8/14 NHLPA proposal presented

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeathToAllButMetal

Let it all burn.
May 13, 2010
As I mentioned in another thread, revenue sharing will not change how much you pay to see your team. That is based upon the size of the market, the amount of competition in the market, and how much the fans in that market are willing to pay.

Maybe try arguing how it's not fair your ticket revenue will be used to subsidize teams you are competing with, that's a far more legitimate argument.

So what? Tomayto, tomahto. I don't think anyone is naive enough today to think that ticket prices would suddenly plummet if revenue sharing was completely removed from the NHL. The arguments are pretty similar. They both come down to people griping about the fairness of the system. And the lack of any tangible benefits to propping up all these sad-sack teams.

DeathToAllButMetal

Let it all burn.
May 13, 2010
It's not always about seeing your team dominate. I'd rather see good hockey played on a regular basis, whether the solution is relocation or revenue sharing.

Also, some of us Habs fans have the perspective of having been Expos fans, so we've seen the situation from the other side.

How does revenue sharing support "good hockey"? It may prop up parity, but that isn't the same thing as good hockey.

I was an Expos fan, too. But that team needed to be moved just as badly as the Phoenix Coyotes.

Blue Shakehead

because lol Jets
Mar 18, 2011
www.becauseloljets.com
Check the numbers. That Canadian assistance plan was peanuts. Now, the CDN teams are funnelling most of the nearly $200 million sent south.

In 2001, the Calgary Flames, Edmonton Oilers, Ottawa Senators and Vancouver Canucks were getting $2.7 million in annual assistance when the Canadian dollar was $0.64 US.

The Leafs and Habs didn't qualify because of market size.

Puckschmuck*

In 2001, the Calgary Flames, Edmonton Oilers, Ottawa Senators and Vancouver Canucks were getting $2.7 million in annual assistance when the Canadian dollar was $0.64 US.

And how does this compare to what some American teams are getting today?

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
Some western Canadian hockey fans are so ungrateful. Without the CAP there would be teams in Montreal, Vancouver, Toronto that's it.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
Some fans in eastern canada have been pretty arogant towards small market teams as well.
The players have been arrogant, because they hate the cap, at least some still do. And frankly since Toronto, Vancouver and Montreal have done nothing but pay regardless of location(which is why I don't understand the ragging on the south), I guess they have a right to complain.

King Woodballs

Captain Awesome
Sep 25, 2007
Your Mind
The players have been arrogant, because they hate the cap, at least some still do. And frankly since Toronto, Vancouver and Montreal have done nothing but pay regardless of location(which is why I don't understand the ragging on the south), I guess they have a right to complain.

How is not liking the cap being arogant towards small market teams?
If it is such a problem having a cap, the players can quit playing a sport for millions and go flip burgers at mcdonalds for minimum wage.

No one has the right to complain
If you dont like that your team pays money to weaker teams, dont buy a ticket.
Doesnt get easier then that

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
How is not liking the cap being arogant towards small market teams?
If it is such a problem having a cap, the players can quit playing a sport for millions and go flip burgers at mcdonalds for minimum wage.

No one has the right to complain
If you dont like that your team pays money to weaker teams, dont buy a ticket.
Doesnt get easier then that
In the same vein, the league has to expand so, you can't complain about canadian money going south when it was flowing east and north. Not you per se, but people here and on the CBC, etc. That being said, I am against rev sharing and the cap period. When you make money, you should keep it.

It's arrogant because those teams are gone without the cap.

The Last Baron*

In the same vein, the league has to expand so, you can't complain about canadian money going south when it was flowing east and north. Not you per se, but people here and on the CBC, etc. That being said, I am against rev sharing and the cap period. When you make money, you should keep it.

It's arrogant because those teams are gone without the cap.

Your big mistake is that you keep thinking a fringe forum speaks for franchises.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
Your big mistake is that you keep thinking a fringe forum speaks for franchises.
Ok. Some fans I think are being unfair to the south. I think there are 4 groups in this, small market Canada, small market us, Big market players.
You were just complaining about the money American teams were receiving. You don't support small market teams at all. You have two positions for everything.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004

The Leafs and Habs didn't qualify because of market size.

And those 4 canadian teams had the right to match any RFA offers thrown at their players with same numeral amount of canadian dollars with league making up the difference.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
And those 4 canadian teams had the right to match any RFA offers thrown at their players with same numeral amount of canadian dollars with league making up the difference.
If someone wanted to leave, they will leave, no cap will prevent that.

vyktor

Jan 23, 2008
It seemed to me that the NHLPA deal was offered in an attempt to divide and conquer the small market poor teams from the wealthy big market teams. What do you feel would happen if the owners did the same. call it a tax on the rich players, redistribution of wealth. Seems that the majority of Players make less than $4mil, so no roll back for them. %30 roll back for players between 4-6 mil and a %40 roll back on the $8mil and above crowd. Most teams would only have the 4-5 players who take up the majority of the cap affected, and everyone only gets 1 vote.

Last edited by a moderator:

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
did the meetings today already end?:huh:

This is not looking good.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2012/08/23/nhl_cba_thursday/

The meeting between the league and the NHL Players' Association lasted about 90 minutes.

They are either making incredible progress with such short meetings or they are about to give up. What's wrong with these people? It's summer, they have nothing else to do. Find a place, talk for 8 hours a day until it get resolved.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

Sanderson

Sep 10, 2002
Hamburg, Germany
You claim that the 4 smaller Canadian teams could match the RFA. They could not because there was no money.

No he didn't. What he said was that those four teams could have matched an offer made in US-Dollars by offering the same amount of money in Canadian Dollars, with the league paying for the difference. Basically, the league would have paid parts of the salary. That has absolutely nothing to do with someone wanting to leave or even with the cap.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
You claim that the 4 smaller Canadian teams could match the RFA. They could not because there was no money.

You need to read my post one more time, this time pay more attention.

What I said was that during the pre-2004 CBA, if any US team gave an offer sheet to a RFA of those 4 canadian teams, they had the right to match that offer in canadian dollars. I did not say anything about whether they had the money to match nor whether they even wanted to match in all cases, only that they had the right to do it if they wanted.

Now if there were a cap in place, the team making the offer could be in a position where their ability to make a real offer is limited by the cap or that they don't even want to do that because in cap world you need your draft picks more.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2012/08/23/nhl_cba_thursday/

The meeting between the league and the NHL Players' Association lasted about 90 minutes.

They are either making incredible progress with such short meetings or they are about to give up. What's wrong with these people? It's summer, they have nothing else to do. Find a place, talk for 8 hours a day until it get resolved.

Per Fehr yesterday, they're heading to NYC (NHL offices) and will be meeting M-F next week (and beyond?).

These guys have lives. Although it looks like they aren't even trying.
No he didn't. What he said was that those four teams could have matched an offer made in US-Dollars by offering the same amount of money in Canadian Dollars, with the league paying for the difference. Basically, the league would have paid parts of the salary. That has absolutely nothing to do with someone wanting to leave or even with the cap.

You need to read my post one more time, this time pay more attention.

What I said was that during the pre-2004 CBA, if any US team gave an offer sheet to a RFA of those 4 canadian teams, they had the right to match that offer in canadian dollars. I did not say anything about whether they had the money to match nor whether they even wanted to match in all cases, only that they had the right to do it if they wanted.

Now if there were a cap in place, the team making the offer could be in a position where their ability to make a real offer is limited by the cap or that they don't even want to do that because in cap world you need your draft picks more.
Ok, got this.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Is it a bad or good sign that they keep cancelling or shortening their talks?

Seems to me like a bad sign. Since, if they were making progress, they'd be discussing points in finer details. If they're shutting down early, it looks like both sides are disconnected from each other, philosophies not even remotely identical.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad