GDT: #79 - Blue Jackets vs. Sabres at 6 PM ET on MSG-B and WGR

toomuchsauce

Jan 7, 2015
The way this team is currently playing is so strange. They are controlling shot attempts, and yet, completely embarrassing themselves.

I guess some of that is goaltending, but...(eye test!) they look so bad. All of their shots are unscreened from distance or just throwing it at the goalie from the corners. They generate absolutely no quality scoring chances.

How is this even possible? Any random team just playing out the stretch will get some 2-on-1s, some shots from the slot, etc. Like, almost without trying. The game of hockey is like that. Even bad teams generate chances...especially in meaningless games....

AND YET...the Sabres...they just...have none of it. What even.... How?

Reactions: Rasmi and Tatre

toomuchsauce

Jan 7, 2015
The way this team is currently playing is so strange. They are controlling shot attempts, and yet, completely embarrassing themselves.

I guess some of that is goaltending, but...(eye test!) they look so bad. All of their shots are unscreened from distance or just throwing it at the goalie from the corners. They generate absolutely no quality scoring chances.

How is this even possible? Any random team just playing out the stretch will get some 2-on-1s, some shots from the slot, etc. Like, almost without trying. The game of hockey is like that. Even bad teams generate chances...especially in meaningless games....

Would anyone say that the Sabres legitimately threatened to score a goal at any point tonight?

MagnumForce2

Dec 16, 2011
Would anyone say that the Sabres legitimately threatened to score a goal at any point tonight?
When Olofsson took a shot and Jack got the rebound or it bounced off the boards....it was the one where Bob's helmet fell off...but other than that...I don't remember any of too much significance.

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012

There's seriously something in the water with this team... They have seemingly lost their ability to even play NHL level hockey, like everyone on the team has some sort of mental block. It's like they have to go absolutely 100% just to keep up with other teams' base level play. It's just bizarre to watch lately...

CrazyPsycho

Elite Drafter
Sep 25, 2003

ERod had the best chance, had a little toedrag on Werenski and got a decent shot in front

Hes the only Sabre that consistently heads for the scoring areas besides maybe Dahlin when he attacks

Reactions: MagnumForce2

CrazyPsycho

Elite Drafter
Sep 25, 2003
I remember arguing that the Canes were gonna pass us when the Sabres were fighting for the WildCard. They are 21!!!!! pts ahead....thats absurd

Bisons6

Mar 31, 2019
Speechless...TP is ultimate problem; buys team-turns over to wife as a plaything. What are Kim's qualifications to be president of an NHL team? Something really off there. It's an embarrassment and we're again the butt of an international joke. These are not the acts of a shrewd, self-made billionaire. And he (or/and Kim) picked an obscure cap guy with no track-record who's claim to fame was selection in the Hockey News top 100 influential when he was riding the coattails of the Pens cup run.

6th round pick for 7th? Last years international draft choices? (5'8" of timidity and unproven talent). LaFontaine incident, which gave us the gift of T. Murray, who dismantled this team and set us back for years---while the owner sat back and watched it being done year after year. They fire Lafontaine and retain his TM hire?... Common. WE ARE ENTITLED TO A FRIGGING EXPLANATION of ALL of this and no media ever got one, no insider ever gave one. And we are left with this product on the ice. Phousley was a TERRIBLE hire for many reasons. Set us bhack two more years. But JB hired PH. JB was never more than a "cap geek" with Pens. As gm for us, his old buddies come to him for salary dumps and one-sided trades. I'm all over the place. I'll stop. See what they've done to me?

ForsbergMoDo21

Feb 19, 2008
Rochester NY
I wish I could find this clip or meme but I can’t. I’m thinking of the scene from the first Mighty Ducks when Connie is explaining to Bombay the state of the team.

“One game was really close. We only lost by five—and we almost scored a goal!”

toomuchsauce

Jan 7, 2015
Not to harp on this, but, like, tonight Brett Howden passed a puck to Ryan Strome, who buried his head, leaned on his stick, shot the puck, and scored. How is it possible that none of the Buffalo Sabres can do that? How is this possible?

CrazyPsycho

Elite Drafter
Sep 25, 2003
Not to harp on this, but, like, tonight Brett Howden passed a puck to Ryan Strome, who buried his head, leaned on his stick, shot the puck, and scored. How is it possible that none of the Buffalo Sabres can do that? How is this possible?

They don't care to try

When was the last bodycheck they threw with intentions?

Reactions: DJN21

toomuchsauce

Jan 7, 2015

Just a thought for the GM and the coaches: maybe stop relying on the "regroup, regroup, regroup, regroup, give the puck to Eichel, have him carry it into the offensive zone, float a backhand sauce into 4 defenders, bust his ass back, barely break up an odd-man rush, regroup, regroup, regroup, give it back to Eichel, have him carry it into 4 defenders, take it wide into the corner on his backhand, lose it, throw his head back like he's been shot by a sniper, roll his eyes, coast to the bench while the other team gets a scoring chance." It's not really working.

Reactions: Ralonzo

MagnumForce2

Dec 16, 2011
ERod had the best chance, had a little toedrag on Werenski and got a decent shot in front

Hes the only Sabre that consistently heads for the scoring areas besides maybe Dahlin when he attacks
Ok I remember that one now...made a nice move with a toe drag through the D...if I am not mistaken

Reactions: CrazyPsycho

Royisgone

Mar 7, 2012
No "GBU" thread tonight, huh?

It's like the tank years. Why bother.

What a f-ing train wreck.

Willgamesh

Jan 31, 2019
I wish I could find this clip or meme but I can’t. I’m thinking of the scene from the first Mighty Ducks when Connie is explaining to Bombay the state of the team.

“One game was really close. We only lost by five—and we almost scored a goal!”
You could have also used the horse shit brownie to describe our team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad