GDT: 9/26: Preseason Game 6 - Up, Up and Away!: Bruins @ Jets: 7:30pm ET: TSN, NHLN

Status
Not open for further replies.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
I wonder if Svedberg gets the "Tuukka" treatment: toiling away in Providence getting practically all the games while someone like Chad Johnson will be playing behind Rask with the Boston Bruins.

The reason will be to keep Svedberg sharp and not rust up while Rask's backup will see very little game time. Eventually Svedberg will move up but I'm thinking it could be a while. If Rask goes down due to an injury he'll get the call; otherwise he'll continue to work in Providence.

I agree that this is what will probably happen but I shudder at the thought of Chad Johnson as the backup- he has played badly so far IMO. Are there no UFA back up goaltenders out there better than Johnson???

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Looked good ? Try he was the best player on the ice, period. Bruins played like garbage, Spooner was the best Bruin but we dont need players like that :sarcasm:

:laugh:

I don't follow the Jets every day, but I know they were without Bryan Little, Andrew Ladd, Blake Wheeler, Zach Bogosian and Toby Enstrom.

Bruins were missing Zdeno Chara, Jarome Iginla, Milan Lucic, David Krejci, Boychuk, Campbell, Kelly, Soderberg from their likely NHL roster...and still won, so I'm not sure how bad they were?

Trouba had a good preseason game against half the B's regular roster, period.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I agree that this is what will probably happen but I shudder at the thought of Chad Johnson as the backup- he has played badly so far IMO. Are there no UFA back up goaltenders out there better than Johnson???

Johnson was actually very good in his last game.

Whichever one of Johnson or Svedberg that gets sent down I expect will likely split games with Subban 50-50 or 60-40.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Johnson was actually very good in his last game.

Whichever one of Johnson or Svedberg that gets sent down I expect will likely split games with Subban 50-50 or 60-40.

Did you actually see the game? All I know is that it was an 18 save shutout because it wasn't televised. Not trying to be down on Johnson here as he might have been fantastic for all I know, but we don't really know how good he was in that game.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Did you actually see the game? All I know is that it was an 18 save shutout because it wasn't televised. Not trying to be down on Johnson here as he might have been fantastic for all I know, but we don't really know how good he was in that game.

Basing it on accounts that I read saying he was good.

http://thespokedblog.com/soderberg-johnson-lead-bruins-past-red-wings/

I assumed they were watching somehow because of the details, but I should not assume I guess? Maybe someone who was at/saw the game can chime in?

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Was just skimming through earlier pages of this GDT. Holy **** you guys :amazed::shakehead

This is why I don't post much in GDTs. :(

BergyMeister

Overpaid 4th liner
Mar 5, 2010
Tampa Via Vermont.
You guys should throw donuts at him next time he come to Boston. Krispy Kremes. Don't ain for him...just around him. His gravitational pull will do the rest!
Yay! Fat jokes!
Sorry.
I really dislike him. A lot.

We should all take a road trip to a Jets-Leafs game and do that. Dustin and Phil fightin over donut holes. That would be a sight to see. :laugh:

ReggieMoto

Nov 24, 2003
Manchester, NH
Was just skimming through earlier pages of this GDT. Holy **** you guys :amazed::shakehead

This is why I don't post much in GDTs. :(

Yep! :thumbu:

This is why I stay away until the next day, and while skimming I resist the urge to respond to the insanity until I reach the very end. By then (since it is the next day) the more rational posts appear and I can take a breath and relax. Otherwise I would just be contributing to the madness myself.

ReggieMoto

Nov 24, 2003
Manchester, NH

Here's what we know:

1) "Chad Johnson allowed three goals on eight shots."
Bruins win preseason opener, 6-3

2) "Goaltender Chad Johnson rebounded nicely from a subpar first showing as the Bruins shut out the Detroit Red Wings tonight at Joe Louis Arena, 2-0, ... turning aside 18 Detroit shots to earn the shutout, including big saves on Red Wing forward Gustav Nyquist who had two of the home team’s best chances."
Soderberg and Johnson Lead Bruins Past Red Wings

Unlikely anyone here actually saw the game. But these appear to be the facts and by all accounts Chad Johnson had a terrible first outing but didn't dwell on it. Seems he shook it off as a pro goalie should.

I realize you are saying you're not trying to be down on Johnson; however, it just doesn't come across that way. I think he will be a suitable backup, perhaps not outstanding but probably adequate, for the occasional outings required to give Rask a rest, if that's how it all works out.

Flannelman

Quiet, Gnashgab.
Dec 3, 2006
er backup goalie

Is the difference between Svedberg and Johnson so great, in a cap-strapped year, enough to warrant a 400K additional cap hit (Svedberg) over Johnson? Reminder, this is for a back-up position. Someone who will likely play less than 20 games this year... let me rephrase this... if Svedberg sitting on the bench for 60 games worth 400K more than Johnson?

I'd argue that no, he is not and he'll do better in the AHL.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Here's what we know:

1) "Chad Johnson allowed three goals on eight shots."
Bruins win preseason opener, 6-3

2) "Goaltender Chad Johnson rebounded nicely from a subpar first showing as the Bruins shut out the Detroit Red Wings tonight at Joe Louis Arena, 2-0, ... turning aside 18 Detroit shots to earn the shutout, including big saves on Red Wing forward Gustav Nyquist who had two of the home team’s best chances."
Soderberg and Johnson Lead Bruins Past Red Wings

Unlikely anyone here actually saw the game. But these appear to be the facts and by all accounts Chad Johnson had a terrible first outing but didn't dwell on it. Seems he shook it off as a pro goalie should.

I realize you are saying you're not trying to be down on Johnson; however, it just doesn't come across that way. I think he will be a suitable backup, perhaps not outstanding but probably adequate, for the occasional outings required to give Rask a rest, if that's how it all works out.

I want one of the two to be a good back-up, I've just been way more impressed with Svedberg thus far. He's stood on his head in two straight games against some pretty solid offensive threats, and he has looked lights out in a lot of shorthanded situations, along with a very lengthy shootout. While it isn't fair to judge Johnson on half a game we saw of him, I'm putting more stock into 60+ very strong minutes by Svedberg last night than I am with 18 saves I didn't see against a very depleted Wings roster. It's not fair, but from a fan's perspective that's all I have to go on right now.

BergyMeister

Overpaid 4th liner
Mar 5, 2010
Tampa Via Vermont.
Is the difference between Svedberg and Johnson so great, in a cap-strapped year, enough to warrant a 400K additional cap hit (Svedberg) over Johnson? Reminder, this is for a back-up position. Someone who will likely play less than 20 games this year... let me rephrase this... if Svedberg sitting on the bench for 60 games worth 400K more than Johnson?

I'd argue that no, he is not and he'll do better in the AHL.

I agree, I'm guessing Johnson gets @ least half the game tonight if not all of it. Unless he gets blasted he will be the backup. 400k is quite a chunk of money when up against the cap.

Saltieri16

thespokedblog*****
Nov 5, 2006
MA
thespokedblog.com
I'll clarify the Spoked 'B'log recaps, I wrote them. The game wasn't televised as far as I know, even the Red Wings site said it was only available on the radio the morning of the game. I listened to the whole game on the station they suggested, and it really did sound like Johnson played well. The Nyquist chances basically sounded like one-on-ones with Johnson in tight, and if I recall correctly he made some good stops while the B's were on the PK as well. Take it for what it's worth, but that's the sense I got from what I heard (from Detroit announcers).

Personally I think it's a tough call. If the B's see Svedberg as a long term piece, he may actually be better off for another year in the AHL so gets the majority of starts. There's the extra $400k hit too which doesn't help as someone pointed out. On the other hand I don't think anyone cares if Chad Johnson sits on the bench for most of the season. Plus, Svedberg showing he has the skill to compete at this level also gives the B's options if - God forbid - Tuukka gets hurt. Just my two cents.

nycbruins*

Yeah but seeing as the bruins can't bank cap space & pool it for the deadline, the 400 k isn't as big of a deal as people think

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Reverse jinxing . Let them keep complaining . Ignila will score zero goals this offseason. Now that I said that, watch ignila score 40. I have only read about three pages of these thread but the spooner bashing has been crazy too read.

Some have to hate a player in order to enjoy the games.

Oh well...

Lordstanley

MusicMan
Feb 10, 2010
From The Soul
I was busy last night. :sarcasm:

...and no I don't think I'm one of the good posters. Though I am proud of my 6000+ post streak of not really saying anything constructive. :)

No big woof ! Give yourself some credit , its not how posts you have , its the amount of infractions you aquire over a lifetime on this board......cheers ! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad