GDT: #9 – Sabres at Sharks – Sat Oct 25, 4:00PM ET – MSG-B, Bell TV – WGR

mikemcburn

Oct 23, 2013
When they are young, you appreciate the skill set and the possibilities.

And when they're still only 24 and -

- have produced by far better their "entire" 2.5 seasons coming into this one

- is surrounded by a roster of floundering others who have also produced far better coming into this season

- has spent coming up to a year on a team with ever-changing line combos, positions, etc.

- is on a team that appears to generally have zero real "systems" other than dump 'n chase, which happens to be entirely outside what his proven talents *do* bring to the table

- is defensively no worse, and arguably better, than the other "top six"

- keeps his head up, smile on, and mouth shut no matter the flip flopping coach and roster

You maybe extend your patience rather than presuming he's a total bust.

Hodgson has his downside, for sure, and it doesn't take pulling off the blinders to see the holes in his game. But expecting him to perform any better than the other guys who are also floundering under current conditions is unfair.

If it was only Hodgson, then fine, go at him and wonder it's possible for a 24 yr old to regress so quickly. But it's not just Hodgson, it's Moulson, Ennis, Stafford, arguably also Stewart (didn't see enough of him before this season), and Foligno not taking a step forward at least.

When you've got at least 4 and arguably more "offensive" players regressing at the same time, and for an extended time, there's a common denominator...

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Bull. This team is a joke. They had like 15 shots, worked hard for chances that went in. Better than previous efforts but this team sucks on an ongoing basis.

This effort stuff is lots of crap when you are not icing talent and when, in fact, you are keeping better players in the AHL than the NHL.

It's a full on tank and Ted Nolan is in there to make sure it happens. More often than not, these goalies will not bail us out which is Murray's fail safe. Problem is there are teams working just as hard to be inept. We could finish fourth from the bottom and have what to show for it? A very high quality player, even a star, but no dignity.

We won our first regulation game of the season in our 9th game, calm down.

Moncton man

Jan 11, 2011
Moncton, NB
This effort stuff is lots of crap when you are not icing talent and when, in fact, you are keeping better players in the AHL than the NHL.
Who exactly should be on the team that is in Rochester? Grigorenko? Why because he showed in a handful of games in pre-season that he's taken steps to improve himself over the summer? Armia, Larsson? Isn't it better to keep them away from this train wreck of a season and get more pro experience then let them step in later in the season?
Grigorenko already has experienced the treatment Reinhart is getting. Should he step back into that landmine?

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
And when they're still only 24 and -

- have produced by far better their "entire" 2.5 seasons coming into this one

- is surrounded by a roster of floundering others who have also produced far better coming into this season

- has spent coming up to a year on a team with ever-changing line combos, positions, etc.

- is on a team that appears to generally have zero real "systems" other than dump 'n chase, which happens to be entirely outside what his proven talents *do* bring to the table

- is defensively no worse, and arguably better, than the other "top six"

- keeps his head up, smile on, and mouth shut no matter the flip flopping coach and roster

You maybe extend your patience rather than presuming he's a total bust.

Hodgson has his downside, for sure, and it doesn't take pulling off the blinders to see the holes in his game. But expecting him to perform any better than the other guys who are also floundering under current conditions is unfair.

If it was only Hodgson, then fine, go at him and wonder it's possible for a 24 yr old to regress so quickly. But it's not just Hodgson, it's Moulson, Ennis, Stafford, arguably also Stewart (didn't see enough of him before this season), and Foligno not taking a step forward at least.

When you've got at least 4 and arguably more "offensive" players regressing at the same time, and for an extended time, there's a common denominator...

I don't make excuses for players because I am a fan of them individually

That's your thing

And personally, I don't think he's regressed at all. And I am not judging him against others.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
And personally, I don't think he's regressed at all.

Totally agreed. I think he is what he is at this point. Maybe he'll develop a bit more defensive awareness, but that'd be about it.

He'll always have that shot and vision, so if he ever gets with the right linemates maybe he could flourish, but it's not going to be this year....for sure.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Totally agreed. I think he is what he is at this point. Maybe he'll develop a bit more defensive awareness, but that'd be about it.

He'll always have that shot and vision, so if he ever gets with the right linemates maybe he could flourish, but it's not going to be this year....for sure.

Agreed. At this point, he looks
Like a guy who will live on offensive IQ and "puck on stick" skill, But the lack of fire/heart in his game is beginning to wear on me. He doesn't have anything to push him to another level, and like you said, on this team it's going to be painfully obvious

I wish we could combine Ennis skating and heart/effort with a hodgson's actual hockey skill (since Ennis lacks all useful skills outside of his short area quickness)... Then we might have a useful player.

mikemcburn

Oct 23, 2013
I don't make excuses for players because I am a fan of them individually

That's your thing

Good enough that we can agree there are issues, but what you call persist with labeling "making excuses" (for the not so subtle ad hominem style of "debate") I call looking for reasons why a thing is a thing. Way more constructive. And entertaining ;-)

And personally, I don't think he's regressed at all. And I am not judging him against others.

Hard to imagine. This particular sport is, after all, a competitive one. Meaning judging against competition - both within the team and against opponents - is rather natural.

Awareness may only take him so far, and possibly not far enough to be readily noticeable? Personally I see him as needing a quick kick to the head to change his general mentality - he's not "small", if he took his man more and played sticky stick less, there'd be improvement for sure.

I think it's also possible to gain a bit more take-off speed, which would help defensively and offensively. The Sedins are prime examples of "slow" skaters and cerebral players who worked on it to not have their speed be such a detrimental factor - improvement that took into their mid/upper mid twenties.

The team hasn't had enough "right linemates" to go around since both Pom/Van were traded, and even then there wasn't enough of a 2nd line to ease the pressure on that trio. IMHO anyway.

Agreed. At this point, he looks
Like a guy who will live on offensive IQ and "puck on stick" skill, But the lack of fire/heart in his game is beginning to wear on me. He doesn't have anything to push him to another level, and like you said, on this team it's going to be painfully obvious

That's what I mean by a shift in mentality... something less "cerebral" out of him is what I'd like to see. More heart on sleeve, if only just a bit. He's gotta have the passion - they all have to have some of it to get this far in their careers, but it doesn't always come out on the ice the same for sure. Me, I'd like to "see" it too.

I wish we could combine Ennis skating and heart/effort with a hodgson's actual hockey skill (since Ennis lacks all useful skills outside of his short area quickness)... Then we might have a useful player.

You are quoting me now!:yo:

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Good enough that we can agree there are issues, but what you call persist with labeling "making excuses" (for the not so subtle ad hominem style of "debate") I call looking for reasons why a thing is a thing. Way more constructive. And entertaining ;-)

it's way more useful in confirmation bias

Hard to imagine. This particular sport is, after all, a competitive one. Meaning judging against competition - both within the team and against opponents - is rather natural.

that's a tasty nothingburger

Awareness may only take him so far, and possibly not far enough to be readily noticeable? Personally I see him as needing a quick kick to the head to change his general mentality - he's not "small", if he took his man more and played sticky stick less, there'd be improvement for sure.

dont hold your breath

The team hasn't had enough "right linemates" to go around since both Pom/Van were traded, and even then there wasn't enough of a 2nd line to ease the pressure on that trio. IMHO anyway.

Moulson 30 goal scorer
Stafford 20 goal scorer
Stewart 20-30 goal scorer

no excuses... the centers are terrible, and the wingers are suffering for it

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
SABRES SUSTAIN SUCCESS IN SAN JOSE
Neuvirth makes 29 saves for first win with Buffalo; Reinhart collects first NHL point

[NHL]654223[/NHL]

VIDEO
WATCH: MSG Post-Game Show

MORE
Infograph
NHL.com Game Recap
Carubba Collision of the Night

BUFvsSJS-IG.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad