8 Righties and Crosby/Hossa in top10 goalscoring

Love

Feb 29, 2012
Righties have better shots because they have their dominant hand lower on the stick, which is where you lean on the stick to get power when shooting.

Sorry I couldn't resist. Don't take me seriously.

Fazkovsky

Sep 4, 2013
Laine ovechkin benefit from being rh shots from where they shoot on the pp

I have seen pastrnak do the same as well

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
Righties have better shots because they have their dominant hand lower on the stick, which is where you lean on the stick to get power when shooting.

I always wondered how that worked (just speaking in general). I write with my right hand, I threw/pitched with my right. I batted from the left of the plate, but found I could also bat from the right side as well, in hockey though I shot left.

TychoFan

Feb 24, 2013
Canada
What are the league proportions of RH/LH shots? Is there a site that breaks that down by position and other ways too?

TychoFan

Feb 24, 2013
Canada

I laughed at your post

but then I noticed you're a Canucks fan so I have this feeling your white section was a lie. Sorry I couldn't resist. Don't take me seriously.

It's funny how some people believe that. Handedness in hockey/baseball has always fascinated me though.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Probably 95% of NHL players have their dominant hand on the top of their stick, hence why so many players shoot left.

Maybe 95% of players who shoot left. A majority of players who shoot right are right handed.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
I'm right handed and shoot left. I thought that's how it normally is?

Most people in Canada are like this. I believe in the states most shoot right. I'm right handed and shoot right in hockey, golf, baseball and lacrosse.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Probably 95% of NHL players have their dominant hand on the top of their stick, hence why so many players shoot left.

And yet the best stickhandler of all time - Mario Lemieux - is right handed and was a right handed shooter.

So I don't know that it's cut and dry in terms of how one should hold a stick when being taught.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG

Nah man, it's weirder than that.

I read up a bunch of handedness and shooting left or right because my kid started playing hockey this year. Everything I read was just "give your kid a stick, see what way he holds it". My kid held it shooting left (though he is a rightie), so he went with that.

The thing is.. that although handedness is the same all over the world, with ~10% of people being lefties, the way you hold your stick in hockey varies quite a lot around the world.

In Canada (and I believe Europe), most players shoot left, but in the US, most players shoot right. There are many theories about why this is, none of which are conclusive. There are also theories about whether it's better to have your dominant hand on the top (better control in stick handling), or better to have your dominant hand on the bottom (more strength on your shot), with again nothing conclusive.

wabagee

Nov 24, 2014
It's weird, I'm a righty shoot left in hockey. When I was little, I wanted to golf lefty but the only clubs around were right. It felt weird for a while but eventually got the hang of it.

But then again, I'm not a great golfer!

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
And yet the best stickhandler of all time - Mario Lemieux - is right handed and was a right handed shooter.

So I don't know that it's cut and dry in terms of how one should hold a stick when being taught.

Honestly it probably just depends on how you first held a stick. I didn't play as a kid, but I shoot left because my parents didn't know jack **** about hockey and got me a left-shooting roller hockey stick when I asked for one for Christmas when I was nine. I've shot left ever since and it feels natural.

I do personally like the control of having my dominant hand on the top of the stick, though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad