TBN: 8 Sabres games will be carried exclusively on ESPN+

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
Stream quality has been fine. So far, VPN is working (for my hometown team - which is different than the Sabres).

No MSG/Sabres post game show.

I'm not affected by this but the ESPN+ exclusive is a marketing tool to get you to subscribe. I'm more concerned how much of the rest of the Sabres schedule gets streamed.

Folks make a good argument about the $7/mo ESPN subscription fee. But its become clear to me that I need to maintain a cable/Dish subscription plus ESPN+ to catch all of the Sabres games. (TNT, ESPN, ABC, NHL Network, etc...)

Hardly cord cutting by my definition.

BloFan4Life

Jul 8, 2009
NY
Kind of off topic, but is Fubo TV or Spectrum/Directv/Dish the only way to watch Sabres games on a tv in Buffalo. Do any of the other streaming services offer it?

JThorne

Stop accepting failure
Jul 21, 2006
Downtown Buffalo
There's still blackout for locals using ESPN+ to watch Sabre games that are carried by MSG. At least, there was for me on opening night. I don't have a vpn but I've been meaning to get one. Maybe this will finally push me to do it.

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix
Stream quality has been fine. So far, VPN is working (for my hometown team - which is different than the Sabres).

I'm not affected by this but the ESPN+ exclusive is a marketing tool to get you to subscribe. I'm more concerned how much of the rest of the Sabres schedule gets streamed.

Folks make a good argument about the $7/mo ESPN subscription fee. But its become clear to me that I need to maintain a cable/Dish subscription plus ESPN+ to catch all of the Sabres games. (TNT, ESPN, ABC, NHL Network, etc...)

There are still ways around it, I would assume ESPN+ will let you stream the ESPN and ABC games, if not a HD Antenna covers you for ABC, if you have any friends or family that still pay for service just get their provider credentials and login to the ESPN, TNT, ABC apps and you'll be able to watch live.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
There are still ways around it, I would assume ESPN+ will let you stream the ESPN and ABC games, if not a HD Antenna covers you for ABC, if you have any friends or family that still pay for service just get their provider credentials and login to the ESPN, TNT, ABC apps and you'll be able to watch live.

Good generalized advice. Thanks for the suggestions. But local and personal issues negate these options although I've explored nearly all of them.

Geography and home owner associations are not my friends and make a couple of these approaches near impossible. Esp. when it comes to HD antenna solutions. Not everyone in Colorado lives on top of the mountains here. Some live on the backside or behind them. LOL

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix
Good generalized advice. Thanks for the suggestions. But local and personal issues negate these options although I've explored nearly all of them.

Geography and home owner associations are not my friends and make a couple of these approaches near impossible. Esp. when it comes to HD antenna solutions. Not everyone in Colorado lives on top of the mountains here. Some live on the backside or behind them. LOL
SlingTV Orange Package + Sports Addon would get you ESPN, TNT, NHLN and thats like 45/mo. If you prepay for 3 months you can get AirTV 2 + HD Antenna for $50 and see what you can pickup on the antenna, then it just integrates the channels into Sling.

Watch Live Local TV on AirTV | Sling TV

The device is pretty cool I have on, you just set it up connect it to your WiFi, hook up your antenna and scan for channels, link it to your sling and all the broadcast locals show up in the sling app, then you can plugin a USB drive to it to use as a DVR for any OTA content.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
SlingTV Orange Package + Sports Addon would get you ESPN, TNT, NHLN and thats like 45/mo. If you prepay for 3 months you can get AirTV 2 + HD Antenna for $50 and see what you can pickup on the antenna, then it just integrates the channels into Sling.

Watch Live Local TV on AirTV | Sling TV

The device is pretty cool I have on, you just set it up connect it to your WiFi, hook up your antenna and scan for channels, link it to your sling and all the broadcast locals show up in the sling app, then you can plugin a USB drive to it to use as a DVR for any OTA content.

I'll send you a hi res digital elevation model of where I live someday. You'll see what I have to deal with signal wise.

Hell, on a good day I only get one bar on my phone network. LOL

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo

espn+ works well for me because they picked up laliga this year. otherwise i would just resort to other means to watch hockey. it is a bummer that they don’t do post-game shows for NHL though

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
I actually like the games on ESPN+. Since I already have ESPN+ (came with the Hulu/Disney+ bundle), and that means I don't have to pay separately for NHL.tv this year.

I do NOT like the NHL Network exclusive games, since I don't get NHL Network. They shouldn't consider that to be a "national broadcast" for blackout purposes. NHLN does not come with most standard cable or streaming packages. You usually have to subscribe to some premium tier to get it. I don't mind that they put games on NHL Network, but those games shouldn't be blacked-out from ESPN+ or MSG.

Reactions: Jacob582

toomuchsauce

Jan 7, 2015
For anyone with ESPN+ in the local Buffalo market (i.e., subject to Sabres games being blacked out), do you know if you can watch archived games through ESPN? (i.e., can you go back and watch the Sabres-Coyotes game after 3 days, like you could on NHL TV)?

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
For anyone with ESPN+ in the local Buffalo market (i.e., subject to Sabres games being blacked out), do you know if you can watch archived games through ESPN? (i.e., can you go back and watch the Sabres-Coyotes game after 3 days, like you could on NHL TV)?
I think it's 24 hours after the end of the game.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
I see no archived games on my ESPN+ interface. I don't have a full ESPN subscription

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
When youre on the ESPN+ tab scroll down to NHL and hit that then you should see a grouping for On Demand which is the archive.
I found it. Too bad it's not organized by team. But if you list the Sabres as a favorite team the most recent games are in the "Recommended for You" section near the top. Also found that it is subject to blackouts so if you live in local broadcast area you have to watch it on MSG. I cancelled it. I'll get the next 2 exclusives before the subscription runs out.

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix
I found it. Too bad it's not organized by team. But if you list the Sabres as a favorite team the most recent games are in the "Recommended for You" section near the top. Also found that it is subject to blackouts so if you live in local broadcast area you have to watch it on MSG. I cancelled it. I'll get the next 2 exclusives before the subscription runs out.
I'm in the Yote market and I was able to watch the Yotes/Sabres game after 48 hours on ESPN+

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $380.00