci-Gagne
Marchand-Bergeron-Smith
Fraser-Soderberg-Eriksson
Paille-Kelly-Campbell
Caron

Flip Gagne with Eriksson if it doesn't work.
I can't see it really much different than this.

member 96824

Championship!

I hate this idea, and of course this will lead to people saying, "You Spooner supporters are out of your mind, you have people wanting to move Patrice Bergeron to accommodate him...a lowly prospect".

The only Top 9 center I'd move to wing for Spooner is Soderberg, and that would be only if the following:

1. Soderberg's production levels off at center from where it was year end last year.
2. No wing solutions step up in the interim.

If BOTH of those things happen and Spooner obviously shows the willingness to give board work a shot that Stone Clode demands, would I move an existing center, and that's a very narrow use case.

I'd still much rather tweak the make up of the 4th line and flank him with Paille and Kelly.

I think if you had Spooner centering with Soderberg on the wing we wouldn't see as big of a drop. Soderberg definitely performed better playing center than wing, but I think with the way Kelly struggled at the beginning of the season that also had something to do with it.

That being said, it's hard to justify just because of the leap Soderberg took playing center and that he's everything you'd want from a center. Size, skill, smart.

pkunit

Jun 18, 2010
Calgary
I suggested moving one of the best players in the league to our vacant 1st line RW. It's actually a promotion:laugh: You guys are the experts though.

I don't mind the idea, so shoot me!

Looch Krejc Berby
Marchand Soderburg Smith
Gagne Kelly Eriksson
Paille Campbell Robins/Spooner

Point is: our 1st line sucks so deal with people thinking outside the box to try and fix it...

member 96824

If we had to, I think it would be Krejci going to the wing before Bergeron.

But we don't have to.

Minny Shinny

Dec 23, 2011
probably at the airport
I suggested moving one of the best players in the league to our vacant 1st line RW. It's actually a promotion:laugh: You guys are the experts though.

I don't mind the idea, so shoot me!

Looch Krejc Berby
Marchand Soderburg Smith
Gagne Kelly Eriksson
Paille Campbell Robins/Spooner

Point is: our 1st line sucks so deal with people thinking outside the box to try and fix it...

A promotion?

Are you familiar with this here Boston Bruins hockey team?

Virtually everyone who follows or covers this team views these lines as a 1a and 1b, not a "first and second" line, so no, it's not a promotion and you've also now weakened every line that follows.

There's "outside the box" ideas and there's "terrible, horrible, no-good, very bad" ideas. Bergeron on the wing is an example of the latter.

Two questions;

Do you honestly believe that this Bruins team with Krejci/Söderberg/Kelly is better than a team with Krejci/Bergeron/Söderberg? Really?

Why would you take a Selke-winning center and put him on the wing to think it makes the team stronger?

(By the way, the "Canada did it in the Olympics" example is terribad. If you don't know the difference in talent depth between Team Canada and the Bruins then I'm thinking this isn't a good discussion for you).

Ten Thousand Hours

Aug 17, 2010
Boston
If we had to, I think it would be Krejci going to the wing before Bergeron.

But we don't have to.

I agree with the 2nd sentence. Not the first. Bergeron's played wing before. For team Canada and for the Bruins. Krejci's always been a center. I can't imagine him on the wing.

member 96824

I agree with the 2nd sentence. Not the first. Bergeron's played wing before. For team Canada and for the Bruins. Krejci's always been a center. I can't imagine him on the wing.

Krejci played wing for a stretch in 2012 with Kelly and Lucic when he was playing bad.

Stone Clode used it to try and get him out of a funk he was in IIRC

Ten Thousand Hours

Aug 17, 2010
Boston
http://nesn.com/2012/02/david-krejc...es-shawn-thornton-to-be-a-game-time-decision/

Add another one to "Brad, why the **** do you remember this ****?" :laugh:

http://video.bruins.nhl.com/videocenter/console?id=2011020897-70-a

Look at that. Laid down a nice hit to set up a Lucic goal. I'm wondering why I can't remember that game at all. It was a Wednesday. I went through old emails and tried to figure out what I was up to that day. I don't know if I just can't remember it or didn't watch. I didn't post in the GDT. I'm annoyed.

rcduthie77

Mar 31, 2007
Hamilton, Ontario
Fixed it.

Flip Smith and Gagne, deal Campbell.

I'm on board with this the new "French Connection" (yes I'm starting a thing now before someone else does :laugh:) seems to have some real chemistry.

Smith I think could bring that boost of speed to Krejci and Lucic and we know he can shoot, maybe he'll also help to get Krejci shooting a little more as well.

Eriksson and Soderberg have really wicked chemistry and keeping Fraser with them will be a solid line in possession and cycle with Fraser able to rocket pucks on net.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad