Post-Game Talk: 9/26 PS 7 - Red Wings 3 BRUINS 2 F/OT

00BW

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 14, 2012
Framingham, MA
I thought all of the D except Krug were solid. Krug had some good PP passes but otherwise showed the rust of first game action. He gets a pass tonight for that and coming off a major injury.
Moore looked like the fastest Bruin player on the ice and was a big, solid LD. He looked good playing the top D pair with McAvoy.
McAvoy made some mistakes, mostly not getting the puck out on PK, but man, he makes so many great little moves deking opposing forwards to move the puck out of the D zone.
Vaakanainen had his best preseason game to date. He does not look as big as his stats because he skates a little hunched over (kinda like Heinen) and I'm not sure his skating style stands out like the Bruins brass claims. However, he almost never got touched by opposing players (O or D) so it might be the complete 4 way skating and not speed they were raving about. He also showed great puck moving skills similar to McAvoy. When he gets called up this year due to injury, it will be similar to Gryzelcyk as he won't let you take him out of the lineup.

Stempniak looked a lot like Drew Stafford. On offense from the circles in, he looks better than most of the Bruins young players. The main problem is the other 75% of the ice and him being behind on the plays. I would pass on him and Winnick since the Bruins already have Wagner, Nordstrom, and Acciari who can be the 13th forward.

I'm pretty sure Backes playing top C is a clear indication the Bruins are worried that both Kuraly and Bergy will not be ready for opening night and both JFK and Frederic will be starting the year in the NHL and they need a 4th C after Krejci. Backes actually looked good, kept up with most of the action, and had all the best chances but couldn't capitalize.

The only real concern I have with this team is how soon will Bergeron return.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
I only got to see the third period (gonna be a common theme for me I think), but one thing I noticed was that Steve Kampfer actually looked like a serviceable defenseman. Not gonna say he was "impressive", but he was solid enough for me to take notice.
He was, you're right: Now, trade him Donnie!;)

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Man, I’m not seeing the same stuff you are with Stempniak.. Maybe tonight wasn’t his game but he’s looked solid the last few.

I agree with Frederic/JFK. Although I’d still like to see them look elsewhere for a third/fourth line guy.

Cehlarik and urho were my favs tonight

I can't comment on his previous games.

Outside of one shot on the PP, he was lousy tonight. I wouldn't want to see him playing at the speed of a regular season game vs. a full squad of NHLers.

There's a reason why this guy is on his one hundredth team.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
I can't comment on his previous games.

Outside of one shot on the PP, he was lousy tonight. I wouldn't want to see him playing at the speed of a regular season game vs. a full squad of NHLers.

There's a reason why this guy is on his one hundredth team.
You exaggerate: He's only on his 98th team.:laugh::rolleyes:

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Well I enjoyed watching the UV guy

Also, I think Backes has dropped around 20 pounds in the last 2 years.
He looked really thin.

I will be happy when Bergy is back.

I would think by Sat the B's team will be almost picked. Usually by the last preseason game there are only a couple of decisions to make.

OK I was missing Quaider...I will admit it.

GO B's

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Urho is making me a believer, he's so smooth in everything.

I thought that on a few plays McAvoy looked like a superstar.

I think Celharik has to make this team. He's so strong on the puck.

Thought Kampfer looked good. I'd be happy to have him as a call up.

Debrusk is a beauty.

Marchand sucked bad all night.

Heinen isn't loved enough. Guy is money.

I'm a bit worried about Backes. He was just ok.

I like Winnick a lot. Gotta give him a contract.

Stempniak scored a nice one. Maybe they can sign him and assign him to Providence because he's great depth.

Bruinator

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Toronto
Finally got to see a preseason game!

Was impressed with Urho. He won't make the team, but he isn't going to need 2-3 AHL seasons either. Pretty safe bet to play in the NHL at same capacity, probably sooner than later.

Krug looked rusty.

Between JFK and Frederic, Frederic was much more noticeable. JFK is Providence bound, he got little accomplished tonight.

A Moore-McAvoy pairing to start off might not be a bad idea. Thought both looked good, McAvoy was excellent.

Don't let the Stempniak goal fool you. Outside of that he was a step behind the play and made many mistakes with the puck on his stick. This place was livid when they signed Gionta last year. Signing Stempniak now is just repeating that mistake.

Winnik was decent again. Depending on how many D they carry, if it's 7 then signing Winnik to a 1-year deal at small money I can see happening now with Nordstrom injured.

I thought Backes looked a step quicker. Was 70% in the dot at one point Jack said. I don't see any reason he can't play center on the 3rd line.
Wow, Couldn't disagree more on a few points. McAVoy was horrible. Not excellent, Horrible! Gave the puck away almost at will. Probably the worst game I have ever seen him play. Stempniak was proabably the best Bruin on the ice. Engaged on every shift. Scored a nice goal, should have set up a couple of others if the youngsters could have finished. Just couldn't disagree more with your assessment of these two players.

Reactions: Strafer

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Wow, Couldn't disagree more on a few points. McAVoy was horrible. Not excellent, Horrible! Gave the puck away almost at will. Probably the worst game I have ever seen him play. Stempniak was proabably the best Bruin on the ice. Engaged on every shift. Scored a nice goal, should have set up a couple of others if the youngsters could have finished. Just couldn't disagree more with your assessment of these two players.

Stempniak scored, that’s all.

He had Frederic on the two on one and he (incorrectly) held the puck instead of passing. Near the end of the game, I believe it was Cehlarik who gave him a sweet pass and it was Stempniak (not the youngsters) who didn’t finish. In fact, he never even got a shot off. He got outmuscled several times in the O zone behind the net, turning it over to DET.

McAvoy made some mistakes, but he also made a lot of dynamic plays. You greatly exaggerate how bad he was and how good Stempniak was imo.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Stempniak scored, that’s all.

He had Frederic on the two on one and he (incorrectly) held the puck instead of passing. Near the end of the game, I believe it was Cehlarik who gave him a sweet pass and it was Stempniak (not the youngsters) who didn’t finish. In fact, he never even got a shot off. He got outmuscled several times in the O zone behind the net, turning it over to DET.

McAvoy made some mistakes, but he also made a lot of dynamic plays. You greatly exaggerate how bad he was and how good Stempniak was imo.

Exactly. Every D-man makes mistakes.

But McAvoy made several high-end plays tonight that only elite players make.

Reactions: Blowfish

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I went to Dev Camp and UV was one of the guys I specifically watched, particularly after Haggs was bagging on him. I watched him in the Friday scrimmage and the best way I can describe him was “out of sync”.

I could see why Haggs was being critical, but I said to Dan, this kid has all the tools, he can skate, he reads the play well, he steps up at the right times. He was just having one of those days. You could tell he wasn’t familiar with his D partner and tried some stuff that didn’t end well. He also didn’t finish. For me though, the key was that he was putting himself in position to make plays.

Watching him last night, you can see why the B’s liked him more than some. The things that didn’t look good at Dev Camp because he didn’t know his teammates (outlet passes, little drop passes to his D partner, etc), now look good as his familiarity and confidence increase. He needs to work on his shot for sure, but I think he’s going to be a solid NHL D at the minimum.

That said, I don’t understand these posts about Moore blocking him or needing to trade guys to get him in the NHL. He’s 19, waiver exempt and in his first year of North American hockey. I don’t think we are at the point where he’s so good the B’s need to trade someone just to make room. Let him get his feet wet in PRO and during the course of the year, get him up for a few games if there are injuries. I’m pretty sure that if he plays less than 10 NHL games, they can slide his contract this year and get three NHL seasons on his ELC if/when he makes the team next year (which is huge).

Last edited:

whitetape

Jun 3, 2006
In the competition between Frederic and JFK, IMO Frederic has clearly won and has a good shot at sticking. Last night made me think they won't ship him down to AHL, or if they do he won't be down long. JFK looks kind of lost, in contrast.
UV definitely impressed but there's no room and no need to rush him.
Halak looks real strong.

Reactions: veganbruin

TP

Global Moderator
Dec 2, 2008
Missed it. Based on the highlights..

That three line pass by Krug was a beauty.

That first PK goal was awful. All 4 in the crease and nobody could get it out?

JP Nolan

Sep 28, 2017
What happens when Chara retires and Krug leaves because the B’s aren’t going to pay him? Will Moore still be blocking guys then?

You appear to be taking a very short-sighted view of the situation.
I always thought Zboril and Louzan would spell for Chara and whoever else left......I mean with all the accolades given the guy for his picks.....Yet he has to sign stop gap guys to cover his tracks for when Chara and Krug leave.....???...............Who is talking UV......I thought we had D prospects from the 2015 draft that could step in by now.....Guess not....

Son of Donegal

Stay-at-home defenseman with zero upside.
Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com
I always thought Zboril and Louzan would spell for Chara and whoever else left......I mean with all the accolades given the guy for his picks.....Yet he has to sign stop gap guys to cover his tracks for when Chara and Krug leave.....???...............Who is talking UV......I thought we had D prospects from the 2015 draft that could step in by now.....Guess not....

Perhaps you have forgotten that Brandon Carlo has 158 NHL games under his belt as a top 4 D and was drafted in 2015.

Even in a perfect world, LHD Lauzon and Zboril are not going to push Chara and Krug.

Be realistic.

JP Nolan

Sep 28, 2017
Perhaps you have forgotten that Brandon Carlo has 158 NHL games under his belt as a top 4 D and was drafted in 2015.

Even in a perfect world, LHD Lauzon and Zboril are not going to push Chara and Krug.

Be realistic.
I think after 3-4 years....it is very realsitic to think that a first round pick would make the team......Not to mention that GD said Moore will be that stop gap...I think thats bad management to have to sign a journeyman to a five year deal when having some high picks....Ya think...

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
He looked really thin.

I will be happy when Bergy is back.

I would think by Sat the B's team will be almost picked. Usually by the last preseason game there are only a couple of decisions to make.

OK I was missing Quaider...I will admit it.

GO B's
I missed most of the game but did see him tickling the chin of a player who made a big hit. I don't want to see him fight anymore sadly but being a presence like that is what we need.

Tampbear

Apr 10, 2015
Tampa
I think after 3-4 years....it is very realsitic to think that a first round pick would make the team......Not to mention that GD said Moore will be that stop gap...I think thats bad management to have to sign a journeyman to a five year deal when having some high picks....Ya think...
Geez man your a real ray of sunshine. Zboril and Lauzon (who has had injury issues) are capable of playing in the NHL, but we are looking for playoff success and not on developing more kids in the NHL right this minute. Like I responded to you in another thread, a balance of reliable veterans and energetic, skilled youth needs to be found. We have Carlo who is entering his third year, Macavoy entering his second, and Grizz about to enter his first full year in the NHL, Krug is young and a top guy, Chara is our captain and one of the greatest D of all time, finally Miller is a steady rock for the D and Moore just gives us the depth needed to carry a quality D as the 7th guy. It wouldn't benefit Zboril or Lauzon to play in that top 6 right now nor would it benefit the team when they can get stronger playing in the AHL and when they do arrive will be ready to step in and be solid contributor without having to worry about a lot of growing pains. The goal is to put out the best roster possible, if you can do that while allowing the kids to further develop I don't see what the issue is. Do you want us to look like Ottawa, where Chabot is getting his time in the NHL but I don't know it is doing him or Ottawa any good.

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016

I would advise you to look at other teams prospects. Players like McAvoy and Donato are super rare cases of a player stepping in out of the minors/college. Normally it takes to near the end of a prospects ELC before they even get a sniff of the big club. I think this is a case of expectations being way far out of the norm because of the amazing good fortune we have had in the past 15 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad