Prospect Info: 7th overall: Vancouver selects Quinn Hughes (D, University of Michigan)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShouldveDraftedFiala

Feb 20, 2007
Interesting to see comments saying they like to swing for the fences and take the guy with the highest ceiling, when Boqvist wouldve been just that.

Hughes' lack of a shot is concerning. Dont think he'll ever turn into a #1 because of it, but his skating is superb. And I was impressed with his play at the Wold Cup playing amoungst NHLers. He may be ready next year.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
I will never criticise my team for going with skill over safety in the draft. I much prefer the Canucks' drafting the last two seasons. This is another pick with Brackett's hands all over it. I am very fine with this pick. Zadina would have been nice, but I understand why they picked Hughes and it makes sense. I just can't find a way to dislike this one. The game is changing, and he's the exact type of d-man that is going to excel in the NHL for a long time.

Last edited:

Elias Pettersson

I'm not a troll
Jan 22, 2014
Is this the first time HF Canucks has unanimously liked a Benning first round pick on the day of the draft?

clay

Aug 25, 2005
Vancouver
Don't like the pick. He's too small and I don't like that he didn't participate in the combine. Would have rather picked Dobson, Smith, Boqvist, or Bouchard. That said, he's obviously very skilled and I'll root for him. I hope I'm proven wrong.

Reactions: geebaan

Bobby Digital

Jun 15, 2006
I will never criticise my team for going with skill over safety in the draft. I much prefer the Canucks' drafting the last two seasons. This is another pick with Brackett's hands all over it. I am very fine with this pick. Zadina would have been nice, but I understand why they picked Hughes and it makes sense. I just can't find a way dislike this one. The game is changing, and he's the exact type of d-man that is going to excel in the NHL for a long time.

Like you said the NHL is moving towards speed and skill.

It reminds me of the NFL a few years ago. Seattle really changed the game with their defense and now you see both their coaches go off to other teams and build two of the best up and coming defense (ATL & Jack) around the same philosophy.

Quinn Hughes is the perfect dman for where the game is going. Elite skating, skill and IQ. Almost no way he busts with those attributes while providing huge upside.

Love the pick.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
Another note: If this kid makes the NHL in the next two years, Tanev would be the perfect partner for him. I'd like to get assets for him, but Tanev would do great things for this kid on the ice.

ShouldveDraftedFiala

Feb 20, 2007
I just see his ceiling as Ryan Ellis. A great 2nd pairing PP quarterback. Dobson has Seth Jones potential. A little disappointing, but I hope he works out and it could've been worse.

Reactions: biturbo19

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Who else is suuiuuuuuuuper stocked!!!!!

HHHHHHIUUUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHEHEEEEEESSSSSSSS

Reactions: theoriginalBCF

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014