#87 Sidney Crosby Milestone Thread - History will be made (1000th assist)

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
If Sid stays healthy next year, I imagine he'll pass Sakic. If he signs an extension this summer - which i'd wager is likely - odds are he'll pass at least Lemieux and Yzerman too. I'd like to see him hit 1800 and crack the all-time top 5 before it's all said and done, but time will tell.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
I'm thinking Crosby has a good chance of finishing top-6 - top-8 in hart trophy voting even though his team failed to make the playoffs.

It was an impressive season given his age and that it was his 19th season in the league. It certainly should add to his legacy regardless of whether they made the playoffs or not.

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
I think it's safe to say Sid's days of contending for the Hart are done, although he's certainly the Pens' most valuable player. From here on out, he's basically just chasing all-time statistical records. These are the "gravy" years for players like Sid and Ovi; they've won all there is to win, and now they're just rising through the all-time ranks until they can't do it anymore.

TheGuiminator

I’ll be damned King, I’ll be damned
Oct 23, 2018
Another elite season in the bag for Crosby. Probably missed out on a decent Hart finish if the Penguins would've made the playoffs

I can't think of any player who played close to their prime level for a whole career, Patrick Roy would be the closest

Reactions: TooManyHumans

filinski77

Feb 12, 2017
I'm thinking Crosby has a good chance of finishing top-6 - top-8 in hart trophy voting even though his team failed to make the playoffs.
There is 0 reason for any voter to put Crosby top-5 in the voting. Guy wasn't in the top-10 in points or goals.

Kucherov/Mackinnon/McDavid/Matthews should be on 100% of all Hart ballots. Then take a look at other guys ontop of that:
1) Panarin = 26 more points, 7 more goals. 43 more points and 10 more goals than #2 on his own team
2) Pastrnak = 16 more points, 5 more goals. 43 points and 18 more goals than #2 on his own team

Crosby = 27 more points and 14 more goals than #2 on his own team (noteworthy that Guentzel had just as many points as Crosby up until the point he left the team, and then went on to be the Canes best player after leaving).

Fantastic season by Crosby no doubt, but does not have a single argument really to be on a Hart ballot. All of the above is before even considering Q Hughes, Hellebuyck, Josi, Makar, Kaprizov etc.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
There is 0 reason for any voter to put Crosby top-5 in the voting. Guy wasn't in the top-10 in points or goals.
Except the Hart is not about who scores the most points. Definition is most valuable to his team. Youd be hard pressed to argue against Sid if he had dragged the Pens into the playoffs. They would have made up the most ground in the standings post trade deadline in the history of the NHL.

filinski77

Feb 12, 2017
Except the Hart is not about who scores the most points. Definition is most valuable to his team. Youd be hard pressed to argue against Sid if he had dragged the Pens into the playoffs. They would have made up the most ground in the standings post trade deadline in the history of the NHL.
Agreed - but I also went on to show that outside of the big-4, you had multiple other players who not only were significantly better players this year than Crosby this year, but also more dominant relative to their teams.

Not denying that Crosby was extremely important to his team at all. Simply not a top-5 Hart-worthy season at all.

WalterLundy

Nov 7, 2023
Pittsburgh, PA
Crosby career so far:
1272 GP: 592 G, 1004 A, 1596 P (1.25)

Players who had more points at exactly 1272 games played (other than Lemieux as he only played 915)

Wayne Gretzky:
845 G, 1788 A, 2633 P (2.07)

Mario Lemieux (915 career games):
690 G, 1033 A, 1723 P (1.88)

Marcel Dionne:
712 G, 1007 A, 1719 P (1.35)

Jaromir Jagr:
645 G, 953 A, 1598 P (1.26)

That’s the list. Remarkable career and by the end it looks like only Gretzky will have more points at Sid’s games played.

Next up behind Crosby at 1272 games is Steve Yzerman at 1578 P, Mark Messier at 1552 P and Joe Sakic at 1528 P.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Another elite season in the bag for Crosby. Probably missed out on a decent Hart finish if the Penguins would've made the playoffs
Probably but Hart voting is fickle and I'm sure he will still get some votes.

Gretzky in his age 36 season where he scored 97 points on a playoff team was only 15th in Hart voting so using Hart voting to measure actual worth from year to year isn't best done with Hart results.

I can't think of any player who played close to their prime level for a whole career, Patrick Roy would be the closest
Bobby Orr as those Black Hawk teams were atrocious and he still killed it 5 on 5 in small sample sizes.

Sundin has a really good prime career as does Howe, but that being said Crosby might be king of the hill here.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
If Sid stays healthy next year, I imagine he'll pass Sakic. If he signs an extension this summer - which i'd wager is likely - odds are he'll pass at least Lemieux and Yzerman too. I'd like to see him hit 1800 and crack the all-time top 5 before it's all said and done, but time will tell.
Especially if he signs with Colorado and actually has some talent to work with. :sarcasm:

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018

Kucherov/Mackinnon/McDavid/Matthews should be on 100% of all Hart ballots. Then take a look at other guys ontop of that:
1) Panarin = 26 more points, 7 more goals. 43 more points and 10 more goals than #2 on his own team
2) Pastrnak = 16 more points, 5 more goals. 43 points and 18 more goals than #2 on his own team

Crosby = 27 more points and 14 more goals than #2 on his own team (noteworthy that Guentzel had just as many points as Crosby up until the point he left the team, and then went on to be the Canes best player after leaving).

Fantastic season by Crosby no doubt, but does not have a single argument really to be on a Hart ballot. All of the above is before even considering Q Hughes, Hellebuyck, Josi, Makar, Kaprizov etc.
Agree with this but every year there are guys who get top 5 Hart ballots who probably shouldn't either.

I mean Ovi got 6 top 5 ballots in 21-22 2 for 4th and 4 for 5th with basically the same type of season and finished 10th overall.

Hart voters do weird things sometimes.

filinski77

Feb 12, 2017
Agree with this but every year there are guys who get top 5 Hart ballots who probably shouldn't either.

I mean Ovi got 6 top 5 ballots in 21-22 2 for 4th and 4 for 5th with basically the same type of season and finished 10th overall.

Hart voters do weird things sometimes.
Sure, point placement wise they were similar - but Ovechkin was also 4th in goals that season. Not 12th or whatever Crosby will be this season.

Matthews (rocket winner) won the Hart, Draisaitl (2nd place in goals) got 9th in Hart voting. Kreider didn’t get any Hart love, but was also 13 points behind Ovi (with only 2 more goals in 4 extra GP).

The top goal scorers of that year rightfully got Hart voted in my opinion. 4th in goals and 16th in points is rightfully a ~10th best season that year one way or another. For the “valuable to team angle”, Ovechkin also had more goals than #2 and #3 on his own team combined.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Especially if he signs with Colorado and actually has some talent to work with. :sarcasm:
If Sid is retiring after his deal ends, then I probably prefer he finish his career in Pitt. But, if he is planning on signing another contract, then I do hope he ends up somewhere where he can realistically make the PO next season via trade.

Offtheboard412

Feb 26, 2012

Yeah this season is just way too stacked with career seasons from so many great players. Maybe in a year like 21/22 Crosby's season may have been enough to slip into the top 5. For example, Panarin almost matched McDavid's numbers from 21/22 and he's not even in the conversation for the Hart. This kind of season where everything lines up perfectly and everyone is healthy and at the top of their game only happens once every 10-15 years, if that.

For next year I think if the team can figure out how to make this power play work I believe Crosby has a good chance at tying Sakic for the second oldest player to hit 100 points. The way he finished this season without Guentzel has me optimistic.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad