Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
hfb18_gdt_lak00_gp.png

BUF (1-6-0) at LAK (4-1-1) – THU OCT 23, 10:30PM ET – MSG-B, BELL TVWGRCHAT

Gameday Headlines

Game Preview: 10/23/14 at LAK – Ian Ott, Sabres PR

Sabres-Kings Preview – STATS Writer, AP

Sabres try to end offensive woes vs. Kings – NHL.com

Kings' Voynov case gets request for follow-up from D.A.'s office – Lisa Dillman, LA Times

Myers stays focused on team goals – John Vogl, TBN

Zadorov in; Nolan to coach against his son – Chris Ryndak, Sabres.com

Previous Headlines

Jordan, Ted Nolan to face each other for first time – Jon Rosen, LA Kings Insider

Evolving usage for McNabb, who faces his former team – Jon Rosen, LA Kings Insider

Sabres find the net but wins remain elusive – John Vogl, TBN

Sabres come within striking distance but Ducks pull away – Chris Ryndak, NHL.com​
hfb18_tn.png

BUFFALO SABRES

Projected Lineup

26 Matt Moulson – 63 Tyler Ennis – 12 Brian Gionta
82 Marcus Foligno – 19 Cody Hodgson – 80 Chris Stewart
17 Torrey Mitchell – 28 Zemgus Girgensons – 21 Drew Stafford
44 Nicolas Deslauriers – 8 Cody McCormick
x: 23 Sam Reinhart, 65 Brian Flynn

4 Josh Gorges – 57 Tyler Myers
6 Mike Weber – 41 Andrej Meszaros
61 Andre Benoit – 55 Rasmus Ristolainen
51 Nikita Zadorov
x: 24 Tyson Strachan

1 Jhonas Enroth
34 Michal Neuvirth

Lineup News & Notes

Matt Hackett (knee) and Patrick Kaleta (face) remain on injured reserve, but Kaleta's been skating
in a non-contact jersey.

According to the Stats

Buffalo has won three of the last four meetings with the Kings.​
hfb18_on.png

LOS ANGELES KINGS

Projected Lineup

74 Dwight King – 11 Anze Kopitar – 23 Dustin Brown
70 Tanner Pearson – 77 Jeff Carter – 73 Tyler Toffoli
15 Andy Andreoff – 28 Jarret Stoll – 14 Justin Williams
13 Kyle Clifford – 10 Mike Richards – 71 Jordan Nolan
x: 12 Marian Gaborik, 22 Trevor Lewis

6 Jake Muzzin – 8 Drew Doughty
44 Robyn Regehr – 27 Alec Martinez
3 Brayden McNabb – 2 Matt Greene
x: 26 Slava Voynov

32 Jonathan Quick
31 Martin Jones

Lineup News & Notes

Marian Gaborik (UBI) and Trevor Lewis (MBI) are nursing day-to-day injuries, while Jake Muzzin (UBI)
will return to the Kings lineup after a six-game absence.

According to the Stats

Jonathan Quick, who has won all three of his starts on this homestand with a 0.65 GAA, is likely to
get the start again. He's 3-0-0 with a 1.69 GAA in four career starts against the Sabres.​
hfb18_mm.png

NHL VIDEOCENTER

Buffalo Sabres
(for the latest videos, visit what's new)

[NHL]651259[/NHL]

[NHL]651263[/NHL]

Los Angeles Kings (for the latest videos, visit what's new)

[NHL]651266[/NHL]​

Last edited:

oldgoalie

Goaltending matters.
Jan 7, 2004
VA
I only watched the first period last night. Sabres couldn't get out of their own way.
This game is going to be ugly.

Wisent42

Jan 9, 2012
Södertälje
I'm gonna hate how much better McNabb will be compared to Deslauriers. I din't like that trade, and I still don't. Fasching better be amazing.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
I'm gonna hate how much better McNabb will be compared to Deslauriers. I din't like that trade, and I still don't. Fasching better be amazing.

I've started to think about this lately.

I was also thinking that McNabb would be better than Benoit or Mes right now.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
How far Richards has fallen since the first Kings cup...

Richards evidently didn't come to camp in shape at all last year. He had an interview on NHL live where he talked about how he'd "Forgotten" what it takes to be in the NHL and its a privilege, and the GM stopped by his house unannounced to check on him, etc.

And to be fair, Clifford and Nolan aren't exactly 4th liners either.

Definitely think there's some tread left on the tire there, part of the issue is that the Kings are just so damn deep.

Mike Richards would probably be our #1 center immediately.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore

If Fasching turns out to be the best player in the deal, then I think you have to call the trade a win.

Ethan Edwards

Oct 30, 2013
PA
You don't like that trade? This is a head-scratcher for me. First off, Fasching is pretty amazing right now (Big 10 Conference 1st star last week) and projects to be much better, IMO, at the pro level than McNabb, who has found a nice niche with the Kings right now and fits in well there (especially with Voynov out). But we know what we had with McNabb. No mysteries there, good or bad. Projections may fail and Fasching may royally flame out in time, but based on the available info at the time of the trade, this was a no-brainer. This kid was fantastic last year, his freshman campaign, and he's picked up right where he left off--a top sniper on a national championship caliber team. What's not to like about that deal?

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
I have a minor hunch tonight might be Reinhart's breakthrough.

The only reasonable downside of the Fasching deal was two second rounders. There is some burden for Fasching to make it based on that price. If he's a top six power forward someday, or even an elite third line winger, that's easily a win for us, but he's got to get there.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
You don't like that trade? This is a head-scratcher for me. First off, Fasching is pretty amazing right now (Big 10 Conference 1st star last week) and projects to be much better, IMO, at the pro level than McNabb, who has found a nice niche with the Kings right now and fits in well there (especially with Voynov out). But we know what we had with McNabb. No mysteries there, good or bad. Projections may fail and Fasching may royally flame out in time, but based on the available info at the time of the trade, this was a no-brainer. This kid was fantastic last year, his freshman campaign, and he's picked up right where he left off--a top sniper on a national championship caliber team. What's not to like about that deal?

It was the first trade of hopefully quite a few, where Murray used the ridiculous cache of assets we have to overpay for a player that HE covets and believes will be part of the solution. But, it can't be denied, from a value standpoint, it was overpayment.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Other than Quick, and the Pearson/Carter/Toffoli line, the Kings haven't been playing particularity well. I think this game will be closer than most of you expect. The Voynov thing could be a distraction as well.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Hey, maybe I can watch this one. I'm hoping my internet issues are resovled by the time of puck drop.

Disengage

Nov 11, 2007
Other than Quick, and the Pearson/Carter/Toffoli line, the Kings haven't been playing particularity well. I think this game will be closer than most of you expect. The Voynov thing could be a distraction as well.

Oh, you mean That 70s Line?

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY

Oh that's cute. You have no idea what the level of "not playing well" is :biglaugh:

The Kings can put Brown, Kopitar, Quick, Doughty, Carter and Gaborik in the pressbox tonight

4-1 Kings

Wisent42

Jan 9, 2012
Södertälje

First of all, I was always high on McNabb so that colors my view on the trade of course. Secondly, we held McNabb out of the NHL for McBain, Weber and Tallinder, but he is good enough for the defending Stanley Cup Champions while we're dressing Benoit. Third, I'm not overly impressed by Deslauriers. I like the kid and I still hope he contribues, but right now he is not that impressive. Which leaves Fasching to cover a big gap value-wise, and I'm sorry but I don't have a lot of input on him, I've never seen him in action. If he develops into what we hope, then I'll re-think the trade and come to like it, but for now I don't. So far it's Sekera for McBain and a second rounder. Compher has a lot of gap to close, as does Fasching.

But again, if they close the gap, I'll change my mind. :)

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Oh that's cute. You have no idea what the level of "not playing well" is :biglaugh:

The Kings can put Brown, Kopitar, Quick, Doughty, Carter and Gaborik in the pressbox tonight

4-1 Kings

The Sabres were 1-1-0 against the Kings last year. Both close games. I don't see why this time around would be that much different.

Unlike the Ducks, LA isn't that great of a regular season team.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Regarding the convo on the trade, the bloom's off Deslauriers. He's probably a fourth liner at best going forward. I'd rather have McNabb than him but I don't think he's all too likely to be more than a bottom-pairing guy either. Two late 2nd's for Fasching is still good, if a high price, in my book. I still do the trade, which was never a great value trade to begin with. It'd be nice if Deslauriers showed some ability to score a bit.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Regarding the convo on the trade, the bloom's off Deslauriers. He's probably a fourth liner at best going forward. I'd rather have McNabb than him but I don't think he's all too likely to be more than a bottom-pairing guy either. Two late 2nd's for Fasching is still good, if a high price, in my book. I still do the trade, which was never a great value trade to begin with. It'd be nice if Deslauriers showed some ability to score a bit.

I thought he was always considered a 4th liner?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad