Post-Game Talk: #81: Penguins at Flyers, Saturday, April 9, 2016, 3:00 pm ET

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I have sorta mixed feelings about all this.

Glad they made it, they really worked hard to recover after the season seemed lost.
However, the run to the playoffs really drained this team, exposing the lack of depth, if the Penguins actually needed to win this game they might have been in serious trouble.

The good thing is Hextall is unlikely to be fooled by this playoff run and think this team is close to being truly competitive.

So enjoy the ride, and if they get swept, none of those stupid "let's trade Simmonds, V, . . . " threads and comments - they've overachieved.

If the Hockey gods shine on us, and we get past Washington, well, what the heck, maybe miracles happen?

Hurricane28

Angry Flyers STH/Weather Guy
Aug 22, 2012
South Jersey
I don't have mixed feelings. We got in, we thought that would be overachieving if the made it, but they did. Everything now is gravy

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
While I appreciate the well wishes from fans of other clubs, part of me is ... disappointed that the Flyers are held in (relatively) high regard. We need to work our way back up to being despised!!!

Thanks, especially, to the Senators for your help yesterday. That was quite the dissection of the Bruins when you had nothing but pride to play for.

Begrudging thanks to the Penguins for putting such a diminished line-up out yesterday.

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
If I told you guys at the beginning of the year that Brandon Manning would play 55-56 games (could be 56 if he plays tomorrow) this year & we'd still make the playoffs you'd guys tell me to put down the pipe (expect for Boxcar) but here we are. :laugh:

Good god we can't turn this defense over any sooner.

Heh, meaning of boxcar's life is just making improbable things happen (like him playing in the NHL for example) I guess, so the guys fed off it too

boxcar65

Sep 24, 2007
Richmond, VA
Feels great to see them back in the playoffs.

Brandon Manning is still unbelievable bad at hockey. :)

You didn't hit B-I-N-G-O with that comment, my friend. ManDog is always going to have his detractors, but I still say he and Gudas have played very well since they began their partnership. Say what you will about Gudas "carrying" him, but if you watch closely, they play off each other very well. They both know exactly where to go to help each other out, and the passing has been very crisp. Their combined Corsi has been excellent, and Manning's pinches have looked better the past several games.

I don't think their pairing is as much of a liability as many seem to think, however I do believe Manning's minutes against the Caps will be more limited than during the regular season.

boxcar65

Sep 24, 2007
Richmond, VA
Heh, meaning of boxcar's life is just making improbable things happen (like him playing in the NHL for example) I guess, so the guys fed off it too

Like I've said from the beginning, I just love the fact that an undrafted, hard working, team first guy made it to the NHL after four seasons in the AHL. His skill set is not the greatest, but he's fine as a #6 guy playing 15 minutes a game. He won't win every fight, but he will stick his nose in there and help his teammates.

Obviously there are intangibles we may not know about that keep him in the lineup. Hak and Hextall like him, his teammates like him, and he had leadership qualities in the past(Captain of his junior team, Alternate on the Phantoms). Let's all just continue to enjoy the ride of #23. I realize he probably won't be here next year, so I'm going to have fun this playoff season.

OzFlyers

Registered Boozer
Jul 3, 2011
Australia
Like I've said from the beginning, I just love the fact that an undrafted, hard working, team first guy made it to the NHL after four seasons in the AHL. His skill set is not the greatest, but he's fine as a #6 guy playing 15 minutes a game. He won't win every fight, but he will stick his nose in there and help his teammates.

Nice to put the human element in here. It is easy to dump on someone when he was just the best available player available due to the teams situation.

PK16

Jul 28, 2013

Obviously there are intangibles we may not know about that keep him in the lineup. Hak and Hextall like him, his teammates like him, and he had leadership qualities in the past(Captain of his junior team, Alternate on the Phantoms). Let's all just continue to enjoy the ride of #23. I realize he probably won't be here next year, so I'm going to have fun this playoff season.

Good luck in the playoffs Boxcar, we are all pulling for you :nod:

Mkoll

Inkvisiittori
Jul 5, 2008
New Brunswick, Canada
Posted on the pittsburgh board:

"It's sad that the only thing Philadelphia can take pride in is an entirely fictional movie."

American history must not be taught in Pittsburgh.

kicksave27

Nov 29, 2007
Pittsburgh board is dumpster fire. Just laughable.

As a flyers fan that went to penn state, they can be insufferable. Oddly, you ask someone who lives within a 30 mile radius of philly where they live, they will say philly. Somebody who's house is on Pittsburg city line will say Clifton heights or whatever.

It actually used to be a mutual respect thing, until the Crosby era fans ruined it.

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
Posted on the pittsburgh board:

"It's sad that the only thing Philadelphia can take pride in is an entirely fictional movie."

American history must not be taught in Pittsburgh.

Talks about what is sad. Posts such ignorant claim. On an internet forum. To make himself feel a bit better after losing. The irony. :laugh:

StateOfHexcellence

Mar 31, 2016
Ashes of Pattison
Pittsburgh board is dumpster fire. Just laughable.

Generational stupidity prevails .......cannot fathom their fantasy notions of hockey for 30 plus years now. This is every Pens board

They actually say Schenn was trying to knock Murray out while he was trying to score and he should be suspended.

I laugh at their incessant whining

kingjmusicman

Jan 4, 2016
Pittsburgh. About to win their 12th Stanley Cup in 8 years they're that good! And when a team's farm system consists of chickens, donkeys and tractors....well.....

Roo Mad Bro

U havin a giggle m8?
Dec 6, 2010
PA
Pens "fans" showing their true colors in their PGT.

Gonna be nice in a couple years after Crosby and Malkin are cooked to see that franchise spiral into irrelevancy for a long time.

qalex

Feb 13, 2013
Be careful not to paint them all with one brush, as some of them do with us.

Yeah. There are some complete idiots on that board, but there are also reasonable fans who sometimes even bother to call them on it. Who you end up supporting is accident of birth or exposure, so there'll be Stans in every group.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad