News Article: 7th Round Pick Mackenzie Weegar Could Prove to be Draft Day Steal for Panthers

Status
Not open for further replies.

coopdaloop123

Mar 11, 2013
FL
Anyone who followed d-camp/rookie camp/training camp should have noticed defenseman Mackenzie Weegar. An undersize offensive d-man from the Memorial Cup champion Halifax Mooseheads. As camp went on you could really tell that both coaches and management really started to take a liking to the kid and given how he looked / could look I honestly wouldn't be surprised if he was a 5-6th d-man in 2-3 years.

http://pantherparkway.com/2013/09/2...uld-prove-to-be-draft-day-steal-for-panthers/

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
Not to be too critical, but the style of the article is far too happy fluff (for me). The problem with far too many sports journalists is that they see something they like in a tiny sample size and project it to be the truth, or the near truth. Excluding the fact that the article is pretty hyperbolic (The first line hath foreshadowing powers!) the last sentence seems absolute bizarre to me. Yes, we don't know and yes we still don't know ... because the draft was a 3 month old baby ago. I'm a cynical ol chewer camouflaging himself in a younger mans body yes, but oh how i long for feel good injection to be replaced by conservative realism in sports journalism.

Don't get me wrong, your articles are most welcome and provide information and are greatly recieved, and Weegar is a prospect of interest to follow, but it really does excel in the hyperbole machine.

coopdaloop123

Mar 11, 2013
FL
Not to be too critical, but the style of the article is far too happy fluff (for me). The problem with far too many sports journalists is that they see something they like in a tiny sample size and project it to be the truth, or the near truth. Excluding the fact that the article is pretty hyperbolic (The first line hath foreshadowing powers!) the last sentence seems absolute bizarre to me. Yes, we don't know and yes we still don't know ... because the draft was a 3 month old baby ago. I'm a cynical ol chewer camouflaging himself in a younger mans body yes, but oh how i long for feel good injection to be replaced by conservative realism in sports journalism.

Don't get me wrong, your articles are most welcome and provide information and are greatly recieved, and Weegar is a prospect of interest to follow, but it really does excel in the hyperbole machine.

Thanks for reading, with all the young guys I try to paint a positive picture for the future and it's what makes the story worth writing. For a guy like Weegar I didn't say that he's going to be amazing, but just pointed out that given where he's come from it's amazing how great of a showing he had at camp. Everyone around the organization has taken a liking to him and Dineen even cracked a smile when talking about him. I didn't mean to paint too optimistic a picture, but rather just shine a light on a guy who played beyond his draft selection and may keep improving in the future. Critiques are always appreciated though.

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
Thanks for reading, with all the young guys I try to paint a positive picture for the future and it's what makes the story worth writing. For a guy like Weegar I didn't say that he's going to be amazing, but just pointed out that given where he's come from it's amazing how great of a showing he had at camp. Everyone around the organization has taken a liking to him and Dineen even cracked a smile when talking about him. I didn't mean to paint too optimistic a picture, but rather just shine a light on a guy who played beyond his draft selection and may keep improving in the future. Critiques are always appreciated though.

The article is definitely not presented in an angle i think is particularly reasonable and falls into the same trap that i think many sports writers descend into. Though i also happen to think most sports fans are lunatics ;)

Still, your coverage is definitely positive and it is great to have you on HFboards (more popular than me!). Thanks for the professional response too. No need for quote wars.

coopdaloop123

Mar 11, 2013
FL
The article is definitely not presented in an angle i think is particularly reasonable and falls into the same trap that i think many sports writers descend into. Though i also happen to think most sports fans are lunatics ;)

Still, your coverage is definitely positive and it is great to have you on HFboards (more popular than me!). Thanks for the professional response too. No need for quote wars.

Thanks, we can revisit this post next season if Weegar makes the Rampage haha.

IceManCat

#TheFloridaPanthers
Jul 13, 2006
The Rat Den

As usual, trying to garner attention while passing asinine opinions as facts. The author did not make any outlandish projections at all. The guy had a nice write up, positive or negative evaluation doesn't matter. Their were facts within the piece and quotes from the head coach supporting his point of view. He chose to portray the player's positive attributes and uphill battle so far. Nothing in that article states he will be a Norris contender nor did he insinuate anything along those lines.

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
Nice read. Being so cynical myself it's always good to read articles like this :)

coopdaloop123

Mar 11, 2013
FL
Nice read. Being so cynical myself it's always good to read articles like this :)

Coaches were high on both Josh Brown and Weegar toward the end of camp .... Brown has better size, but Weegar has more skill. Keep an eye on them both though.

Brandel*

Well, he has definitely had a great start to the season in Halifax. Something like 15 pts in 17 games IIRC. Wish the Wings would have taken him.

hockeydude1

#CatsAreComing
Mar 9, 2008
Florida
For a 7th round, you can't really complain. Worst case, he's a bust and he was 7th round anyways. Good pickup for now. We will wait and see though in the coming future for sure.

Ghoste

#JustGetIn
Sponsor
Sep 14, 2005
San Diego, CA
Yeah, with being a 7th rounder, even if he only ends up being an injury call-up kind of player I'd consider it a nice pick. But I really think he could end up being at least a serviceable NHLer. And I've only read props being given by Halifax fans.

-ghoste

behemolari

Dec 1, 2011
He was injured during a fight in tonight's game and was helped off the ice by teammates, putting no weight at all on his right leg. He didn't return.

A long-term injury to him would be absolutely catastrophic for the Mooseheads.

how can one hurt his leg on fight, what the hell are you playing there! karate?

Roz

Jul 2, 2013
NS
I was only listening to the radio call so I can't really say. The Mooseheads just tweeted that it's a possible ankle sprain. So not good, certainly, but not nearly as bad as it initially seemed.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Hey Coop,

You should do a writeup for Chris Clapperton. He's a decent story too going undrafted in 2012. We draft him 2013 at 122nd in 5th round when he wasn't even scouted in the top 200 from Central scouting. I always love the underdog story, nice work on this article by the way.

His numbers speak for themselves when considering his 5'9 162lbs frame. I'm not saying he's a lock for the NHL just yet but in his 3rd season in the Q he's started with 23pts in 13 games so far this season. 155pts in 136 games in pretty eye opening for me.

If the kid can gain 15-20lbs in the next 2-3 years, he's a guy to keep an eye on.

coopdaloop123

Mar 11, 2013
FL
Hey Coop,

You should do a writeup for Chris Clapperton. He's a decent story too going undrafted in 2012. We draft him 2013 at 122nd in 5th round when he wasn't even scouted in the top 200 from Central scouting. I always love the underdog story, nice work on this article by the way.

His numbers speak for themselves when considering his 5'9 162lbs frame. I'm not saying he's a lock for the NHL just yet but in his 3rd season in the Q he's started with 23pts in 13 games so far this season. 155pts in 136 games in pretty eye opening for me.

If the kid can gain 15-20lbs in the next 2-3 years, he's a guy to keep an eye on.

Loved Clapperton at D-Camp/Rookie Camp, he's the kind of guy who plays scrimmages and drills like they are Game 7 of the Stanley Cup finals, love his intensity. I was going to do and update on him, but Paige added him to her list of top prospects and we didn't wanna overdo it. Hopefully I can write about him being a QMJHL MVP candidate later on!

AmericanJedi

May 26, 2007
Burlington, VT

jeeze, man. I don't think you were called out enough for this. Way too critical. I think ya need to be kicked in the face by a kangaroo. Show some love.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad