GDT: #8 – Sabres at Kings – Thu Oct 23, 10:30PM ET – MSG-B, Bell TV – WGR

Ethan Edwards

Oct 30, 2013
PA
I thought he was always considered a 4th liner?
Opinions varied, but I think you're right. Regardless, the trade had very little to do with Deslauriers. It's based on how you value Hudson Fasching. In less than a season he went from a 4th or 5th round pick, I forget, to a 1st rounder IMO, in terms of worth. So far this season, only a couple games in, he's not disappointing, though we'll see if he keeps it up.
First of all, I was always high on McNabb so that colors my view on the trade of course. Secondly, we held McNabb out of the NHL for McBain, Weber and Tallinder, but he is good enough for the defending Stanley Cup Champions while we're dressing Benoit. Third, I'm not overly impressed by Deslauriers. I like the kid and I still hope he contribues, but right now he is not that impressive. Which leaves Fasching to cover a big gap value-wise, and I'm sorry but I don't have a lot of input on him, I've never seen him in action. If he develops into what we hope, then I'll re-think the trade and come to like it, but for now I don't. So far it's Sekera for McBain and a second rounder. Compher has a lot of gap to close, as does Fasching.

But again, if they close the gap, I'll change my mind. :)
I'm not sure how to respond since by your own admission you haven't seen Fasching play. That sort of derails this entire discussion and makes me wonder how you can possibly gauge this supposed gap. I've been witness to the talents up close, and Fasching is the real deal--a responsible power forward who can score--and continues to get better. You can only make that trade based on what you project for Fasching at the time and what we knew of McNabb. How it turns out later is a gamble, by definition, but based on those projections, Fasching trumps McNabb. I would've had no problem seeing McNabb in the Sabres line-up over the players you mentioned, but that doesn't change the scenario one bit. It's also pointless to keep mentioning Deslauriers in a straight comparison to McNabb. He has little to do with this trade. If you say that you've seen Fasching play and you think McNabb has the much brighter future, then that's different. I say fair enough, and we can walk away in happy disagreement.

Hudson Fasching is a scoring power forward who as a freshman on a national champ caliber team forced the hand of "Lucky" Lucia, his coach, into moving him up to the top line and giving him more and more TOI, where he thrived, positively developed, and helped lead the team to a title shot. People talk about earning this and earning that on here. That's precisely what Fasching did. On his own. McNabb may have been misused and underappreciated and all that, but he was given chances to overcome and force the hand of his coaches and the Sabres organization and he didn't. Not saying he "failed," but he didn't "wow" anybody either in his chances, whether in Buffalo or Rochester. And it's quite possible he played well enough to "earn" a steady Top 6 role on the big club and the Sabres blew it, but he never forced that decision to be made like Fasching did (different circumstances to be sure). Maybe now he'll thrive with the Kings and be great. I hope he does. Honestly. But how Fasching currently projects v. McNabb and two seconds? I'll make that trade every time.

driller1

Dry Island Reject
Feb 4, 2010
Keep in mind the 2 X 2nds were Kings picks that the Sabres got for Robyn Regehr.

One of the 2nd round picks turned out to be a #60 pick, so it was practically a 3rd rounder. As a Kings fan, I think the two picks are a bargain for Fasching. Wish he was in our system, but alas we can barely ice 6 d-men right now so happy to have McNabb.

Wisent42

Jan 9, 2012
Södertälje
Opinions varied, but I think you're right. Regardless, the trade had very little to do with Deslauriers. It's based on how you value Hudson Fasching. In less than a season he went from a 4th or 5th round pick, I forget, to a 1st rounder IMO, in terms of worth. So far this season, only a couple games in, he's not disappointing, though we'll see if he keeps it up.

I'm not sure how to respond since by your own admission you haven't seen Fasching play. That sort of derails this entire discussion and makes me wonder how you can possibly gauge this supposed gap. I've been witness to the talents up close, and Fasching is the real deal--a responsible power forward who can score--and continues to get better. You can only make that trade based on what you project for Fasching at the time and what we knew of McNabb. How it turns out later is a gamble, by definition, but based on those projections, Fasching trumps McNabb. I would've had no problem seeing McNabb in the Sabres line-up over the players you mentioned, but that doesn't change the scenario one bit. It's also pointless to keep mentioning Deslauriers in a straight comparison to McNabb. He has little to do with this trade. If you say that you've seen Fasching play and you think McNabb has the much brighter future, then that's different. I say fair enough, and we can walk away in happy disagreement.

Hudson Fasching is a scoring power forward who as a freshman on a national champ caliber team forced the hand of "Lucky" Lucia, his coach, into moving him up to the top line and giving him more and more TOI, where he thrived, positively developed, and helped lead the team to a title shot. People talk about earning this and earning that on here. That's precisely what Fasching did. On his own. McNabb may have been misused and underappreciated and all that, but he was given chances to overcome and force the hand of his coaches and the Sabres organization and he didn't. Not saying he "failed," but he didn't "wow" anybody either in his chances, whether in Buffalo or Rochester. And it's quite possible he played well enough to "earn" a steady Top 6 role on the big club and the Sabres blew it, but he never forced that decision to be made like Fasching did (different circumstances to be sure). Maybe now he'll thrive with the Kings and be great. I hope he does. Honestly. But how Fasching currently projects v. McNabb and two seconds? I'll make that trade every time.

Yes, I admit I haven't seen Fasching play, and yes, that kind of makes my opinion about that trade pretty irrelevant. That is all true. I also said that my opinion is based a lot on the fact that I really liked McNabb. So I'm not going to defend my opinion since it is not based on insight. What I did say, and that is why Deslauriers is still interesting in this discussion, is that I'm going to hate seeing how much better McNabb is compared to him. In a couple of years, when Fasching makes McNabb look like a fool, I'll be a happy camper again. :)

I also understand that there is value there, and further more that McNabb was kind of stuck in a logjam. All the logic is there. It all comes down to me not wanting to give up on McNabb, that's all.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Blake Wheeler, born 1986-08-31, 2004 1st (5th overall):
'05-'06 (draft+2), freshman, Minnesota:
39 GP, 09 G, 14 A, 23 P, 0.59 PPG
'06-'07 (draft+3), sophomore, Minnesota:
44 GP, 18 G, 20 A, 38 P, 0.87 PPG

Chris Kreider, born 1991-04-30, 2009 1st (19th overall):
'09-'10 (draft+1), freshman, Boston College:
38 GP, 15 G, 08 A, 23 P, 0.61 PPG
'10-'11 (draft+2), sophomore, Boston College:
32 GP, 11 G, 13 A, 24 P, 0.75 PPG

Hudson Fasching, born 1995-07-28, 2013 4th (118th overall):
'13-'14 (draft+1), freshman, Minnesota:
40 GP, 14 G, 16 A, 30 P, 0.75 PPG

If anyone has anyone else worth comparing, good or bad, let me know, but those are two of the better big-bodied NCAA wingers I can think of. Both were 1sts, like Hudson was once projected to be. Hudson, as a freshman in his post-draft season, out-produced Kreider in the same circumstances, and Wheeler who spent his post-draft season in the USHL before his freshman year. I'm not saying Fasching is gonna be as good or better than those guys as goal scorers, but he has the ability to score goals, set up plays, retrieve and protect pucks, take the body, and play defense. I think he should be worth a late 1st in value.

Baccus

Garage League filled with Mickey Mouse teams
Feb 18, 2014
Didn't Deslauriers have some long looks on the 2nd and 3rd last season? After Moulson was swapped from Hodgson to Ennis.

Yes, but that was more to do with a ton of injuries on the team. He's not playing as well as he did at the end of last season, but he's fine as a big body for the 4th line, especially at this point of the team's rebuild.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
How far Richards has fallen since the first Kings cup...

He came to camp in great shape this year, so far has played LW on the 1st line for a few games and also centered th 3rd line. Sutter switches things up ALOT.

RIchards average ice time this year is about 16 min. per game. Sutter like to keep the lines with close TOI , he feels in a long season it keeps them fresher and coming off 3 years when they deep in the playoffs, he may have a point.

Richards has been very solid for the Kings this year, lots of energy and hustle.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
He came to camp in great shape this year, so far has played LW on the 1st line for a few games and also centered th 3rd line. Sutter switches things up ALOT.

RIchards average ice time this year is about 16 min. per game. Sutter like to keep the lines with close TOI , he feels in a long season it keeps them fresher and coming off 3 years when they deep in the playoffs, he may have a point.

Richards has been very solid for the Kings this year, lots of energy and hustle.

He's looked pretty good to me. Not at his best but a whole lot better than the bulk of last year.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Richards is 8th among LA forwards in ES TOI/GP, 6th in SH TOI/GP, 4th in PP TOI/GP, and 7th in Total TOI/GP.

And basically all the LA forwards not named Pearson, Toffoli, and Carter are off to a slow start offensively.

ForsakenSabre

Save Us MIttelstadt
Jan 31, 2013
Buffalo
One of the posters in the prospects forum posted that Zads agent said he was playing tonight. Has there been any conformation of this?

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Paul Hamilton ‏@pham1717 7m7 minutes ago

Nolan is going with 7 D. Zadorov is in for Reinhart.

Look at Nolan being all cautious ... lol

He played 7 games last year and was 10 times better then those two guys you refer as your "top 4" defensemen.

Whatever. Bout damn time.

omglolnub

Jun 21, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
I thought about going tonight, cause it's the only game in LA, but I can't watch this terrible team get routed with all the arrogant bandwagon Kings fans at the Staples center. At least at home, I can turn off the game and do something productive once the game is "over."

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
I thought about going tonight, cause it's the only game in LA, but I can't watch this terrible team get routed with all the arrogant bandwagon Kings fans at the Staples center. At least at home, I can turn off the game and do something productive once the game is "over."

So you're not going to turn the game on at all, then? :laugh:

AmerksPuck

Nov 3, 2012
Dollars to donuts Zadorov is used as the 7th defenseman and gets maybe 8 min of total ice time.

They couldn't have scratched one of their awful D and dressed Flynn up front? Waive him already.

This has TM calling the shots all over it, i'm convinced it is not Nolan's call.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
They couldn't have scratched one of their awful D and dressed Flynn up front? Waive him already.

This has TM calling the shots all over it, i'm convinced it is not Nolan's call.

Murray may have said Nolan can play him. But going with 7dmen and sitting Reinhart I would have to think is Nolan's call not Murray's.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad