Post-Game Talk: #81: Penguins at Flyers, Saturday, April 9, 2016, 3:00 pm ET

qalex

Feb 13, 2013
Honestly cannot believe this. I had zero hope going into tonight, and after the start to the year.... Made it in on heart alone, it feels like.

As someone who only got into hockey in the lockout year, and then couldn't abandon a team when they were down even if I had only been supporting them a hot minute, I feel like I've earned the right to relish this. (What's the opposite of a bandwagon fan?!) So excited about getting to watch another playoffs!

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
hd-bogdanov_0001.jpg

That's right, we're in the Playoffs. Got a problem with that??!!

I have no idea what to say, some-weird-ass-Sergey-Bubka-on-botox-mixed-with-Caitlyn-Jenner?

Tweek2378

Sep 19, 2015
NJ
My stomach was in knots all day and was prepared for a letdown - I don't care how they did it, I don't care about the play the last few games, they are in and they now can get a few days to rest to recuperate :yo: I think my family was on the verge of making plans to not be here if they lost tonight/tomorrow :p

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
This Sens fan is saying congrats on making the playoffs.

Hope you guys go on a deep run. Good luck the rest of the way.

WestrnPhlyr

Go away or I shall taunt you a second time.
Jul 17, 2015
NW Inland Empire
I know it's just making it in and they're playing the Caps, but is it weird that I choked up a bit at the final horn? Smiling the whole time but a bit teary eyed as well.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
Pittsburgh inserted a goon into the lineup that predictably threw a dirty hit & likely will be suspended for it. :laugh:
Seeing a 4th liner like White who can be gritty without being the complete anti-version of a hockey player probably just makes Sestito mad.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
WELL DONE !!

got the points they needed with a game to spare !!

The whole team deserves credit for an extended period of good play. I thought they might have run out of gas but squeaked thru. Well done Flyers! Caps' biggest nightmare just came true - an opponent that isn't afraid of them and has nothing to lose!

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leave Pittsburgh things on the Pittsburgh board.

In other news....what? how did this happen?

Jumping

Jun 17, 2010
Atlanta Ga
Glad Belly got the empty netter. The man earned that goal over the last 15 games.

And I remember how Montreal fans would always comment on how the Wayne Train could only score on the power play. Holy Go To the Net Batman!

hckyplayer8

Don't bang the glass
Mar 26, 2011
Grand Forks,ND
Glad we made it.

Kudos to Simmonds and Mason for putting the team on their backs for the past week or so. Wouldn't be in If it wasn't for them.

Hopefully with the 1000lb gorilla off their backs Too and Jake start producing more.

Gonna need them to get past Wash.

AaronTrieu

Mar 6, 2008
His first playoffs! Hopefully it lights a fire under his ass, because he has the talent. Another 8 point game, perhaps? ;)

still need a gif of this

today has all the feels.

Lauren Hart starts with singing with ed snider on face time - was great to see. I'm hoping Ed is proud of the team and eases his pain of fighting cancer.

Simmer's reaction's at the end of the game - this guy is the heart and soul of this team. He is bonehead, but he gives everything emotionally, and physically he has for this team.

Post game comments from Giroux - for those that didn't hear, he got emotional when tim saunders was doing the post game interview for the radio and G had to take a moment and gather himself when asked about how the team gelled after the trade dead line and specifically about Gagne and Streit. Tim then later revisted that moment and told the listeners Giroux got emotional thinking about the question.

gotta love it.

VanFlyer

Feb 18, 2007
I am so damn satisfied right now, haha. :laugh: Really wanted playoffs for this group, they deserved it, even though they played like crap in last 3 games and almost missed it. They played "playoff" hockey for weeks, it's reasonable to expect a step back. They need to regroup now and I am sure they will, rest top players tomorrow. PP needs to get going if we want to stand any chance against the Caps.

Simmonds really showed himself big time today, just like yesterday. I have no idea how someone could want him to be traded. He's part of the core and leadership in this team.

Bring it on the Caps! Hoping for a great series. Should be really entertaining one. Don't care for the results, they can obviously only surprise from here, even making the playoffs was kinda unexpected. Let's go Flyers!

He also does a tremendous amount of work for inner city youth hockey. Many hockey players do allot of charity (especially for kids), so this is nothing new. The HBO special really highlighted how simmonds goes above and beyond.

kingjmusicman

Jan 4, 2016
Happy that it gnawed on him as much as some other people...(philly.com)

The mistake that could have kept the Flyers out of the playoffs has been weighing on Wayne Simmonds' mind for more than 21/2 weeks.

It happened on March 22, in Columbus against the Blue Jackets, with the Flyers leading by two goals and on a power play, with less than two minutes left in regulation, with Simmonds in possession of the puck in his team's defensive zone. He had what he described Saturday as a "brain fart." He thought he could ice the puck, to kill time, without stopping play. He was wrong.

To Simmonds, that moment of carelessness had cost the Flyers a point that could prove crucial in the Eastern Conference standings, and it wasn't until the Flyers' 3-1 victory Saturday over the Penguins was over, until he had scored two goals to help them clinch the conference's eighth and final postseason berth, that he could admit that the play had never left his mind.

"It hurt," he said Sunday. "It hurt a lot. It hurt me a lot. It hurt the guys. That was an opportunity where we could have had two points and not possibly leave it to the last game. So I needed to go out there and play my heart out for the rest of the season."

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
If I told you guys at the beginning of the year that Brandon Manning would play 55-56 games (could be 56 if he plays tomorrow) this year & we'd still make the playoffs you'd guys tell me to put down the pipe (expect for Boxcar) but here we are. :laugh:

Good god we can't turn this defense over any sooner.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad