Bruins Classics GDT 8:30 PM NESN - 2011 SCF GAME 4 - THE BEAR WANTS BLOOD - Canucks lead series 2-1

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I agree but by this point Luongo had given up 12 goals in 1.75 games. I've always thought Vigneault waited too long to put Schneider in. He should have done it after Luongo gave up the fourth goal in Game 2.

His confidence was probably completely wrecked at that point. Game 3 was a terrible game for him, but Game 4 wasn't bad and he still goes down as giving up 4 and giving up 12 goals in 2 games.

I don't think I've ever seen a goalie with as much pressure on him in one playoff run as Luongo in 2011. He was already the butt of 7uongo jokes for getting wrecked by the Blackhawks the previous two years, but he also had Corey Schneider coming up behind him and threatening to take his job. And in the first round Luongo did lose his job when the Hawks came back from 3-0 to cut it to 3-2, it's only because Schneider got hurt that Luongo got to start again - and they almost blew that game and were a post away from losing in OT (not unlike the Bruins against Montreal). Nashville and SJ weren't difficult opponents for them, so he didn't face the scrutiny until the Bruins came out blasting him and he ran up against Tim Thomas. He didn't help things by mocking Thomas after game 5 either. But I remember in the leadup to games 5 and 7, Canucks fans were holding a vigil at the seawall that Luongo supposedly liked to walk on to clear his mind, so that no one could heckle him. Sad.

He didn't get any help in game 7, but I think the Bergeron shorty was one of the weakest goals for an all-star goalie to give up at that point and it broke the team.

His legacy will go down as a loser/choker. And it's too bad because he does generally seem like a really funny dude. But f*** the Canucks anyway.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
259085_2034513135168_4713667_o.jpg

\\
244177_2034510055091_7245120_o.jpg

upload_2020-4-17_22-22-11.png

Reactions: BMC

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Marchand flipping Daniel Sedin was a f***ing great part of this series. Also Timmy mixing it up with Burrows. The third period of this game was really when we asserted our physical dominance over them and the Canucks never got their swagger back.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Marchand flipping Daniel Sedin was a f***ing great part of this series. Also Timmy mixing it up with Burrows. The third period of this game was really when we asserted our physical dominance over them and the Canucks never got their swagger back.

The thing is their chippy but skilled players were actually pretty good. Dislikable pukes absolutely.

Burrows Torres Bieska Rome Hanson Glass Kesler.

Sedins and Luongo really let them down.

I had given them too much credit for games 1 and 2 in my memory they weren’t really the better team rewatching we definitely should have won 2 and 1 was a toss up. Do you even deserve game 1 if your at home and can’t score for 59 mins though? Being in the Garden and getting chirped by Vancouver fans at first intermission that they should have brought a broom sticks with me. Will be interesting to see game 5.

Thomas had his own rough moments that playoff run difference was he responded Luongo folded.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
The thing is their chippy but skilled players were actually pretty good. Dislikable pukes absolutely.

I had given them too much credit for games 1 and 2 in my memory they weren’t really the better team rewatching we definitely should have won 2 and 1 was a toss up. Do you even deserve game 1 if your at home and can’t score for 59 mins though? Being in the Garden and getting chirped by Vancouver fans at first intermission that they should have brought a broom sticks with me. Will be interesting to see game 5.

Thomas had his own rough moments that playoff run difference was he responded Luongo folded.

Did he?

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017

I agree mostly. The narrative of it being a really physical team vs. a really soft team is overstated and mostly extrapolated from the Sedins being emasculated constantly. But down that roster other than the top line, they were physical. Kesler was a gritty player though he didn't fight through adversity at all, Burrows was a cheapshot artist, Raffi Torres was one of the dirtiest players in league history, Mason Raymond played bigger than he was, Tanner Glass was a big boy, and Manny Malhotra was probably the one guy on that team I have respect for. Their defense on average was probably bigger than ours (if you remove Chara as an outlier). So it's not so much that we completely physically overwhelmed them. It's more that they had terrible leadership from their twin captains and the bad vibes diffused from the top-down.

Pardon my French, but if there was a Mount Rushmore for being a p***y, Daniel Sedin's face would be prominently featured.

Reactions: BMC

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad