8 Righties and Crosby/Hossa in top10 goalscoring

Tweed

Jun 25, 2006
I'm positive there was a comprehensive thread discussion on here a couple years ago, probably worth digging up.

I'm also very interested in the subject. Personally, I think righties should be taught to shoot right. I suspect left-shooters whose parents handed them a stick to let nature run its course, weren't accounting for the fact that kids learn through imitation, in a lot of cases.

I also think the right hand is for power and aim, and the left hand is for balance. (Speaking strictly about right hand dominant people, of course).

Think about the legs and feet, and their role in all of this. It would be the same relationship. We need someone to watch left-shooting righties skate, to compile data on which foot they push off on, and also which foot they shoot off of. (First person that pops into my head as an example is Kessel. His shot is very deceptive, for this very reason.)

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Honestly it probably just depends on how you first held a stick. I didn't play as a kid, but I shoot left because my parents didn't know jack **** about hockey and got me a left-shooting roller hockey stick when I asked for one for Christmas when I was nine. I've shot left ever since and it feels natural.

I do personally like the control of having my dominant hand on the top of the stick, though.

My dad and I shoot left and are right handed my brother is right handed and shoots right but my dad thought it was easier to cut in on your dominant foot (think goofy for snowboarding) so he got my brother a right handed stick and that's how he learned how to play

Raym11

Oct 6, 2009
Right handed, shoot right.

Kick with left foot.

Is that weird?

El Travo

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?
Aug 11, 2015
Right-handed, shoot right, forced to shoot left as a goalie.

That was a struggle.

Captain Creampuff

Sep 10, 2012
I'm right handed. I shoot left in hockey, right in golf, and switch hit in baseball.

I feel like I have 10x better stickhandling and more accurate when shooting left but I can get more power out of my shot right handed.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
It's weird, I'm a righty shoot left in hockey. When I was little, I wanted to golf lefty but the only clubs around were right. It felt weird for a while but eventually got the hang of it.

But then again, I'm not a great golfer!

I'm a pretty good hockey player, played rep and some university, I shoot left. I am also and 9 handicap in golf and at one point was a 6. I golf right. I am right handed and my left is pretty well useless for anything that takes dexterity.

May father who is left handed plays hockey right and golf's right as well.

He just handed me a straight stick when I first started and let me do what felt natural.

TrueGrit

Jul 3, 2006
Most people in the world are right handed so it makes sense.

Crosby is right handed. He just shoots left.

Dominant hand typically goes on top. The theory is, in Canada most kids pick up a hockey stick first and use it as such, in the US most kids pick up a baseball bat first which has translated into more right handed players.

As a goalie who catches left, I've always had more difficulty with right handed shooters, for whatever reason.

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
Dominant hand typically goes on top. The theory is, in Canada most kids pick up a hockey stick first and use it as such, in the US most kids pick up a baseball bat first which has translated into more right handed players.

As a goalie who catches left, I've always had more difficulty with right handed shooters, for whatever reason.

Because it's easier to shoot towards the corner you shoot. I should left and feast on goalies that catch with there right.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Pretty sure your shot has more to do with what your dominant foot is and how you generate power from your lower body. I would guess how most people shoot, would be similar to how they would stand on a skateboard when trying to ollie/jump.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Would be cool if we saw an NHLer come up that was just as good shooting both ways and would switch it up from game to game to exploit certain opposing team weaknesses.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad