Post-Game Talk: #78 | FLYERS 2 at Avalanche 1 | Wed., Mar. 28, 2018, 10:00 pm ET

JXC

#ThisAintXbox #ThisAintMightyDucks #FireHakstol
Dec 28, 2005
True or false: TK has a vested interest in staying on the coach's good side
Immaterial.

He wasn’t asked about the coach, he wasn’t asked about system.

He offered the opinion all on his own.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Don't roll out the 4th line when your best line comes off the ice. The reason the fourth line is out there for so long is none of them are capable of moving the puck. Those players are not "safe". Try your second or third line first. Hell, if you have issues with the defensive responsibility of some of them, mix and match if need be.
Well, I've already thoroughly addressed that point, so I won't repeat it.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
Tell me we don't have anyone better than Lehtera, Manning and MacDonald in our system. Say it without lying.
I've already given my answer to that. And, btw, if that's your opinion, your beef should be with Hextall, not Hakstol.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
Do you acknowledge that it is in players' interest to praise the guy controlling their ice time?
But it's a logical fallacy to assume just because it's in a player's interest to praise his coach, that it definitely means his praise is disingenuous. Do you acknowledge that?

Reactions: JXC

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
It's an infestation now. Excellent.

dOB6LyO.gif

FlyersMania2

#FireHakstol
Jul 4, 2007
NJ
But it's a logical fallacy to assume just because it's in a player's interest to praise his coach, that it definitely means his praise is disingenuous. Do you acknowledge that?

But why is this a hot button topic for you guys?

How about we make this easy:

Do you want to keep your job? Or, need to keep your job?

If you answered yes to either of these questions you don't insult your boss.

CLOSED.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

I never claimed the praise is automatically false, did I?

My point is that pointing to player praise as some final word or grand authority is a bad idea, because even if a player despises a coach it's decidedly against their interest to do anything but praise.

The Rage Kage

Apr 21, 2014
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA
Playing hockey/being good at does not make him more knowledgeable about what makes a good coach. Otherwise Gretzky would have been the best coach ever.

Thats not to say he doesnt know what makes a good coach, but you cant just use a quote of his (which is typical hockey player bs) and say he is right and we are wrong. The only reason his opinion holds any weight to you is because he himself can play hockey and as we know because of Gretzky playing skills do not neccesarily translate to coaching skills.

But thats fine, keep laughing and making a fool out of yourself, I'm sure you're having fun.

CSKA1974

Feb 10, 2010
Flyerville
a) But why is this a hot button topic for you guys?

b)If you answered yes to either of these questions you don't insult your boss.

c)CLOSED.

a) it's not.
b) not insulting and praising is slightly different. But again, neither one of us is in TK's head, so we might as well stop speculating
c)Agreed, because prolonging this discussion will not yield anything. As I stated many posts below, we will have to agree to disagree.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
But why is this a hot button topic for you guys?

If you answered yes to either of these questions you don't insult your boss.

CLOSED.

Not closed. He wasn't asked anything about his coach. What he said was spontaneous, without prompting. It's at least as likely he really meant it as it is that he was trying to butter up his coach for more playing time. He didn't have to say anything at all about the coach because he wasn't asked.

I never claimed the praise is automatically false, did I?

My point is that pointing to player praise as some final word or grand authority is a bad idea, because even if a player despises a coach it's decidedly against their interest to do anything but praise.

It sure seems like a lot of people want to completely disregard any possibility that, you know, Konecny might have meant what he said. As for your point that it's against their interest to do anything but praise, see what I wrote above.

I know that "fan" is short for "fanatic," but it really is fascinating how fans are drawn to all-or-nothing extremes when it comes to evaluating teams, players, and coaches. It's just like politics, which is why I posted this article the other day (it's a great read): "Motivated ignorance" is ruining our political discourse

Sometimes there is a middle ground with things. And people want to label me a "Hakstol lover" simply because I take a middle ground with him and don't bash him across the board. It's because of the human psychological element of wanting to paint anything that doesn't 100% correlate with your own opinions as, essentially, evil.

CSKA1974

Feb 10, 2010
Flyerville
Not closed. He wasn't asked anything about his coach. What he said was spontaneous, without prompting. It's at least as likely he really meant it as it is that he was trying to butter up his coach for more playing time. He didn't have to say anything at all about the coach because he wasn't asked.

It sure seems like a lot of people want to completely disregard any possibility that, you know, Konecny might have meant what he said. As for your point that it's against their interest to do anything but praise, see what I wrote above.

I know that "fan" is short for "fanatic," but it really is fascinating how fans are drawn to all-or-nothing extremes when it comes to evaluating teams, players, and coaches. It's just like politics, which is why I posted this article the other day (it's a great read): "Motivated ignorance" is ruining our political discourse

Sometimes there is a middle ground with things.

Not here. That's why I had chosen to leave the forum, but have regretfully returned.

FlyersMania2

#FireHakstol
Jul 4, 2007
NJ

Sometimes there is a middle ground with things. And people want to label me a "Hakstol lover" simply because I take a middle ground with him and don't bash him across the board. It's because of the human psychological element of wanting to paint anything that doesn't 100% correlate with your own opinions as, essentially, evil.

So let's all sit around and try to debate why TK said what he did about the coach? That's productive?

PS: You argue like a Hakstol lover bc there are very real, quantifiable mistakes he's made and you never acknowledge them. Unbiased people can see flaws.

FlyersMania2

#FireHakstol
Jul 4, 2007
NJ
I know a couple people who almost never post anymore for the same reason.

People, in general, only talk about things they strongly agree with or disagree with. So yes, casual fans who aren't anti-Hakstol are not on here posting - which, as you are helping to further prove, those who support or oppose him are more likely to post.

Reactions: JojoTheWhale

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
People, in general, only talk about things they strongly agree with or disagree with. So yes, casual fans who aren't anti-Hakstol are not on here posting - which, as you are helping to further prove, those who support or oppose him are more likely to post.

I really like the idea of an extremely rational post coming from your Serious Bryz avatar. Just floating in and dropping calm knowledge as he does. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad