80% of Draisaitl's starts are in the O-Zone, right way to develop a player?

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
I know some elite 2way guys like Toews have had like 60% of their starts in the o-zone in previous years so this doesnt really have anything to do with his defensive abilities, i just wanna know how being in the NHL helps him develop his all-around game.. especially when he's being hyper sheltered (80% is extremely absurd). It just doesn't seem like the right way to develop a player.

BTW they're taking the same approach with Yakupov too (74.5% O-zone starts), Edmonton's management claims that they want to help Yak improve his overall game but the statistics say otherwise. I have no idea how they plan on teaching Yak how to play a more defensive game when they're not putting him in defensive/pressure situations.

DjSJSGp.png

Last edited:

Emerz

#1 PLD Fanboy
Jun 5, 2013
Nova Scotia
Draisaitl just generally shouldn't be in the NHL right now, let alone being their 2C, its actually unimaginable that a group of their staff or whatever can sit around a meeting and decide that burning a year off his ELC for pretty much no reason at all is a good idea. Absolutely mind boggling.

Also didn't Yakupov realize had 75% o-zone starts and 8 points... ouch.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
jeeeessss.... I didnt realize how bad hat was... Draisitl AND Yak should not be playing in the NHL...

thoguh I do think Yak simply needs a change of scenery

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
Is this really necessary?

We get it. The Oilers are a dumpster fire. There's no need to dig up obscure stats to try to prove it.

Bolt32

Aug 24, 2004
Palm Harbor, FL
Draisaitl just generally shouldn't be in the NHL right now, let alone being their 2C, its actually unimaginable that a group of their staff or whatever can sit around a meeting and decide that burning a year off his ELC for pretty much no reason at all is a good idea. Absolutely mind boggling.

They should of told him to go represent Germany in the WJC. The fact they didnt made me. :shakehead :facepalm:

Playing in a high level tournament like that but obviously a couple steps down from the NHL is the best thing for his development, especially for a young kid who is struggling. What they hell are they thinking saying no on that?

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia

75% of his ice time still isn't much. He maybe should have more than 8, but still.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
He should be in Jr.

Absolutely. Oilers management got greedy at the idea of potentially using a big centre, but young guys almost always need time to develop more and round out aspects of their game. Throwing a teenager to the wolves is an awful way to try turn them into a solid NHLer.

He AND Yak would be much better off playing in a developmental league.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
75% of his ice time still isn't much. He maybe should have more than 8, but still.

The average O-Zone % is between 50%-55% (on a regular puck possession team) and thats for like top 6 players. 3rd line defensive centers get like 40%-50%, really hardcore ones get like 30-40%. The highest players usually get is around 60%.. but usually only high level 1st liners get those minutes (Toews, Kane, Tavares, Stamkos, Malkin, Ovi etc.).

Last edited:

JustAHabFan

Apr 8, 2008
Is this really necessary?

We get it. The Oilers are a dumpster fire. There's no need to dig up obscure stats to try to prove it.

You don't need stats to prove it. Just watch Draisaitl played you know right away he does not belong to the NHL.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
The worst part is, if Edmonton finishes last and lands McDavid, any future success they might have will be meant with eye-rolls from fans around the rest of the league.

I really hope Mac and Jack end up somewhere else..although as a Flyers fan I hope it's not New Jersey!

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
i feel for draisaitl

there is absolutely no reason for him to be with the big club at this point. he's clearly not NHL ready and of course, the oilers are completely messing up his development

WaveRaven

Apr 30, 2011
MB
He should be in the AHL ..... It's really too bad they can't some of the 18-19 yr olds need to be there.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Edmonton and developing players properly don't really belong in the same sentence and probably will never belong in the same sentence until they clear house, starting with Lowe.

Edit: After looking at the numbers, how does Boyd Gordon have any points this year? His line does all the heavy lifting.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad