GDT: #78 - BLACKHAWKS at SABRES – FRI APR 3 @ 7:00 PM ET – MSG-B, BELL TV – WGR

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
He's turning the corner. Winning in the dot, winning battles, getting to the right areas, and making nice passes. Good to see.

If he gets another good offseason under his belt, it's not going to be stunning to see him make the team legitimately, not because he can't be sent down.

Des should have buried that one chance, and Darling just tipped a RIPPED wrister of his.

And I do think he was jobbed out of an apple tonight

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
If he gets another good offseason under his belt, it's not going to be stunning to see him make the team legitimately, not because he can't be sent down.

Des should have buried that one chance, and Darling just tipped a RIPPED wrister of his.

And I do think he was jobbed out of an apple tonight

Yeah, he deserved one for sure.

JLewyB

May 6, 2013
Pegulaville
the bills wanted to be a matchup nightmare. looks like the Sabres are going to be a nightmare to play against. I love Des and Foligno playing with each other. Risto looks amazing. This feels like Isles last year. They played with a lot of spunk last year but couldnt win without Taveres.

BowieSabresFan

Nov 18, 2010
Just got back from bowling, so was following the game on the phone. Without going back into both threads, I bet this one and the tank thread (especially the latter) were entertaining tonight.:)

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
the bills wanted to be a matchup nightmare. looks like the Sabres are going to be a nightmare to play against. I love Des and Foligno playing with each other. Risto looks amazing. This feels like Isles last year. They played with a lot of spunk last year but couldnt win without Taveres.

Not to mention we have other "Bull in china shop" types coming up the ranks in Compher, Fasching, Baptiste, Bailey......etc.

We are going to be a complete PITA to play against, regardless of who are top centers wind up being.

mikemcburn

Oct 23, 2013

You can love it, but please don't go all out and wish it on Foligno. He can do better than that while on the 3rd/4th next season.

RoofIt5hole

Ball Don't Lie
Jul 1, 2014
Chicago
He's shown nothing at the NHL level, nothing the way Larsson showed last season. Grigs has no future in Buffalo, maybe no future at all. Just put him on waivers now.

I'm going to assume this is sarcasm.

Otherwise it's an incredibly stupid sports thought.

Sabres played tough tonight and it was great to see. Obviously I could've done without the mini heart attack when he team was up 1 with 2 minutes left to play but whatever... If Foligno, Grigs, Larsson, & Risto keep up this play next year, the team will be a lot more fun to watch with the addition of McEichel.

Larsson is playing himself into a real spot on the rebuild. Larsson as 4C would be unbelievable. McEichel 1c, Reinhart 2c, Girgs/Grigs 3c, Larsson 4c and this teams set for a real cup run.

RoofIt5hole

Ball Don't Lie
Jul 1, 2014
Chicago
There seems to be a loud and very vocal contingent of Hawks fans everywhere... The Hawks bandwagon is the biggest in the league.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
He's shown nothing at the NHL level, nothing the way Larsson showed last season. Grigs has no future in Buffalo, maybe no future at all. Just put him on waivers now.

I really thought you were better than this. Unless this is sarcasm.

There are two perfect opportunities for you to see NHL growth from Mikhail Grigorenko in tonight's third period alone.

number one

Rewind your DVR to play it with about 6:20 left in the third.

Hawks are transitioning up ice. Grigo is back checking through the neutral zone. Instead of going head down full speed through the neutral zone towards the puck carrier...or to the net where he isn't needed (like he was doing so blatantly when he first played here)... He looked around, saw Vermette was unaccounted for as he was set to enter our zone, and Grigo stayed with him. Properly.

Additionally, as Vermette curled high in the zone, and not towards the net, Grigorenko CORRECTLY did the same and kept him covered. Every other man was accounted for and the puck carrier was not a threat. It was a perfect read.

number two

The PP after the Timmonen trip. Sustained possession in the zone. Keep an eye on Grigo and watch him find open space, stick cocked marginally above the ice in a position to shoot, WIH HIS HEAD UP.

It was "let me skate into traffic and blend in" when he was first here. Seeing him play with the offensive instincts we know he has is a sign of increasing confidence.

The last three games have been very good for him. And he is showing MORE THAN ENOUGH progress and potential to not be run out of town. The right deal aside, he is in my mix for our future.

RoofIt5hole

Ball Don't Lie
Jul 1, 2014
Chicago

There are two perfect opportunities for you to see NHL growth from Mikhail Grigorenko in tonight's third period alone.

number one

Hawks are transitioning up ice. Grigo is back checking through the neutral zone. Instead of going head down full speed through the neutral zone towards the puck carrier...or to the net where he isn't needed (like he was doing so blatantly when he first played here)... He looked around, saw Vermette was unaccounted for as he was set to enter our zone, and Grigo stayed with him. Properly.

Additionally, as Vermette curled high in the zone, and not towards the net, Grigorenko CORRECTLY did the same and kept him covered. Every other man was accounted for and the puck carrier was not a threat. It was a perfect read.

number two

The PP after the Timmonen trip. Sustained possession in the zone. Keep an eye on Grigo and watch him find open space, stick cocked marginally above the ice in a position to shoot, WIH HIS HEAD UP.

It was "let me skate into traffic and blend in" when he was first here. Seeing him play with the offensive instincts we know he has is a sign of increasing confidence.

The last three games have been very good for him. And he is showing MORE THAN ENOUGH progress and potential to not be run out of town. The right deal aside, he is in my mix for our future.

I'm choosing to give him the benefit of the doubt and assume that was sarcasm...

Grigs showed me a lot of growth tonight. And a glimmer of hope that he could truly flourish on a better team...

Heraldic

Dec 12, 2013
I'm choosing to give him the benefit of the doubt and assume that was sarcasm...

Grigs showed me a lot of growth tonight. And a glimmer of hope that he could truly flourish on a better team...

He's been playing a lot better the last games. He wins a lot of face-offs (at this area, he's already an asset to the team), and he engages a lot more than previously. The problem is he still lacks strength big time. When he's battling for the puck, he usually end up falling. But that is something he gets better by training strength during the summer. Johansen had the same problem that he lost many his puck battles, which made him hesitant. When he got stronger, and noticed that he is able to protect the puck and win puck battles, his confidence exploded and he started to engage regularly.

I don't think it's fair at all to say that he "hasn't shown anything". Last game he had several good scoring opportunities, fed Deslauriers a million dollar spot between the dots from down-low (luckily Deslauriers wasn't able to get a proper shot), and the first Foligno's goal was a result of his face-off win. Those for examples.

His "proving" is still more flashes than constant impacting, but he is absolutely making a progress.

RoofIt5hole

Ball Don't Lie
Jul 1, 2014
Chicago
He's been playing a lot better the last games. He wins a lot of face-offs (at this area, he's already an asset to the team), and he engages a lot more than previously. The problem is he still lacks strength big time. When he's battling for the puck, he usually end up falling. But that is something he gets better by training strength during the summer. Johansen had the same problem that he lost many his puck battles, which made him hesitant. When he got stronger, and noticed that he is able to protect the puck and win puck battles, his confidence exploded and he started to engage regularly.

I don't think it's fair at all to say that he "hasn't shown anything". Last game he had several good scoring opportunities, fed Deslauriers a million dollar spot between the dots from down-low (luckily Deslauriers wasn't able to get a proper shot), and the first Foligno's goal was a result of his face-off win. Those for examples.

His "proving" is still more flashes than constant impacting, but he is absolutely making a progress.

He needs to get with the strength coach & program Girgensons did last summer.

Obviously he'd play much better with better line mates... We'll see what GMTM does this offseason..

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
Random question.

I noticed a United Healthcare ad during the sabres feed. I didn't know they were a sponsor? In addition to BCBS WNY ? Granted I've been doing a lot of away feeds lately, but since when?

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Random question.

I noticed a United Healthcare ad during the sabres feed. I didn't know they were a sponsor? In addition to BCBS WNY ? Granted I've been doing a lot of away feeds lately, but since when?
I watched away feed. Took a shot at Buffalo. One of the guys said it was almost the perfect road trip to Buffalo, in at 3am rest, game and leave. Too bad it wasn't an afternoon game, we would be gone already. Followed by a lot of laughter.

I don't get why everyone hates coming here. I've been to many cities, it's not a bad city. You never hear jokes like that for Columbus or similar cities. Maybe the jokes are said but I just don't take them the same way.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA

number one

number two

I still think that play he made in the 2nd period was bigger proof.

Puck dumped in, Grigo goes racing after it and physically removes the puck from the defenseman along the boards (Timmonen?). After this, he goes around the net and then from his BACKHAND, slips a perfect pass between another defender's legs right onto Des's stick, who promptly deposits the puck into Darling's crest.

He hustled to get the puck, won the battle along the boards and then used his skills to put a pass that a better finisher buries with ease.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
That's actually not uncommon for games against Chicago...there's a large and very loud contingent of Blackhawks fans in the area.

I noticed a lot of red jerseys in the lower bowl so i think your statement holds true. I'm sure there were still Sabres fans cheering when Chicago scored the fourth goal, but the Chicago fans cheering increased the volume tenfold.

Dec 8, 2013
Monte Carlo
I watched away feed. Took a shot at Buffalo. One of the guys said it was almost the perfect road trip to Buffalo, in at 3am rest, game and leave. Too bad it wasn't an afternoon game, we would be gone already. Followed by a lot of laughter.

I don't get why everyone hates coming here. I've been to many cities, it's not a bad city. You never hear jokes like that for Columbus or similar cities. Maybe the jokes are said but I just don't take them the same way.
The Buffalo area overall isn't that bad.

Where the players are quickly traveling in and around the arena... it's a depressing dump. Slowly improving, but a long way to go.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel

number one

number two

In the games I've seen lately, I've noticed the same. He's learning. I think the team already has a potentially great center line-up with Reinhart, Girgensons, and Larsson. Grigorenko could be part of that group if he keeps progressing.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
In the games I've seen lately, I've noticed the same. He's learning. I think the team already has a potentially great center line-up with Reinhart, Girgensons, and Larsson. Grigorenko could be part of that group if he keeps progressing.

Grigorenko reaching something approaching his ceiling could soften the "blow" if we do finish 29th and luck into Stromarnifin.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad