Line Combos: 8 Games Left - What Line Combos Make Sense?

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I think more and more people believe it actually. When you see Barry say there is going to be a shakeup to the first line today, how much you wanna bet that means the first line tomorrow is Leo Komarov with Barz and Eberle. He just goes back and forth to the same thing. And none of it is working. But he needs heavy bodies on each line and a guy who can take faceoffs. Give me a break. At a crucial time in the game you can make alterations, there is no reason you need to have a lineup for the whole game set because you need a "heavy body" on the first line. Just absurd.

You admitted to not knowing x's and o's, now you're sure on how to achieve the best results with the x's and o's you don't know about. :laugh:

Last edited:
Reactions: Seph and MJF

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
It was so much easier when you could just pencil in Gillies-Trottier-Bossy every night.

If chat boards were around then we'd be shuffling that line too if the team lost 3 in a row.

Not sure they even lost that many but you get my drift.

Actually, you are not correct in that. Arbour shook up the lines a LOT. Tonelli played the LW, so did Bourne. It was almost always Trots and Boss but the LW shifted a lot.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Good point.

I remember JT mixed in but don't remember Bourne.

Nice to have options like Al had.
Bourne was with Trottier and Bossy the least. Clark Gillies started clicking with Butch Goring and Duane Sutter in 1981-82. Tonelli also clicked on the first line. Those were anchor lines. Gillies also skated with Brent and Duane Sutter in 1983. We were blessed with talent and so much versatility. Arbour could give us many different looks.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Bourne was with Trottier and Bossy the least. Clark Gillies started clicking with Butch Goring and Duane Sutter in 1981-82. Tonelli also clicked on the first line. Those were anchor lines. Gillies also skated with Brent and Duane Sutter in 1983. We were blessed with talent and so much versatility. Arbour could give us many different looks.
I think you’re off on the year. It was that line in 1980 that was ‘offside’ - ahem - when the fourth goal was scored in game 6 against the Flyers

Reactions: MJF

Sheva7

Work Hahd Play Smaht
Oct 11, 2011
In case anyone hasn't been paying attention, the Identity Line has scored ONE GOAL and TWO ASSISTS in the ENTIRE month of April. In 31 games played! And a combined -14. Some of us warned that the BT system wears down players and it can't been seen easier than this performance. Maybe rotate Zajac into each position so the 4 are sharing 3 slots (even Komarov could do be used for a game or two). Either they need some rest or they are showing the long grind of the condensed season. Either way SOMETHING needs to change.
This is VERY concerning

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here
A few thoughts before I put mine out:

4th place by Division:

Bruins - 60 points
Canadians - 49 points
Coyotes - 47 points
Predators - 54 points

The Ranger and the Flyers have 56 and 51.

If we somehow blow the final spot (very small possibility) who gets the most blame?

A few lineup thoughts:

I still am in the camp that you separate Barzal and Eberle. I understand BT wanting to adjust lineups based on opposition characteristics but the Caps just beat us twice in our building so Einstein's theory of Insanity needs to be taken to heart. We don't have enough size to beat their size at their game, which lately is also our game. Their offensive firepower (34 more goals than us through 48 games) is too much for us if we can't solve their defense, which has given up only 18 goals in their last 11 games.

If we play Pittsburgh (which quietly has now ascended to 1st place while we were focusing on catching Washington by going 21-7) we need to keep their offense in check and we lost our last two to them also. Pittsburgh offense is on fire lately too yet they also just won a 1-0 win over Boston, showing they are winning multiple ways.

I just don't get the issue with playing veterans when they aren't producing. BT has his way and when I pointed out his playoff record with Nashville over the years I was pooh-poohed over it. I'm sure he and LL discussed at length the Zajac/Palmieri deal and right now the two of them are not producing what was expected. Pageau went though a similar phase last year so there's still hope but it's time to make an adjustment.

Do any of us think we are on pace to replicate last year's Varlamov-driven defense run in the playoffs? I'm not getting the same feeling right now. The team is frustrated by their lack of production and clearly the other three playoff teams are peaking while we are not and don't think for a minute our players aren't noticing. We've gone for a fight for first place to very possibly fourth place in about a week, how does that not make you tighten up on the ice and that shows in the goal scoring.

We need to find a way to get back to 3 goals a game or we are going out in the 1st round no matter who we play. And God forbid a complete collapse and a Ranger surge going into the last game or two. Our schedule is SIGNIFICANTLY easier than theirs, which would make it even worse.

The key question is will Lou kind of override BT in lineup suggestions or still give BT full latitude. Just because both have similar approaches to building from the net out, they don't always have the same approach to younger players and the unwillingness of BT to take a longer term view on the kids has been worrisome for awhile. So here's what I want to see:

Palmieri - Barzal - Wahlstrom

One line needs to have firepower for when you need a late goal. We have no line that can accomplish that now. This line will likely give up scoring opportunities too but that's the price you pay when you can't score currently. Put our two best snipers/most willing shooters on the wings and go for it with this line. Put up with the occasional odd-man rush because getting Barzal players who NATURALLY go to space is what he needs to be most effective.

Dal Colle - Nelson - Eberle

This line allows Eberle to get back to driving play, which he was so effective at when split from Barzal for a few games. Of all the lineup calls BT has made, his constant force-feeding of Barzal/Eberle is the one that baffles me the most. Nelson gets to play higher in the zone and Dal Colle works the corners and gets in front.

Beau - Pageau - Bailey

Bailey can play third man high here and let the other two generate. We kind of forget how much Bailey's offense was a part of last year's run and right now he's got 8 points in 10 games in April. This line is sound defensively and Beau/Pageau are more effective on the counter rush where their speed can exploit.

Zajac - Cizikas - Clutterbuck

In case anyone hasn't been paying attention, the Identity Line has scored ONE GOAL and TWO ASSISTS in the ENTIRE month of April. In 31 games played! And a combined -14. Some of us warned that the BT system wears down players and it can't been seen easier than this performance. Maybe rotate Zajac into each position so the 4 are sharing 3 slots (even Komarov could do be used for a game or two). Either they need some rest or they are showing the long grind of the condensed season. Either way SOMETHING needs to change.

I'd rather go down like this than try to keep playing games where we are struggling to score a goal. The PP is not going to magically repair itself this late in the season so find a way to get more 5 on 5.
Well thought out. I like it.

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here
It was so much easier when you could just pencil in Gillies-Trottier-Bossy every night.

If chat boards were around then we'd be shuffling that line too if the team lost 3 in a row.

Not sure they even lost that many but you get my drift.
If chat boards were around in the 70s, I would have been complaining about Pat Price.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
A few thoughts before I put mine out:

4th place by Division:

Bruins - 60 points
Canadians - 49 points
Coyotes - 47 points
Predators - 54 points

The Ranger and the Flyers have 56 and 51.

If we somehow blow the final spot (very small possibility) who gets the most blame?

A few lineup thoughts:

I still am in the camp that you separate Barzal and Eberle. I understand BT wanting to adjust lineups based on opposition characteristics but the Caps just beat us twice in our building so Einstein's theory of Insanity needs to be taken to heart. We don't have enough size to beat their size at their game, which lately is also our game. Their offensive firepower (34 more goals than us through 48 games) is too much for us if we can't solve their defense, which has given up only 18 goals in their last 11 games.

If we play Pittsburgh (which quietly has now ascended to 1st place while we were focusing on catching Washington by going 21-7) we need to keep their offense in check and we lost our last two to them also. Pittsburgh offense is on fire lately too yet they also just won a 1-0 win over Boston, showing they are winning multiple ways.

I just don't get the issue with playing veterans when they aren't producing. BT has his way and when I pointed out his playoff record with Nashville over the years I was pooh-poohed over it. I'm sure he and LL discussed at length the Zajac/Palmieri deal and right now the two of them are not producing what was expected. Pageau went though a similar phase last year so there's still hope but it's time to make an adjustment.

Do any of us think we are on pace to replicate last year's Varlamov-driven defense run in the playoffs? I'm not getting the same feeling right now. The team is frustrated by their lack of production and clearly the other three playoff teams are peaking while we are not and don't think for a minute our players aren't noticing. We've gone for a fight for first place to very possibly fourth place in about a week, how does that not make you tighten up on the ice and that shows in the goal scoring.

We need to find a way to get back to 3 goals a game or we are going out in the 1st round no matter who we play. And God forbid a complete collapse and a Ranger surge going into the last game or two. Our schedule is SIGNIFICANTLY easier than theirs, which would make it even worse.

The key question is will Lou kind of override BT in lineup suggestions or still give BT full latitude. Just because both have similar approaches to building from the net out, they don't always have the same approach to younger players and the unwillingness of BT to take a longer term view on the kids has been worrisome for awhile. So here's what I want to see:

Palmieri - Barzal - Wahlstrom

One line needs to have firepower for when you need a late goal. We have no line that can accomplish that now. This line will likely give up scoring opportunities too but that's the price you pay when you can't score currently. Put our two best snipers/most willing shooters on the wings and go for it with this line. Put up with the occasional odd-man rush because getting Barzal players who NATURALLY go to space is what he needs to be most effective.

Dal Colle - Nelson - Eberle

This line allows Eberle to get back to driving play, which he was so effective at when split from Barzal for a few games. Of all the lineup calls BT has made, his constant force-feeding of Barzal/Eberle is the one that baffles me the most. Nelson gets to play higher in the zone and Dal Colle works the corners and gets in front.

Beau - Pageau - Bailey

Bailey can play third man high here and let the other two generate. We kind of forget how much Bailey's offense was a part of last year's run and right now he's got 8 points in 10 games in April. This line is sound defensively and Beau/Pageau are more effective on the counter rush where their speed can exploit.

Zajac - Cizikas - Clutterbuck

I'd rather go down like this than try to keep playing games where we are struggling to score a goal. The PP is not going to magically repair itself this late in the season so find a way to get more 5 on 5.
And Komarov, in 9 games in April, has as many assists as all three combined.

They're a combined -14. Who leads the team in +/- in April? Eberle (+5), Barzal (+4), Komarov and Pulock (+3).

Reactions: leeroggy

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
If we want to talk about easy schedules, well, that's why Pitt has surged to first. They are likely to remain there barring collapses against poor teams. Pitt is where they are because they did well against tough teams earlier in their schedule. I don't think it's got much to do with the way they are playing now. They almost allowed a comeback against the Devils after going up big. Their weakness is goaltending and that's going to be a glaring standout come playoff time.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
The shakeup to line #1 will be more than just swapping ut Komarov and Zajac.
I see this going 2 ways -
  1. Eberle and Palmieri swap linemates. Eberle slides in with Nelson and MDC and Palmieri and Zajac play with Maty. I think this is the most likely scenario. OR
  2. Nelson moves with Eberle and Barzal. Zajac centers MDC and Palmieri. This has been my preference all along. For me, it makes too much sense. Line #1 is top-heavy, but Pageau's line and Zajac's line both can contribute goals on the 5 on 5.
There is also a long-shot possibility that Wahlstrom lines up with Maty, which I believe could be really dynamic. Maty and Wahlstrom might be future linemates - it just might not be now.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
If chat boards were around in the 70s, I would have been complaining about Pat Price.

Trust me, PLENTY of fans got on Pat Price's case! He was the 11th overall pick his draft year. But we complained over the family phone instead or while playing table hockey. None of us wanted to be Pat Price in street hockey!

Reactions: buud and beach

IslesRock4

Ever Forward
Jul 21, 2007
Long Island
My guess for tonight:

Bailey-Barzal-Palmieri
MDC-Nelson-Eberle
Beau-Pageau-Komarov

Would like to see Wahlstrom back in but guessing Trotz will wait until the Rangers for that.

There’s so many ways to go, including also breaking up the 4th line as others have pointed out. Clutter or Martin can use a game off. But I think the most important thing is to get 2 new linemates for Barzal. He is completely off his game.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Trust me, PLENTY of fans got on Pat Price's case! He was the 11th overall pick his draft year. But we complained over the family phone instead or while playing table hockey. None of us wanted to be Pat Price in street hockey!
The fans tore up Gordie Lane worse than this board chews up and spits out Scott Mayfield.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Other than the last two rows not being able to see the scoreboard in a few sections, I loved everything about the Coliseum! Great sightlines, low ceiling, the place rocked.
Best popcorn in the NHL. Freshly popped like in the movie theaters.

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
I don’t know where to put this

Attachments

• 8F559F2B-08AF-4808-9B0F-AD671D7247E6.jpeg
    8F559F2B-08AF-4808-9B0F-AD671D7247E6.jpeg
    50.6 KB · Views: 7
Reactions: Mr Misunderstood

Ad

Upcoming events