GDT: 9/27/13 Toronto Maple Leafs @ Detroit Red Wings 7:30EST

HTT3*

Heres the thing, one good preseason game does not prove this was a good signing. I dont even think he played well compared to others on the team. And i definately think that nyquist or tatar should play over him on the third line.

You only watched one pre-season game? That's part of your problem. Let me tell you Cleary has been really good this pre-season and looks to be getting better each game. He's a lock to start if he's healthy... as he should be.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
Franzen was excellent tonight, I guess having Alfie with him makes a HUGE difference... Thought Kindl was really good as well. PP1 looks like it could be the best unit in the league. Gonna be some real tough decisions for the front office. I really have no clue what they are gonna do outside of Helm going on LTIR. If it was up to me I'm waiving Eaves and Miller. Solid 4th line players but they are a dime a dozen. Sammy, Bert and Tootoo all bring more to the table.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
You only watched one pre-season game? That's part of your problem. Let me tell you Cleary has been really good this pre-season and looks to be getting better each game. He's a lock to start if he's healthy... as he should be.

I agree. Move over Malkin, there's a new #71 in this league. Malkin may be one of the best talents in the league. But have you seen how Cleary just turns the puck over so easily? That's strategy. Malkin dominates in the corners. Cleary just falls down and loses the puck. Saving energy! Savvy! Malkin dangles, Cleary dives. Cleary speaks good English. Malkin? Not so much.

RayMoonDoh

Outta Waiver Stuff
Nov 12, 2011
Shore Shack

No, Ive watched every preseason game except the first hawks game and second bruins game(cleary only played in the latter). I have no agenda here, if i thought cleary played well, i would express that.

In my opinion:
Cleary has been slow, not physical, poor with the puck, turnover prone, and hasnt shown much of the on ice leadership expected.

I think his offensive contributions can at least be matched by nyquist/tatar if not exceeded. I think his defense has been about as bad as i have seen from him in his career.

The thing about nyquist/tatar is that they are actually a big part of this teams future going forward while contributing in the present.

You may think cleary is (marginally) better now, but the fact remains that he's probably only going to get worse, while our younger guys (should) improve.

Gyldenlove

Jun 10, 2013
I agree. Move over Malkin, there's a new #71 in this league. Malkin may be one of the best talents in the league. But have you seen how Cleary just turns the puck over so easily? That's strategy. Malkin dominates in the corners. Cleary just falls down and loses the puck. Saving energy! Savvy! Malkin dangles, Cleary dives. Cleary speaks good English. Malkin? Not so much.

If falling down and waving your stick in the general direction of the puck without every touching it were important skills in hockey, Cleary would be a superstar.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
Mastermind I have to say your in a whole nother universe I like to call earth.

Love your comments but cleary looked very good indeed I mean I kept seeing him fall down over and over for no apparent reason?

I was calling for a mash medical unit not sure if was watching hockey myself:)

The statement of if abby goes cold?

I mean when the hell on gods green earth has abby not been cold?

I guess you missed my abby and cleary rants where I actually went out and supplied the last three year stats on these two super studs which showed them to be 118th and 127th overall out of 137 players who played 1500 5-5 minutes in that time in the category for production of points per time on ice?

Or the even better stat that stated abby shooting percentage in that situations was 132nd in nhl and clearys was 137th this is 137 players mind you meaning they are the most useless two top line guys in all of hockey?

Stats dont lie lmao. That is just god awful brutal. You could go stick pileons up in front of net and datsyuk and zetterberg bank shots off them and get about the same production.

So I get you bought the babcock cool aid and these boys are real gud uns.

Yep they got a use but is on bottom pairings or to help maintain leads late if youngsters are not up to par in regards to holding leads which I would say cleary aint that good for that either. So yep bottom line sign em up I think personally they belong and ahl but I am a brutal guy.

Great signing ken. WTG another year of this nonsense so I got a reason to yell at my tv as cleary falls down on imaginary crack in the ice and misses a puck by that much and we give up another odd man rush caused by that imaginary crack in the ice.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
He farts in every direction. It's great. I may die from liver failure or a heart attack this year. But it's worth it. Price of admission. Daniel Cleary, Son of Canada.

Sad part had the liver surgery 5 years ago and now have a very serious messed up heart for real.

But I WANT TO BOW DOWN and THANK everyone on this board cause I lived through this and laughed so hard had to go walk away from the computer for a bit for fear of heart bursting as the tears rolled from my eyes.

THANK YOU ALL:handclap::yo:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Other people on the team fall too. But Cleary literally falls 10x more often.

Every year he gets slower. Every year he gets weaker on the puck. Everybody that watches this team will tell you that.

It's to the point where he is so far past being useful, that it's not even funny.

I don't even know why I'm arguing this point, its painfully obvious to 99% of this board.

HTT3*

Look, we're all red wings fans, and thats great. It means i dig all y'all cuz of your great taste in hockey teams.

But you're in the minority here, so it might be beneficial to take everything with a grain of salt. Passion and debate are important.
Maybe show us some video to back up your claims? Avoid antagonizing. Lets just have fun.

But remember, we're all good people....because we hate the blackhawks.

Guess I watch the game with a different POV. I keep an open mind and don't think of him as taking a spot from a youngster, but rather a player that can help the team, as a whole, win and [hopefully] go deep in the playoffs. Some people take this personal, and it's not, its a business and Mike Illitch might have given KH instructions to win now, so maybe that's why hes signing proven talent and stocking up for a deep playoff run. Who knows...

But DC is a good player and brings an element to the team that helps them win.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
Guess I watch the game with a different POV. I keep an open mind and don't think of him as taking a spot from a youngster, but rather a player that can help the team, as a whole, win and [hopefully] go deep in the playoffs. Some people take this personal, and it's not, its a business and Mike Illitch might have given KH instructions to win now, so maybe that's why hes signing proven talent and stocking up for a deep playoff run. Who knows...

But DC is a good player and brings an element to the team that helps them win.

I want you to understand this. You do have a unique POV which is cool.

Him helping this team? Not if he gets top line minutes.

Last year stats out of top line players 5-5 hockey cleary is 207th out of a possible 208 guys in points per time on ice.

same thing shooting percentage he is 205th out of 208 guys.

So as long as he is getting bottom line minutes I am ok with him.

Brandel*

I thought the Franzen - Weiss - Alfie line was the best even strength line out there tonight. Generated a bunch of good chances and offensive zone possession. Also, Weiss has been absolutely killing it in the FO circle; he's been going 60%+ every night. I was slightly concerned about his play after the first few preseason games but he looked MUCH better for the two periods he played tonight.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Looked pretty good tonight, third line was dead slow, but nice to see the PP score like that. After playing three of the four hardest teams in the league nice to see what the middle is going to have to live with playing this team. Still think they will need something at the trade deadline for true contender, but this is a dangerous playoff team when they are playing well. Alfie brought that second line together, he and Franzen look very good together.

ShanahanMan

Jan 31, 2009
Tokyo, Japan
One thing I noticed from this game is that Hank and Alfie have a tremendous amount of chemistry together.

Would it be unreasonable to shift Alfie to the first line (Hank-Dats-Alfie) and perhaps have Abs be the righty on a second line of Franzen-Weiss-Abs?

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
Looked pretty good tonight, third line was dead slow, but nice to see the PP score like that. After playing three of the four hardest teams in the league nice to see what the middle is going to have to live with playing this team. Still think they will need something at the trade deadline for true contender, but this is a dangerous playoff team when they are playing well. Alfie brought that second line together, he and Franzen look very good together.

Yeah toronto looked like had astro burners on during those times I saw that I was like how fast is toronto than realized the line match up and was like thank god.

DRWCountryClub

Jun 28, 2010
One thing I noticed from this game is that Hank and Alfie have a tremendous amount of chemistry together.

Would it be unreasonable to shift Alfie to the first line (Hank-Dats-Alfie) and perhaps have Abs be the righty on a second line of Franzen-Weiss-Abs?

I was just going to say, it looks like they play well together.

The only thing is, if Abdelkader isn't on Datsyuk's line, he can't be in the top six.

I don't know what combination would work, I'd like to see a Franzen - Zetterberg - Alfredsson line, tbh.

But then who does Datsyuk carry around? Weiss on the wing? One of the kids? Bertuzzi and Abby?

bta1976

Aug 20, 2012
I was just going to say, it looks like they play well together.

The only thing is, if Abdelkader isn't on Datsyuk's line, he can't be in the top six.

I don't know what combination would work, I'd like to see a Franzen - Zetterberg - Alfredsson line, tbh.

But then who does Datsyuk carry around? Weiss on the wing? One of the kids? Bertuzzi and Abby?

Alfie looked pretty good last night and your pp1 looks like it could be one the best in the league. Sad he left Ott! I think you will see him get moved to the top line, late in gms when they are trailing. That is how he has been used in Ott for the past few yrs, works pretty well too. Enjoy

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Franzen was excellent tonight, I guess having Alfie with him makes a HUGE difference... Thought Kindl was really good as well. PP1 looks like it could be the best unit in the league. Gonna be some real tough decisions for the front office. I really have no clue what they are gonna do outside of Helm going on LTIR. If it was up to me I'm waiving Eaves and Miller. Solid 4th line players but they are a dime a dozen. Sammy, Bert and Tootoo all bring more to the table.

Why would the Wings waive Miller when they just resigned him to a 3 year contract, That would be stupidity right there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad