News Article: 7th Round Pick Mackenzie Weegar Could Prove to be Draft Day Steal for Panthers

Status
Not open for further replies.

coopdaloop123

Mar 11, 2013
FL
Expect Josh Brown in the future as well. Really happy that Weegar is making the jump just a year after being drafted, he's been an absolute beast in the QMJHL. Some time in the AHL should help his defense a lot and also give him more experience running powerplays.

JP Mick

Sep 24, 2008
Homestead, FL
Expect Josh Brown in the future as well. Really happy that Weegar is making the jump just a year after being drafted, he's been an absolute beast in the QMJHL. Some time in the AHL should help his defense a lot and also give him more experience running powerplays.

Didn't he get passed over twice in the draft? I'm sure he can't wait to turn pro!

coopdaloop123

Mar 11, 2013
FL
Didn't he get passed over twice in the draft? I'm sure he can't wait to turn pro!

Passed over in the OHL draft twice AND the NHL draft. A few scouts I've talked to say Weegar would be a top 15 pick if he were in this year's draft.

I've seen a few ppl on twitter saying this signing isn't a big deal, but even if Weegar only ever becomes a very good AHL D-Man, it's still a steal w/ a 7th round pick. I've had high hopes for the kid for a while and his story is great. Very hard worker and look forward to see what he can do in the pros.

Juggernaut27

#CatsHasCupNow?
Apr 29, 2014
Vancouver
Passed over in the OHL draft twice AND the NHL draft. A few scouts I've talked to say Weegar would be a top 15 pick if he were in this year's draft.

I've seen a few ppl on twitter saying this signing isn't a big deal, but even if Weegar only ever becomes a very good AHL D-Man, it's still a steal w/ a 7th round pick. I've had high hopes for the kid for a while and his story is great. Very hard worker and look forward to see what he can do in the pros.

The Q isn't my area. Aside from the fact that any 7th round pick who plays any pro hockey in North America is a success, could someone maybe explain how the hell a 200 pound, 5'10, high-scoring, North American defensman on a championship team BARELY managed to get drafted in his second year of eligibility?

I know there are a ton of players out there but I'm watching tape and reading articles and I can't find anything that would make him drop. He seems like he was already ranked too low and then he fell from there.

Either which way. Awesome drafting to snap him up with such a late pick. Campbell's protege? That's a tall order, I know...

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
The Q isn't my area. Aside from the fact that any 7th round pick who plays any pro hockey in North America is a success, could someone maybe explain how the hell a 200 pound, 5'10, high-scoring, North American defensman on a championship team BARELY managed to get drafted in his second year of eligibility?

I know there are a ton of players out there but I'm watching tape and reading articles and I can't find anything that would make him drop. He seems like he was already ranked too low and then he fell from there.

Either which way. Awesome drafting to snap him up with such a late pick. Campbell's protege? That's a tall order, I know...

I think his skating, for one was an issue.

Matheson seems to be more to be like Campbell than Weegar.

coopdaloop123

Mar 11, 2013
FL
I think his skating, for one was an issue.

Matheson seems to be more to be like Campbell than Weegar.

Matheson is definitely the guy to watch more than Weegar, but the fact that Weegar could even become an offensively minded 5-6 guy is fantastic for a 7th rounder. Great locker room guy too.

x Karlsson x 65

Taste the Rainbow
Apr 21, 2014
Moncton

Did you see the team he was on. heck, even the waterboy destroyed.

Crossbar

Apr 29, 2003
48" above the ice

Dan Boyle went undrafted at a time when there were 9 rounds, NINE ROUNDS! Jason Garrison is another passed by everyone and he actually had decent size....d-men are hard to predict, Weegar has a good shot at becoming an NHLer.

Juggernaut27

#CatsHasCupNow?
Apr 29, 2014
Vancouver
Dan Boyle went undrafted at a time when there were 9 rounds, NINE ROUNDS! Jason Garrison is another passed by everyone and he actually had decent size....d-men are hard to predict, Weegar has a good shot at becoming an NHLer.

Can't argue with that. But neither of those guys were in the CHL which makes it slightly easier to understand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad