GDT: 9/22/13 Chicago @ Detroit - 5:00 p.m. highlights post# 243

sully6one

Unregistered User
Aug 6, 2011
Michigan
That's fair. I don't think he'll be as bad as he was tonight every night. I do think that tonight was representative of the areas Smith struggles in, though.

Of course, he also wasn't playing with his normal partner. It seems the guy can't cut a break in that sense. I'm wondering who would even be a suitable defense partner for him. Maybe DeKeyser, but that's about it.

edit: I think I'd actually like to see Almquist/Smith. Almquist is sort of calm and cerebral. It might compliment Smith's get-up-and-go style.

What about playing defense though?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
edit: I think I'd actually like to see Almquist/Smith. Almquist is sort of calm and cerebral. It might compliment Smith's get-up-and-go style.

Even strength? or PP?

Them together in the d-zone could be disastrous.

I think Dekeyser would be the ideal partner for Smith. If only we had 2 Dekeyser's :( lol

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Even strength? or PP?

Them together in the d-zone could be disastrous.

I think Dekeyser would be the ideal partner for Smith. If only we had 2 Dekeyser's :( lol
I'm not sold on Smith's PP ability so far. If you get him standing still, he seems kind of ordinary.

For the record, I mean the Almquist of next year. I don't think he's bad defensively so much as I think he weighs about the same as a freezer bag of chicken breast, and that affects his play. If he improves on that, I think he could be okay, especially since you can at least rely on Smith to be the chippy, physical one.

Sadekuuro

Aug 23, 2005
Cascadia
Enjoyed seeing Marchenko, aside from that one ugly gaffe.

Meanwhile, it's looking more and more likely we're going to give up five odd man rushes every game just like last season :(

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
Kronwall is a pretty good comparison for Smith. Both have elite offensive instincts, can play the body, and are at their best when they can skate. Smith likes to carry the puck some more and Kronner likes to move into empty spaces. Neither are PP QBs.

Both guys need defensive stay at home dman to be effective offensively. This is why Smith looks confused and bad when paired with Q, and Kronner isn't nearly as effective offensively when paired with a guy like Big E. Kronner's experience allows him to be a better player overall defensively, but he is not near as effective as he was when paired with Stuart.

Kindl is also an offensive dman, but he is of the QB mold. Lids vs Schneider/ Raffy. His game is all about puck control and running the offense. The PP can go through him. His defensive game is coming around but he isn't quite to the point that I'd consider him a two way dman. If he can learn how to better use his reach and vision, he'll become good enough to be considered a true two way dman. His game is a lot safer than Kronner and Smith and thus I think he could be paired with a two way guy and do well. Thats why the Dek/ Kindl pairing works.

Ericsson and Dekeyser are both two way dmen. Ericsson is still a forward playing D. He has just learned how to better use his body and reach to defend. If he was 6'0 instead of 6'5 I don't think people would be as thrilled with him as a so called defensive dman. I actually think his offensive skills are underutilized, as he has a booming shot and pretty good outlet passing instincts. Danny plays a very Lidstrom esque game. Its all about positioning and good vision, both offensively and defensively. As he grows more confident, I think his offensive game will come along more, more of a 30-35pt guy.

Quincey is just bad lol. He wasn't bad when he was playing a simple game as a defensive dman when he was first called up. Being given offensive chances in LA, Col, etc was the worst thing for him. He is a poor offensive dman, but they get paid more so he'd tried to mold his game that way. Now he plays neither well, and is an awful pairing for Smith.

Give Smith a guy like Matty Nordstrom, Brad Stuart, Brooks Orpik, etc and I think he'd look a lot better because he could play his game. This is the same thing that happened to Kindl in his first few seasons, only Babs likes Smith more. Until Kindl learned to play Babs system, he wasn't allowed to play his game. Until Smith learns to be a big Canadian defender, he won't be allowed to freewheel offensively, which he needs to do in order to look good.

I also think Smith is still a bit timid physically due to the suspension. Competition is so fierce that he isn't going to do anything that might get him suspended.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Ericsson and Dekeyser are both two way dmen. Ericsson is still a forward playing D. He has just learned how to better use his body and reach to defend. If he was 6'0 instead of 6'5 I don't think people would be as thrilled with him as a so called defensive dman. I actually think his offensive skills are underutilized

Ericsson's career high in points is 15. Don't really see an offensive skill set with him either. He's usually left off the PP.

RedWingsNow*

Ericsson's career high in points is 15. Don't really see an offensive skill set with him either. He's usually left off the PP.

True. But his pointer-per-60 were good last year- a lot of that being a function of who he is on the ice on.

The true issue with Ericsson is that his defense just isn't very good. He's not a liability. But if this is your "stay-at-home" rock, you're up the creek.

Johnz96*

It's not his fault he doesn't get any PP time, top scoring d-men get most their points on the PP.
He's the Wings #2 d-man. Not all d-men need to score a ton, and since they're loaded with players who are more offense than D on the blueline, his value is increased. That role is also why he doesn't get PP time, they have 4 other guys to do that, they don't need him. He's their top PK d-man instead, and 13 points with no PP time is actually pretty solid production. 13 ES points tied him with Kronwall as the Wings leader for ES points among d-men, and was more than Subban, Phaneuf, Green, Doughty, Edler all of whom had considerably more ES time than Ericsson.

Johnz96*

True. But his pointer-per-60 were good last year- a lot of that being a function of who he is on the ice on.

The true issue with Ericsson is that his defense just isn't very good. He's not a liability. But if this is your "stay-at-home" rock, you're up the creek.

You mean like last year when he was our stay ay home rock and we finished 5th in GA and were within 1 goal of beating the eventual Stanley Cup Champs.
It was the first time he has had so much responsibility in the NHL and he should be even better because of the experience.

RedWingsNow*

You mean like last year when he was our stay ay home rock and we finished 5th in GA and were within 1 goal of beating the eventual Stanley Cup Champs.
It was the first time he has had so much responsibility in the NHL and he should be even better because of the experience.

Yeah. Jonathan Ericsson was the reason we were fifth in GAA

Johnz96*

Yeah. Jonathan Ericsson was the reason we were fifth in GAA

He got the most SH time, they tried to always get him on the ice against the other teams top lines. He was their "defensive stay at home rock" and they weren't up the creek.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
It's not his fault he doesn't get any PP time, top scoring d-men get most their points on the PP.
He's the Wings #2 d-man. Not all d-men need to score a ton, and since they're loaded with players who are more offense than D on the blueline, his value is increased. That role is also why he doesn't get PP time, they have 4 other guys to do that, they don't need him. He's their top PK d-man instead, and 13 points with no PP time is actually pretty solid production. 13 ES points tied him with Kronwall as the Wings leader for ES points among d-men, and was more than Subban, Phaneuf, Green, Doughty, Edler all of whom had considerably more ES time than Ericsson.

Interestingly a couple of his last goals I remember were just like tonight, end of the game, PP type setup where he actually lets that bomb of a shot go. Got one through Quick last year like that late in a game. Problem is he doesn't really pass exceptionally well or keep the zone immaculately when he did do a fair amount of it down in GR. If you challenge the point he struggles at times, but he has the ability to play there and really should when we get double minor time. His problem has always been getting shots through and walking the line to open things up those are essential to running a PP, the reason why Kindl is currently our best out high PP guy.

Ericsson's stretch passing has got a lot better, if he could find a way to get his shot through more often his offense would pick up a bunch. But he is usually throwing it into guys shins or high off the glass.

RedWingsNow*

He got the most SH time, they tried to always get him on the ice against the other teams top lines. He was their "defensive stay at home rock" and they weren't up the creek.

Because the ENTIRE TEAM changed its strategy 15 games into the season when Babcock got tired of 6-4 and 5-3 games.

RabbinsDuck

Feb 1, 2008
Brighton, MI
Depends on how much the old washed up's suck or if they get hurt otherwise prepare for tatar on line 4 (hopefully a everyday player too boot), but count on clearly Mr. Useless Cleary dragging down the effectiveness off andersson and nyquist on line 3.

It's not the end of the world simply because it means Cleary is not playing on the Top 6, but on the bottom 6, where he belongs and can still be quite effective. It also means Nyquist or Tatar is playing in the Top 6, which seems win-win to me.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
Having Tatar and Nyquist out late in the game is further proof that the organization is sensitive to what is working. The entire fanbase is buzzing over the next euro-twins, if they can show this city that they can do it I guarantee any one of Cleary, Bertuzzi, Emmerton, Samuelsson, Miller, Eaves, Andersson,etc. will sit in their place. It's not that hard to do. Babcock is a confident guy and not afraid to move with success (at least I hope). I guess I'm talking about Gustav here because Tatar has already earned a spot. I think they both deserve a place every game possible to start, I hope the Wings do too.

Smith has grown on me but when a poster mentioned Drew Doughty I cringed. One of those 2 has become a near genius in his ability. We don't know if Brendan will make it. If he has strings of unbelievably terrible games he'll be in the press box. The DRW are not that stupid. Smith is such a unique player, almost a mad man, I'd like for his game to work. Looking at the success in GR Smith was THE core for years. Watching plays between him and the Griff line you feel that familiarity they share, who has been feeding Nyquist and Tatar for a long time. If someone tried to take Smith's spot right now I would laugh, he would tear their face off. But he needs to mature. He needs to do yoga, drink ginko/ginger tea and quit the cheap beer. In other words emulate Lidstrom and be focused on what the hell he's doing.

Chance on Chance

Jul 15, 2009
Canada

On the flip side our Ga/G went from 2.29 to 2.64 in the playoffs when were supposed to tighten up. Also we were one goal away from being eliminated in the first round

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
On the flip side our Ga/G went from 2.29 to 2.64 in the playoffs when were supposed to tighten up. Also we were one goal away from being eliminated in the first round

Our Ga/G went down rapidly, when we added DeKeyser in the lineup at last 11 regular season games.

Our Ga/G went up again, after DeKeyser was injured at the playoffs.

Also at these practise games, I'll always had a good feeling when I see that DeKeyser-Kindl pairing on the ice or even in the lineup. They just do things right and confident.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009

While that's true, we played the #1 and #2 offensive teams in the conference. Better teams, less puck possession, more goals in your net. More of a team thing rather than individual.

Chance on Chance

Jul 15, 2009
Canada
While that's true, we played the #1 and #2 offensive teams in the conference. Better teams, less puck possession, more goals in your net. More of a team thing rather than individual.

Well then it doesnt make sense for him to being up the we finished 5th in GA but when we play good teams when it counts we cant get it done

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad