Line Combos: 8 Games Left - What Line Combos Make Sense?

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
A few thoughts before I put mine out:

4th place by Division:

Bruins - 60 points
Canadians - 49 points
Coyotes - 47 points
Predators - 54 points

The Ranger and the Flyers have 56 and 51.

If we somehow blow the final spot (very small possibility) who gets the most blame?

A few lineup thoughts:

I still am in the camp that you separate Barzal and Eberle. I understand BT wanting to adjust lineups based on opposition characteristics but the Caps just beat us twice in our building so Einstein's theory of Insanity needs to be taken to heart. We don't have enough size to beat their size at their game, which lately is also our game. Their offensive firepower (34 more goals than us through 48 games) is too much for us if we can't solve their defense, which has given up only 18 goals in their last 11 games.

If we play Pittsburgh (which quietly has now ascended to 1st place while we were focusing on catching Washington by going 21-7) we need to keep their offense in check and we lost our last two to them also. Pittsburgh offense is on fire lately too yet they also just won a 1-0 win over Boston, showing they are winning multiple ways.

I just don't get the issue with playing veterans when they aren't producing. BT has his way and when I pointed out his playoff record with Nashville over the years I was pooh-poohed over it. I'm sure he and LL discussed at length the Zajac/Palmieri deal and right now the two of them are not producing what was expected. Pageau went though a similar phase last year so there's still hope but it's time to make an adjustment.

Do any of us think we are on pace to replicate last year's Varlamov-driven defense run in the playoffs? I'm not getting the same feeling right now. The team is frustrated by their lack of production and clearly the other three playoff teams are peaking while we are not and don't think for a minute our players aren't noticing. We've gone for a fight for first place to very possibly fourth place in about a week, how does that not make you tighten up on the ice and that shows in the goal scoring.

We need to find a way to get back to 3 goals a game or we are going out in the 1st round no matter who we play. And God forbid a complete collapse and a Ranger surge going into the last game or two. Our schedule is SIGNIFICANTLY easier than theirs, which would make it even worse.

The key question is will Lou kind of override BT in lineup suggestions or still give BT full latitude. Just because both have similar approaches to building from the net out, they don't always have the same approach to younger players and the unwillingness of BT to take a longer term view on the kids has been worrisome for awhile. So here's what I want to see:

Palmieri - Barzal - Wahlstrom

One line needs to have firepower for when you need a late goal. We have no line that can accomplish that now. This line will likely give up scoring opportunities too but that's the price you pay when you can't score currently. Put our two best snipers/most willing shooters on the wings and go for it with this line. Put up with the occasional odd-man rush because getting Barzal players who NATURALLY go to space is what he needs to be most effective.

Dal Colle - Nelson - Eberle

This line allows Eberle to get back to driving play, which he was so effective at when split from Barzal for a few games. Of all the lineup calls BT has made, his constant force-feeding of Barzal/Eberle is the one that baffles me the most. Nelson gets to play higher in the zone and Dal Colle works the corners and gets in front.

Beau - Pageau - Bailey

Bailey can play third man high here and let the other two generate. We kind of forget how much Bailey's offense was a part of last year's run and right now he's got 8 points in 10 games in April. This line is sound defensively and Beau/Pageau are more effective on the counter rush where their speed can exploit.

Zajac - Cizikas - Clutterbuck

In case anyone hasn't been paying attention, the Identity Line has scored ONE GOAL and TWO ASSISTS in the ENTIRE month of April. In 31 games played! And a combined -14. Some of us warned that the BT system wears down players and it can't been seen easier than this performance. Maybe rotate Zajac into each position so the 4 are sharing 3 slots (even Komarov could do be used for a game or two). Either they need some rest or they are showing the long grind of the condensed season. Either way SOMETHING needs to change.

I'd rather go down like this than try to keep playing games where we are struggling to score a goal. The PP is not going to magically repair itself this late in the season so find a way to get more 5 on 5.

PhysicalGraffiti

Bolts STM
Jul 26, 2007
NY to TB
Though I can't stand Clutter (might be alone, but to me he's just a former tough guy who has nothing now) I love the lineup you suggested.

I don't know if I can argue having Leo over Clutter despite my feelings.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
1. I agree about splitting Barzal and Eberle.
2. You can't do that without splitting up Beau/Pageau/Bailey.

Wahlstrom is not going to play 18 minutes per night. Putting him on RW1 puts too much on his plate. The solution is to play Bailey with Barzal. I think Bailey's hockey sense and ability to facilitate teh breakout will really help. Stick either Beauvillier or Palmieri on RW, sprinking in a Pageau double shift was needed.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
1. I agree about splitting Barzal and Eberle.
2. You can't do that without splitting up Beau/Pageau/Bailey.

Wahlstrom is not going to play 18 minutes per night. Putting him on RW1 puts too much on his plate. The solution is to play Bailey with Barzal. I think Bailey's hockey sense and ability to facilitate teh breakout will really help. Stick either Beauvillier or Palmieri on RW, sprinking in a Pageau double shift was needed.

Bailey and Eberle BOTH are pass first, there's no benefit to Barzal. That line won't need to play 18 minutes if they score goals.

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
I am no longer the only "crazy one" I guess. The criticism of Trotz and especially his lineup decisions and combos, but also his system, are starting to take much more widespread heat from Isles fans and media all over the internet. And deservedly so. It is time to put his stubbornness aside and do what is best for the team.

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
It is time to put the 12 best players in the lineup and put them on the line where their role fits. No more heavy bodies talk or focus on balancing the lineup. Quite frankly, if the line combos were used that I am seeing most suggest all over the internet, we would have a balanced lineup.

Palmieri - Barzal - Eberle
Beauvillier - Nelson - Zajac or Bailey
Zajac or Bailey - Pageau - Wahlstrom
Martin - Cizikas - Clutterbuck

We have not seen this lineup or combos a single time since the trade deadline. And it is all because Barry thinks only he knows the way and is smarter than any other coach alive. Yet, even the majority of fans can see this.

Tahoeblue

Nov 29, 2019
Reno/Tahoe
I'll take a stab at it. I know many more Isles fans watch every minute of every game and probably have more input than me. Here's the lineup in my head right NOW.

Beau Barzal Palmieri
Bailey Nelson Eberle
Zajac or MDC JGP Wally
Ross or Martin CC Clutter or Leo

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
My preference:

Beauvillier-Barzal-Bailey
Palmieri-Nelson-Eberle
Komorov-Pageau-Wahlstrom (additional PK option)

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
It is time to put the 12 best players in the lineup and put them on the line where their role fits. No more heavy bodies talk or focus on balancing the lineup. Quite frankly, if the line combos were used that I am seeing most suggest all over the internet, we would have a balanced lineup.

We have not seen this lineup or combos a single time since the trade deadline. And it is all because Barry thinks only he knows the way and is smarter than any other coach alive. Yet, even the majority of fans can see this.

You know that when you're the head coach of an NHL team, and one of the most winningest coaches in NHL history, it likely does mean that he's smarter than almost any other coach alive? The fan base is dumb, stop gauging how right you are based off of popular opinion.

I have no problem with the suggested lineup, but Trotz is going to want someone who can take faceoffs for Barzal on that top line most likely.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
You know that when you're the head coach of an NHL team, and one of the most winningest coaches in NHL history, it likely does mean that he's smarter than almost any other coach alive? The fan base is dumb, stop gauging how right you are based off of popular opinion.

I have no problem with the suggested lineup, but Trotz is going to want someone who can take faceoffs for Barzal on that top line most likely.

Is that the case the other night? I only saw the boxscore but it looked like Barzal was playing on the wing because he didn't have a number under the faceoff percentage category, while all of Nelson, Cizikas, Zajac and Pageau did.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
I vote for NHL teams to play with lineups submitted by fans for the remainder of the season.

Heck, just make the playoffs all interactive, remove the coach, and fan polls show up on the scoreboard at each whistle to the lineup the fans want.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010

The only time that's important during the game is if the Barzal line gets caught on the ice after an icing or on the PP (when you can mix what you want). Most of the time you just put up with the 42%.

CaptDenisPotvin

The Tampa Bay Astros are your 2021 Champions
Jun 20, 2007
What I would like to see is actually

1st Pageau-Barzal-Eberle

I think Pageau is one of the most underrated finishers on the team. He has average vision but Barzal and Eberle would be the playmakers and Barzal doesn't take faceoffs anyway so we would have one of our best guys in the faceoff circle on the ice with our most dangerous forwards in offensive zone starts.

2nd - Beau-Nelson-Bailey

Bailey looked better after coming back into the lineup, Beau needs a jump start but did play well against the Rag$. Nelson is just kind of constantly good/not great but reliable.

3rd - Walstrom-Zajac - Palmieri

Palmieri should be the primary threat on this line with Zajac playing a two way type of game but maybe Walstrom can find space to get off his wrister. If he can not, I wouldn't be against Dal Colle taking his spot and making this more or less a defensive line.

4th - Martin-CC-Komarov

I have disliked Komarov in the lineup for awhile now, the fact that I'm indorsing this just shows how terrible Clutter has been this year. Komarov has shown he can PK well, make a few plays here and there and throws the body. Unfortunately hes a better player than Clutterbuck at this time.

Definitely not what I was looking forward to when we made these trades but based on what I'm seeing now I think this is an acceptable lineup that has punch top to bottom. Also Coburn played well in the 1 game he had, just penciling in Mayfield and Dobson every game shouldn't be the case. The best 6 should play on the backend.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
When you write stuff like this do you really believe what you say or are you just venting your spleen?

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
The only time that's important during the game is if the Barzal line gets caught on the ice after an icing or on the PP (when you can mix what you want). Most of the time you just put up with the 42%.
There are times when coaches would put out a 2nd center for defensive zone faceoffs when the D zone is close to the bench. Win the faceoff and get the other center off the ice. It’s not ideal but it’s done. Just not in the 2nd period with the long line change

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
When you write stuff like this do you really believe what you say or are you just venting your spleen?
I think more and more people believe it actually. When you see Barry say there is going to be a shakeup to the first line today, how much you wanna bet that means the first line tomorrow is Leo Komarov with Barz and Eberle. He just goes back and forth to the same thing. And none of it is working. But he needs heavy bodies on each line and a guy who can take faceoffs. Give me a break. At a crucial time in the game you can make alterations, there is no reason you need to have a lineup for the whole game set because you need a "heavy body" on the first line. Just absurd.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
There are times when coaches would put out a 2nd center for defensive zone faceoffs when the D zone is close to the bench. Win the faceoff and get the other center off the ice. It’s not ideal but it’s done. Just not in the 2nd period with the long line change

I just think we overemphasize the faceoff issue with Barzal. If he takes 10 a game and goes 4/10 versus someone else going 5/10 it just isn't that big a deal if the majority of those faceoffs are in our offensive zone or in neutral ice.

Reactions: YoureMyBoyLou

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site

At least Barry has a resume with a background and accomplishments that supports how much he knows about hockey. What credentials do you have to think you are smarter than any other coach alive? Is it just that some fans agree with you? And if so, what credentials do they have?

This sort of attitude reminds me of anti vax people or flat earthers -- ignoring the actual experts with legitimate resumes and backgrounds, and instead going off of self proclaimed experts on the internet who have no real or verifiable credentials.

Reactions: The Real JT and MJF

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I think more and more people believe it actually. When you see Barry say there is going to be a shakeup to the first line today, how much you wanna bet that means the first line tomorrow is Leo Komarov with Barz and Eberle. He just goes back and forth to the same thing. And none of it is working. But he needs heavy bodies on each line and a guy who can take faceoffs. Give me a break. At a crucial time in the game you can make alterations, there is no reason you need to have a lineup for the whole game set because you need a "heavy body" on the first line. Just absurd.
So you didn’t answer my question.

Glorydays22

Nov 21, 2011
My Suggestion for chaning the lines

Nelson- Barzal - Eberle
Beauvillier - Pageau- Bailey
Wahlstrom - Zajac - Palmieri

Maybe put in Uncle Leo for Wahlstrom since Trozs isn't happy with Wahlstrom and is in love with Leo.
I think Nelson on Brazal's like is the key.

Reactions: SI

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad