GDT: 9/25/13 - pre-season - Blues @ Wild - 7:00 PM CT - KFAN

Status
Not open for further replies.

GopherState

Repeat Offender...
Aug 8, 2008
X Marks The Spot
People complaining about stream quality of center ice = completely understandable.
But here we have some people getting really really obsessed with the idea that a company should provide them with as much free stuff as they can consume, and it had better be the best stuff ever. All legal issues aside. It's borderline insane. Start ranting at McDonalds for not giving you free fries whenever you want while you're at it.

Quit following me around rynryn!

OpRedDawn*

People complaining about stream quality of center ice = completely understandable.
But here we have some people getting really really obsessed with the idea that a company should provide them with as much free stuff as they can consume, and it had better be the best stuff ever. All legal issues aside. It's borderline insane. Start ranting at McDonalds for not giving you free fries whenever you want while you're at it.

what a horrible analogy

the fact that it's so bad proves that you're on the wrong side

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
what a horrible analogy

the fact that it's so bad proves that you're on the wrong side

please explain to me exactly what reasonable grounds you as an individual consumer have for demanding free services from a for-profit enterprise.

tomgilbertfan

#WhyBother
Jun 22, 2008
Minnesota
please explain to me exactly what reasonable grounds you as an individual consumer have for demanding free services from a for-profit enterprise.

Because state of hockey, and stuff!

No but seriously no one is in any way entitled to be able to watch preseason games for free.

rynryn

May 29, 2008
Minny
really curious, though. obviously, the team wants people talking about the product, wants exposure, etc but then again so does FSN. It's reasonable for FSN to demand as much control over visual-media exposure of the product they're broadcasting so they don't have to compete for viewrship, and it's perfectly reasonable for the Wild, who want TV exposure to agree to the demands of someone who is giving them that exposure even if it limits them in other ways. If you want to be harsh about it you can say they're willing to piss off a few OpRedDawns to appease everyone else who would be ultrapissed if they had no TV deal.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
The Wild want to actually SELL pre-season tickets. How many people would actually buy them (outside of season ticket holders who get them as part of their package) if they could watch them on tv or via stream?

OpRedDawn*

But I am paying for it. I'm paying for to have access to FSN which has the rights to the games and has a deal with the team. I'm paying for it when I buy Wild merchandise or visit their official website.

If every other MN sport gets televised preseason games, the Wild should too. If not, they should be streamed. Especially when they already have the infrastructure and means in place. It's not like the games are out in the boonies or it's not being recorded. And, they can obviously stream those scrimmages without much fuss.

And, I don't think a silly internet stream would stop someone who has the means / location to easily go to the X.

I guess they should've started blacking out the games when the X wasn't selling out a few years ago.... gotta find a way to sell dem seats! :shakehead

Bottom line. It's professional hockey in Minnesota. Fans should not be ignored simply because we don't live in the cities.

rynryn

May 29, 2008
Minny
But I am paying for it. I'm paying for to have access to FSN which has the rights to the games and has a deal with the team. I'm paying for it when I buy Wild merchandise or visit their official website.

If every other MN sport gets televised preseason games, the Wild should too. If not, they should be streamed. Especially when they already have the infrastructure and means in place. It's not like the games are out in the boonies or it's not being recorded. And, they can obviously stream those scrimmages without much fuss.

And, I don't think a silly internet stream would stop someone who has the means / location to easily go to the X.

I guess they should've started blacking out the games when the X wasn't selling out a few years ago.... gotta find a way to sell dem seats! :shakehead

Bottom line. It's professional hockey in Minnesota. Fans should not be ignored simply because we don't live in the cities.

you are paying for the merchandise when you buy it. they count on exposure to keep people interested in the merch. FSN pays them to be the main source of that exposure. you pay FSN for the exposure. It doesn't matter how easy it is, or if they have the means (they do, as i've pointed out, have an in-house feed) to give you a free stream if they are prohibited from doing so.
I don't know exactly how you're paying for "it" (assuming you mean the right to watch free ****) when you visit the website. I'll take your word on it that you're buying licensed merch. I think only the money from stuff sold at the hockey lodge actually goes to the wild btw.

Last edited:

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
Hey, I bought a hamburger but the should give me fries for free because they can. They have the means to so that makes it my right to get free fries. I bought mustard at the grocery store, which has nothing to do with the burger, but is related. Thus I should get fries for free.

OpRedDawn*

you are paying for the merchandise when you buy it. they count on exposure to keep people interested in the merch. FSN pays them to be the main source of that exposure. you pay FSN for the exposure. It doesn't matter how easy it is, or if they have the means (they do, as i've pointed out, have an in-house feed) to give you a free stream if they are prohibited from doing so.
I don't know exactly how you're paying for "it" (assuming you mean the right to watch free ****) when you visit the website. I'll take your word on it that you're buying licensed merch. I think only the money from stuff sold at the hockey lodge actually goes to the wild btw.
If it's officially licensed, they sure do get a % afaik. And even it's not, it's still marketing their product for them. Regadelss, more people buying things with the Wild name / logo helps them.

I don't think they are prohibited from doing so per se. And, even if they were, it's all the more reason to speak up and let them know that it's not ok. If the Wild feel pressure and hear from people who want the games, then they have more weight when talking to the folks at FSN.

"Hey, I bought a hamburger but the should give me fries for free because they can. They have the means to so that makes it my right to get free fries. I bought mustard at the grocery store, which has nothing to do with the burger, but is related. Thus I should get fries for free."

Not sure how you think a french fry analogy works here. If you wanted to use that, it would be like me paying for a meal plan that includes french fries. And before the meal plan actually begins, they make 6 batches of test fries to perfect the taste. Instead of giving away those already made fries, they throw them in the garbage.

rynryn

May 29, 2008
Minny
there appears to be an assumption that the Wild have a great deal of leverage against FSN, which they probably don't until they get better/bigger.

rynryn

May 29, 2008
Minny
If it's officially licensed, they sure do get a % afaik. And even it's not, it's still marketing their product for them. Regadelss, more people buying things with the Wild name / logo helps them.

I don't think they are prohibited from doing so per se. And, even if they were, it's all the more reason to speak up and let them know that it's not ok. If the Wild feel pressure and hear from people who want the games, then they have more weight when talking to the folks at FSN.

"Hey, I bought a hamburger but the should give me fries for free because they can. They have the means to so that makes it my right to get free fries. I bought mustard at the grocery store, which has nothing to do with the burger, but is related. Thus I should get fries for free."

Not sure how you think a french fry analogy works here. If you wanted to use that, it would be like me paying for a meal plan that includes french fries. And before the meal plan actually begins, they make 6 batches of test fries to perfect the taste. Instead of giving away those already made fries, they throw them in the garbage.

it sounds more like you're pulling up to the window to get a packet of ketchup and just assuming fries come with it because you see some in the frier. hey, you already have them, why not give them to me? People will see me with your french fries on my way to collect my check so you owe me for advertising.

Blizzard6411

#benchstoner
Feb 12, 2013
Seattle
Having had some experience with TV rights the most likely scenario here is that FSN chose not purchase any pre season rights from the Wild and the Wild had no other takers for those rights. Pre season hockey isn't exactly a ratings getter. The Wild likely could not stream any of those games per NHL rules. If you can show me that any other team had live internet streams of pre season games I would be shocked.

If somebody is unhappy that no pre season games were televised then take it out on FSN and get a whole lot of people to join your crusade because that is what it would take to bump even a crappy Twins team off the air for pre season hockey. FSN sells advertising rights to a whole host of corporations who pay for a full season of Twins baseball.

rynryn

May 29, 2008
Minny
its ultimately the wilds fault for not buying their own television station.

and what blizzard said sounds entirely reasonable. there's all sorts of willy nilly rules on what teams can't do. teams don't even own their own websites for godsake.

Last edited:

OpRedDawn*

it sounds more like you're pulling up to the window to get a packet of ketchup and just assuming fries come with it because you see some in the frier. hey, you already have them, why not give them to me? People will see me with your french fries on my way to collect my check so you owe me for advertising.

except not since I'm already paying for the real day (televised games during the season). Either way, it's stupid that they're not streamed or televised. And people should complain until it changes.

rynryn

May 29, 2008
Minny
except not since I'm already paying for the real day (televised games during the season). Either way, it's stupid that they're not streamed or televised. And people should complain until it changes.

you could conceivably start a petition somehow. And you aren't paying the wild for anything, really. okaaaaay.

how about this. you're paying mcdonalds(fsn) for the fries(hockey) but you're expecting their fry-supplier(wild) to throw in whatever you want because without you mcdonalds might decide not to sell fries anymore.

El Nino22

Nov 19, 2010
From reading Russo's notes from today it sounds like Yeo really prefers Mitchell on the third line with Cooke and Brodziak. Makes me wonder if both Zucker and Granlund are sent to Iowa for now with Nino taking the 2nd line LW spot alongside Coyle and Heatley. That would also leave Fontaine on the 4th line with Dowell/Konopka/Rupp/Steckel? Personally if Nino sticks in the top 6 I would prefer to put one of Coyle/Heatley/Nino on the top line to give some more size and net presence.

Nino-Koivu-Pomminville
Parise-Coyle-Heatley
Cooke-Brodziak-Mitchell
Fontaine-Steckel-Dowell

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
From reading Russo's notes from today it sounds like Yeo really prefers Mitchell on the third line with Cooke and Brodziak. Makes me wonder if both Zucker and Granlund are sent to Iowa for now with Nino taking the 2nd line LW spot alongside Coyle and Heatley. That would also leave Fontaine on the 4th line with Dowell/Konopka/Rupp/Steckel? Personally if Nino sticks in the top 6 I would prefer to put one of Coyle/Heatley/Nino on the top line to give some more size and net presence.

Nino-Koivu-Pomminville
Parise-Coyle-Heatley
Cooke-Brodziak-Mitchell
Fontaine-Steckel-Dowell

Yeo's been raving about Granlund though and really likes Granlund on the 2nd unit PP feeding both Nino and Coyle.

I think Granlund makes the team, Nino gets bumped to the 3rd line and Mitchell will have to suck it up and play the 4th. Yeo has said he's liked what Nino has brought on the 3rd line at times too.

Either that or Granlund will play the 4th line and get shifted up on occasion.

BTW - No way Steckle makes the team, he's here on tryout and there's simply no room for him. Russo said the only reason he wasn't let go yet was because they had needed him in practice because Koivu was out while his wife was in labor.

Parise-Koivu-Pominville
Niederreiter/Granlund-Coyle-Heatley
Cooke-Brodziak-Mitchell/Niederreiter
Fontain-Granlund/Dowell-Dowell/Mitchell
Konopka

El Nino22

Nov 19, 2010
Yeo's been raving about Granlund though and really likes Granlund on the 2nd unit PP feeding both Nino and Coyle.

I think Granlund makes the team, Nino gets bumped to the 3rd line and Mitchell will have to suck it up and play the 4th.

Either that or Granlund will play the 4th line and get shifted up on occasion.

BTW - No way Steckle makes the team, he's here on tryout and there's simply no room for him. Russo said the only reason he wasn't let go yet was because they had needed him in practice because Koivu was out while his wife was in labor.

Parise-Koivu-Pominville
Niederreiter/Granlund-Coyle-Heatley
Cooke-Brodziak-Mitchell/Niederreiter
Fontain-Granlund/Dowell-Dowell/Mitchell
Konopka

Yeah it seems like Mitchell really has been shafted in terms of lineup placement. Personally I love his skill set on the third line and even moving into the top 6 for a game or two if an injury came up. He just absolutely flies up and down the ice and seems to have moderate offensive awareness/playmaking ability. Kind of a shame we are paying him so much for 10 mins a night too, but I suppose he does make up for that with his PK time.

I realize Steckel won't make the team I was just thinking more along the lines if Zucker and Granlund got sent to Iowa he would stick around as that 13th forward until Rupp was ready to go. Also didn't Yeo say something along the lines of he hasn't thought about Granlund at wing? Maybe I'm mistaken but I thought I read that somewhere.

rynryn

May 29, 2008
Minny
Didn't Yeo say something a couple weeks back about both Suter and Brodin spending time with other partners during games? obviously mostly paired with one another but also bolstering someone else in different situations. to go along with his line juggling madness maybe they're working out a way to justify keeping two guys like Nino and Granny around (technically top six players but not enough spots) where on the lineup sheet one or the other is penciled in on 4 but both get shots on two (plus the PP time).

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Yeah it seems like Mitchell really has been shafted in terms of lineup placement. Personally I love his skill set on the third line and even moving into the top 6 for a game or two if an injury came up. He just absolutely flies up and down the ice and seems to have moderate offensive awareness/playmaking ability. Kind of a shame we are paying him so much for 10 mins a night too, but I suppose he does make up for that with his PK time.

I realize Steckel won't make the team I was just thinking more along the lines if Zucker and Granlund got sent to Iowa he would stick around as that 13th forward until Rupp was ready to go. Also didn't Yeo say something along the lines of he hasn't thought about Granlund at wing? Maybe I'm mistaken but I thought I read that somewhere.
The last blog he was mentioning how Granlund has the ability to play wing actually.

Also, if Steckle were to stick, they'd have to give him a contract which I don't think the team is even interested in doing.

One of Granlund and Zucker will stick, and with Granlund's camp it's hard to see how it's not him. Zucker has been far too inconsistent and still seems to struggle defensively. Granlund's been getting PK time on the other hand and has looked good doing it.

With Rupp injured, the Wild still only need to eliminate 2 players. Steckle is one, Zucker the other... then you have the roster. Konopka is on the block, but doubt there are any takers, so he will be on the roster as the extra.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Didn't Yeo say something a couple weeks back about both Suter and Brodin spending time with other partners during games? obviously mostly paired with one another but also bolstering someone else in different situations. to go along with his line juggling madness maybe they're working out a way to justify keeping two guys like Nino and Granny around (technically top six players but not enough spots) where on the lineup sheet one or the other is penciled in on 4 but both get shots on two (plus the PP time).

I would guess Granlund moves back and fourth between 4 and 2 (maybe even a shift on 1 from time to time?) and Nino would move from 2 to 3, with Mitchell moving from 3 to 4 at times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad