Post-Game Talk: 9/26 PS 7 - Red Wings 3 BRUINS 2 F/OT

JP Nolan

Sep 28, 2017
I would advise you to look at other teams prospects. Players like McAvoy and Donato are super rare cases of a player stepping in out of the minors/college. Normally it takes to near the end of a prospects ELC before they even get a sniff of the big club. I think this is a case of expectations being way far out of the norm because of the amazing good fortune we have had in the past 15 years.
I suggest you take a look at 1st round defensmen who play for their teams 3 years after drafted......Unless they are busts, they all are in the NHL.....

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
I suggest you take a look at 1st round defensmen who play for their teams 3 years after drafted......Unless they are busts, they all are in the NHL.....

So unless they are "busts", they make the NHL? What's your definition of a "bust"? Surely it must include some concept of failing to make the NHL?

Here's your JP Logic (patent pending) applied to other things:

Look at all the albums produced last year. Unless they are busts, they sold a lot of copies.

Look at the new TV shows. Unless they are busts, they get good ratings.

Yes, you too can never be wrong again using JP Logic!

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
In the competition between Frederic and JFK, IMO Frederic has clearly won and has a good shot at sticking. Last night made me think they won't ship him down to AHL, or if they do he won't be down long. JFK looks kind of lost, in contrast.
UV definitely impressed but there's no room and no need to rush him.
Halak looks real strong.

I like the way both kids have played.

The difference for me is that it appears (after a small sample size) that JFK is more or a Krejci “type”, and that Frederic is better suited to play the 3rd line C role. He’s bigger and more rugged and still moves very well for his size.

The funny part about that 3rd line is that if Cehlarik has played his way onto the NHL roster and ends up on that line along with Frederic and Backes...after all the gnashing off teeth about how small the B’s are, that line has some real size :laugh:

Backes is 215-220
Frederic is 210
Cehlarik is 205

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I like the way both kids have played.

The difference for me is that it appears (after a small sample size) that JFK is more or a Krejci “type”, and that Frederic is better suited to play the 3rd line C role. He’s bigger and more rugged and still moves very well for his size.

The funny part about that 3rd line is that if Cehlarik has played his way onto the NHL roster and ends up on that line along with Frederic and Backes...after all the gnashing off teeth about how small the B’s are, that line has some real size :laugh:

Backes is 215-220
Frederic is 210
Cehlarik is 205
It’s a line nobody had a month ago

GloveSave1

*** 15 ***
Jun 11, 2003
N.Windham, CT
Depends on the kid.

Some of the younger guys could probably use more AHL experience, but there are guys (Cehlarik?) that might benefit more from being the 13th F. I think back to when both Boychuk and McQuaid had enough AHL experience and it got to the point where being the 7th D, practicing with NHL players and working with the NHL coaches was more of a benefit than minutes in the AHL.

Cehlarik, I could see. True.

I’ve also liked the idea of just rotating kids up from Providence so everyone gets a taste. A real Providence shuttle.

Bruinator

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Toronto
Stempniak scored, that’s all.

He had Frederic on the two on one and he (incorrectly) held the puck instead of passing. Near the end of the game, I believe it was Cehlarik who gave him a sweet pass and it was Stempniak (not the youngsters) who didn’t finish. In fact, he never even got a shot off. He got outmuscled several times in the O zone behind the net, turning it over to DET.

McAvoy made some mistakes, but he also made a lot of dynamic plays. You greatly exaggerate how bad he was and how good Stempniak was imo.
I disagree on the past for Frederick. He held on to it through the goalie over and by the time he did move the puck into the middle Frederick had an empty net. How did not been for the defender blocking it it was an easy goal. Regardless on a night when very few Bruins were doing anything stempniak seem to be the only one involved when they were getting offencive chances. As far as McAvoy goes although he had a couple of nice rushes I have never seen him give the puck away as many times as he did in this game. I think even he would tell you it was a terrible game for him by his standards. Anyway just a preseason game and it certainly appeared as though very few Bruins were interested in in it.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I disagree on the past for Frederick. He held on to it through the goalie over and by the time he did move the puck into the middle Frederick had an empty net. How did not been for the defender blocking it it was an easy goal. Regardless on a night when very few Bruins were doing anything stempniak seem to be the only one involved when they were getting offencive chances. As far as McAvoy goes although he had a couple of nice rushes I have never seen him give the puck away as many times as he did in this game. I think even he would tell you it was a terrible game for him by his standards. Anyway just a preseason game and it certainly appeared as though very few Bruins were interested in in it.

I didn’t think it was a great effort by most of the B’s, but I try not to read too much into preseason games.

We will have to disagree on the pass. Imo he should have moved the puck much sooner, when Frederic was still driving the net. Stempniak held onto the puck to the point where the player covering Frederic got back into position. Yeah, Frederic would have had an “open net” if Stempniak could have gotten his pass through the goalie AND the guy on Frederic. Wasn’t going to happen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad