GDT: #8 // Coyotes and Senators

cobra427

May 6, 2012
The first two the Sens put on a tee for him. It takes skill to finish, which he did, and is nice to see. Third was an empty netter which I suppose - given the Coyotes track record with empty nets - should be praised.

There's a difference between the Coyotes beating a team and that team beating themselves. The games against LA, Anaheim, and now the Sens were the latter. I'd say really only the Pens game felt earned, and they are playing like ass still. It's nice to not be a total embarrassment but the unwatchable hockey of last year is starting to shine through. It's going to be rough if Hanzal is hurt for a significant amount of time.

Bods first 2 goals were money and showed his high end skill, nothing lucky about it. What about the 4 short handed goals we gave up in those games, more than all of last year, some would say we beat ourselves. Every game we win or lose is because of mistakes we make or the other team makes. The NHL is about mistakes that wind up in your net. Every team that loses has themselves to blame.

We are playing like ASS even though we are 4-3-1, way above expectations? Boy I can't wait until we play well :) The truth is, we are playing pretty well and getting solid goal tending compared to expectations and talent level, we aren't the Ducks.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
We all know Chip is a short term bandaid in our top 9. We had an injury we went with Plan B. We won.

Nice that Boedker showed up. Please repeat. Often. Earn the contract.

Thought kids were hanging a bit high tonight in D zone. I actually thought John Scott played well. I'm not advocating a first line spot for him but he didn't offend me with his play.

Ever since OEL launched his fashion line his brain has been elsewhere. He's got to pick up his game. He's better than what he's showing.

That's how I saw it as well.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I don't like Chipchura on the 4th line. Higher than that is an atrocity and Tippett should be brought before the UN and tried for crimes against humanity. That said, we all expected this. There is no surprise. It is the perfect representation of what is frustrating about Tippett, though. It's an easy example to point to when Tippett's pig headedness and obvious bias makes fans grouchy.

Losses suck, even when you expect them. Wins should be fun, especially when they're viewed as a bonus. I'll start cheering for losses in January, but not right now. The performance of Domi, Duclair, and Rieder should be all we need to be happy as fans this season. Especially with what Dvorak and Strome are doing in the OHL right now, and how talented the top five in this draft look.

The darkest of days should be behind us.

I know you don't like DT so I will take your first paragraph with a grain of salt, but I agree with the rest of your post.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
Hang out down here long enough, pour enough emotional energy and money down the Coyotes Drain and you'll start to be like them. I've only been on this fail boat for three years (three dreadful, dreadful years), and haven't yet contracted the highly communicable disease known as UghThatsSoCoyotesitis, but my day is coming. It gets everyone. Symptoms vary from person to person, but severe cases leave people completely incapable of rational thought. The targets of their rage varies based on which 4th liner they last saw not sprinting around the ice wildly, and in most of calendar 2015, it's been Kyle Chipchura. The hallucinations are so bad that people afflicted with the disease can't even pronounce their words properly ... you'll hear Tipchura or Chipsyuk or a number of other things. Boedker too. And Smith. Oh good heavens, do they hate Mike Smith.

We advise our Western Canadian tourists to avoid close contact with those afflicted, bring all-dressed chips and Kokanee Beer when they make their winter pilgrimage and to please leave their toques in Manitoba. Enjoy your stay in forum 40 ;)

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Bods first 2 goals were money and showed his high end skill, nothing lucky about it. What about the 4 short handed goals we gave up in those games, more than all of last year, some would say we beat ourselves. Every game we win or lose is because of mistakes we make or the other team makes. The NHL is about mistakes that wind up in your net. Every team that loses has themselves to blame.

We are playing like ASS even though we are 4-3-1, way above expectations? Boy I can't wait until we play well :) The truth is, we are playing pretty well and getting solid goal tending compared to expectations and talent level, we aren't the Ducks.

Cobra, I couldn't agree more. :)

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
The first two the Sens put on a tee for him. It takes skill to finish, which he did, and is nice to see. Third was an empty netter which I suppose - given the Coyotes track record with empty nets - should be praised.

There's a difference between the Coyotes beating a team and that team beating themselves. The games against LA, Anaheim, and now the Sens were the latter. I'd say really only the Pens game felt earned, and they are playing like ass still. It's nice to not be a total embarrassment but the unwatchable hockey of last year is starting to shine through. It's going to be rough if Hanzal is hurt for a significant amount of time.

For the most part, most all wins and losses are earned. Yeah there may be some situations where we win and are not the best team on the ice as many times as we lose and are hands down the best team.

So, are you saying that the Coyotes are immune to beating ourselves? Cause I think that we did enough in our losses to give the other team the wins there. That's what happens in sports. Even if a team doesn't play great against us, maybe we are doing some things to add to the opposition beating themselves. Be willing to give the Coyotes some credit in its wins. Don't be afraid to say that we gave away the loss to a team like NJ.

It almost sounds like you are saying that our wins were undeserved, but in our losses, we actually played really well and didn't deserve to lose. Can't have it both ways.

Painful Quandary

Mar 22, 2015
California
Hang out down here long enough, pour enough emotional energy and money down the Coyotes Drain and you'll start to be like them. I've only been on this fail boat for three years (three dreadful, dreadful years), and haven't yet contracted the highly communicable disease known as UghThatsSoCoyotesitis, but my day is coming. It gets everyone. Symptoms vary from person to person, but severe cases leave people completely incapable of rational thought. The targets of their rage varies based on which 4th liner they last saw not sprinting around the ice wildly, and in most of calendar 2015, it's been Kyle Chipchura. The hallucinations are so bad that people afflicted with the disease can't even pronounce their words properly ... you'll hear Tipchura or Chipsyuk or a number of other things. Boedker too. And Smith. Oh good heavens, do they hate Mike Smith.

We advise our Western Canadian tourists to avoid close contact with those afflicted, bring all-dressed chips and Kokanee Beer when they make their winter pilgrimage and to please leave their toques in Manitoba. Enjoy your stay in forum 40 ;)

I have to say, I listened to the Ottawa and New Jersey games through the radio feed. It reminded me of listen to McClellan coached Sharks (Especially the NJ game, it gave me chills).

We too in Sharkland suffer from a similar disease. It starts with scapegoating a 4th liner or bottom-pair defenseman, and before you know it, you are hating your star players. Even when everything is going right, there is something to complain about. I swear, our motto should be "we can't have nice things." My guess is this disease must occur from hating the Kings, but that is an early hypothesis.

The couple things I will say are great job acquiring Domi and Duclair, they are going to terrorize the Pacific for a long time. Also, having had John Scott on my team last season, he isn't as bad as the HFBoards make him out to be. He may be slow, but he has good hockey sense and knows when to hit versus when to play the puck. I really wish we could have jettisoned Mike Brown I kept Scott.

KG

Sep 23, 2010
We have good reason to be grumpy at Boeds. He's a frustrating player to watch, because he never plays for long periods up to his potential, and he's been a pita on every contract negotiation so far.

Highly likely he's traded if he doesn't sign an extension by TDL.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
We're a .500 team right now. That's better than we should have expected, but certainly no reason to get complacent.

roadrunner

Jul 25, 2003
U Can'tTake Me Alive
Visit site
Coyotes are above .500. Mikkel Boedker got the first star on nhl.com. Kyle Chipchura has a funny last name and got an assist and was +2 with the least amount of ice time besides the fourth liners. He did as asked with an injured Vermette, but won only 18% on the dot. Lindback stopped 35/36. I'd like him to start against the Leafs and have the hated Mike Smith try to get redemption against the B's the next night.

zerekstar

Dec 5, 2010
Thunderbay, On (Kakabeka Falls)
Anyone have any updates on Hanzal and Vermette?

I don't but I was thinking, I wished we had placed some better call-up options on the farm team. Personally, I think Dvorak would have been better utilized in the AHL then the OHL and would leave us the option of calling him up when needed. I think he is the most NHL ready of all the prospects not on the team and it would have got him used to playing against men which would make the full transition next year, easier. The OHL obviously will be good too but I think it would have been better for the Coyotes to have him available for call-up if needed and he would gain great experience. Springfield sucks and could also use the help. I'm starting to wonder if Hank is ever going to make it.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
It almost sounds like you are saying that our wins were undeserved, but in our losses, we actually played really well and didn't deserve to lose. Can't have it both ways.

I have no idea how you get that from what I posted.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I don't but I was thinking, I wished we had placed some better call-up options on the farm team. Personally, I think Dvorak would have been better utilized in the AHL then the OHL and would leave us the option of calling him up when needed. I think he is the most NHL ready of all the prospects not on the team and it would have got him used to playing against men which would make the full transition next year, easier. The OHL obviously will be good too but I think it would have been better for the Coyotes to have him available for call-up if needed and he would gain great experience. Springfield sucks and could also use the help. I'm starting to wonder if Hank is ever going to make it.

Dvorak can't play in the A. Those are the rules.

zerekstar

Dec 5, 2010
Thunderbay, On (Kakabeka Falls)
Right, I forgot about the rules. (sigh). We are in pretty sad shape for call-ups this year. It's a good thing winning isn't our biggest objective this year. Let's continue with the development and let the chips fall where they may.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
It was warranted with Moss. He couldn't even crack an AHL line up this season, yet he was given the most important roles last year. Power play and extra attacker ice time. That's why people have an issue with Tippet. Just because a player looks like he's working hard, like moss, that doesn't mean he has the talent to be on the ice for those purposes. He was never going to tie a game for us so it was completely useless to play him. Tippet should of put out a forward who had the talent to score, not work hard with out seeing any rewards for his "hard work".

To be fair, David Moss is just a really good guy. Sure, I mean, noone else in the league wanted him this year or last. He DID sign in the prestigious Swiss league last offseason, and DID manage a try out at the AHL level this year. He's got lots of try. Our coach is not stubborn and does not play favourites. If Toby Reider was better than David Moss, he would have made the roster last year out of camp. The best players play.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
To be fair, David Moss is just a really good guy. Sure, I mean, noone else in the league wanted him this year or last. He DID sign in the prestigious Swiss league last offseason, and DID manage a try out at the AHL level this year. He's got lots of try. Our coach is not stubborn and does not play favourites. If Toby Reider was better than David Moss, he would have made the roster last year out of camp. The best players play.

Wait, that doesn't fit our narrative.

ParisSaintGermain

Jan 19, 2004
Just watched the game.

Really liked the Martinook Richardson Doan line and it was fitting that Richardson got that GWG.

Rieder was invisible. Lindback was very solid.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
I have no idea how you get that from what I posted.

Well, you had mentioned that teams are beating themselves when they have played us. That leads me to think that you are saying our wins were not based off of us playing well, but instead that the other team "gave" us the victory. So, we didn't deserve those wins. But we have also beat ourselves in losses, too. I never got the impression that you were saying the other team didn't work for their wins.

It became implied that when we have won, it was b/c the other team played poorly moreso than the Coyotes playing well. But when we have lost, it was b/c the other team played well, and not b/c we looked like ****. That's why I was saying that you can't have it both ways. It's like you are discounting our wins solely as a result of the other team playing poorly, but in our losses not counting that we did the same thing that the opposition has done in our wins.

We can only control how we play.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
It became implied that when we have won, it was b/c the other team played poorly moreso than the Coyotes playing well. But when we have lost, it was b/c the other team played well, and not b/c we looked like ****. That's why I was saying that you can't have it both ways. It's like you are discounting our wins solely as a result of the other team playing poorly, but in our losses not counting that we did the same thing that the opposition has done in our wins.

What?

There are four scenarios

1. Coyotes win, other team played well
2. Coyotes win, other team didn't even try
3. Other team wins, Coyotes played well
4. Other team wins, Coyotes didn't even try

I see a lot of 2 and 4 this year. Is that straightforward enough?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad