Post-Game Talk: #77 | Islanders 3 at FLYERS 6 | Thursday, March 30, 2017

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Couturier dominant in the first period.

It boggles the mind how this player goes from slow beta scrub to two-way power forward-slash-creator.

This happened last year as well (or was it the year before), where he flipped a switch and shined for about 6 weeks.

I'd like a full season of this guy please.

From Nov 28th until the end of the season last year....so for over 4 months....he was on a 60+ point pace. So a bit more than 6 weeks.

The thing is, even if he is not getting points, his wingers usually are. And that gets ignored by certain people. TK and Jake were racking up points as his wingers to start the season, even if he was not. And certain people were saying Couts had nothing to do with it. Then Couts gets hurt, Schenn becomes their C, and they both fall off a cliff.

Maybe there is a pattern developing that certain people will see. EVERY winger produces with Couts....regardless if Couts is getting points himself. He makes his wingers better. Maybe it's because he focuses more on D, so they can on offense. Or maybe he plays a simple game that others can read off of. Regardless, he produces at ES as well as anyone else on the team yet again.

My only beef is how when he IS putting up points, certain haters just disappear. They only show up when he struggles. But whatever, that's on them being that way.

Nice that we will have C depth entering next year already in place and when Lindblom joins, and TK is released from his anchors, we can legit have 3 lines who could provide offense.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I think we can stop blaming the scheme for the forward's struggles.

Weise - Couts - Schenn have been dominant, why? I think because they play more N/S, not a lot of fancy skating and passing, shoot and attack the crease.

And I think Hextall is watching and thinking about who fits going forward.
He can see what Weal is doing, and what some other forwards aren't doing.

I don't think the main focus of the offseason is going to be excessive concern with 4th line wingers who play 8 ES minutes a night, but finding the right 9-10 forwards who play real minutes.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
From Nov 28th until the end of the season last year....so for over 4 months....he was on a 60+ point pace. So a bit more than 6 weeks.

The thing is, even if he is not getting points, his wingers usually are. And that gets ignored by certain people. TK and Jake were racking up points as his wingers to start the season, even if he was not. And certain people were saying Couts had nothing to do with it. Then Couts gets hurt, Schenn becomes their C, and they both fall off a cliff.

Maybe there is a pattern developing that certain people will see. EVERY winger produces with Couts....regardless if Couts is getting points himself. He makes his wingers better. Maybe it's because he focuses more on D, so they can on offense. Or maybe he plays a simple game that others can read off of. Regardless, he produces at ES as well as anyone else on the team yet again.

My only beef is how when he IS putting up points, certain haters just disappear. They only show up when he struggles. But whatever, that's on them being that way.

Nice that we will have C depth entering next year already in place and when Lindblom joins, and TK is released from his anchors, we can legit have 3 lines who could provide offense.

Yep. Excluding Weal who has not been here all season, Couturier is our top ES point producer at the moment.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP

Weise - Couts - Schenn have been dominant, why? I think because they play more N/S, not a lot of fancy skating and passing, shoot and attack the crease.

I don't think the main focus of the offseason is going to be excessive concern with 4th line wingers who play 8 ES minutes a night, but finding the right 9-10 forwards who play real minutes.

You're right - like you, hockey professionals will just ignore the 4th line, because it doesn't matter at all.

BAD LINES MATTER

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
You're right - like you, hockey professionals will just ignore the 4th line, because it doesn't matter at all.

BAD LINES MATTER

No, he just won't obsess over it unlike some posters.

How well your top three lines play matters a heck of a lot more than how bad your last couple players play, because most teams, even playoff teams, have marginal talents at the bottom of the roster.

Given the salary cap, the bottom players are going to be either inexperienced (pre-RFA years) or low cost (limited talent). If you have a deep organization, then those inexperienced players will have talent, but they'll be constantly replaced as they move up the food chain (or move out).

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
No, he just won't obsess over it unlike some posters.

How well your top three lines play matters a heck of a lot more than how bad your last couple players play, because most teams, even playoff teams, have marginal talents at the bottom of the roster.

Given the salary cap, the bottom players are going to be either inexperienced (pre-RFA years) or low cost (limited talent). If you have a deep organization, then those inexperienced players will have talent, but they'll be constantly replaced as they move up the food chain (or move out).

phone ringing

deadhead: "Hello?"
voice on phone: "Hi head, it's 1992 calling."
deadhead: "Yes? How can I help you?"
voice on phone: "I want my ideas about 4th lines back."

WIP CALLER

Aug 18, 2016

LOL one stretch of 3 straight games where they've scored more than 2 goals since december(Ottawa was a shootout win so not really even 3 games) and all of the sudden hakstol has a winning system again. yeah, let's just ignore the majority of the season's offensive struggles because they scored 6 goals on the islanders...

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada
LOL one stretch of 3 straight games where they've scored more than 2 goals since december(Ottawa was a shootout win so not really even 3 games) and all of the sudden hakstol has a winning system again. yeah, let's just ignore the majority of the season's offensive struggles because they scored 6 goals on the islanders...

lol one game were the flood gates open... system is fixed..

hahah might aswell just hand us the cup i guess.

WIP CALLER

Aug 18, 2016
I don't think it's a coincidence the first line has sucked ever since Matt "solid season" Read was put there. Have no idea what Hak has seen this year to give him that promotion.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I don't think it's a coincidence the first line has sucked ever since Matt "solid season" Read was put there. Have no idea what Hak has seen this year to give him that promotion.

He has that old school "every line needs a defensive presence" mentality. If Giroux and Voracek were carrying the line and scoring, than I would have no problem with Read riding their coat-tails, but they're not. They could use Konecny's speed, creativity, and shot on their line.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Honestly he skipped my mind :laugh:

He's been around pretty much my entire life so I sometimes forget that he isn't retired yet :laugh:

Third best beard then.

This is how I think Gudas grows his facial hair:

4637328+_2d9af2540652f07427e1953ba5018077.gif

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
If anyone has the game recorded, Read's last shift was with 6 minutes left in the 3rd.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

Well the scheme changed after the Calgary game and centers have been far more involved with a bit less perimeter at, so yeah we can stop blaming the system for someone like, say, Giroux.

They system is still exceptionally questionable, but better when more than one forward can provide pressure while the other two pass back and forth along the boards.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
He has that old school "every line needs a defensive presence" mentality. If Giroux and Voracek were carrying the line and scoring, than I would have no problem with Read riding their coat-tails, but they're not. They could use Konecny's speed, creativity, and shot on their line.

And if the puck goes into a corner, who's gonna got get it?
And who's gonna screen the goalie?
You can't pass it back and forth indefinitely in today's NHL.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Well the scheme changed after the Calgary game and centers have been far more involved with a bit less perimeter at, so yeah we can stop blaming the system for someone like, say, Giroux.

They system is still exceptionally questionable, but better when more than one forward can provide pressure while the other two pass back and forth along the boards.

I don't know if it changed, but since Calgary:
58 goals (11 PP)
54 goals allowed
Out shot their opponent 13 times, outshot 6 times, tied once.

To me the big change was Weal replacing Raffl, Pilppula allowing Schenn to move to RW with Couts, and MDZ playing better.
Better balance on the lines, but they're still a bit dysfunctional.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I don't know if it changed, but since Calgary:
58 goals (11 PP)
54 goals allowed
Out shot their opponent 13 times, outshot 6 times, tied once.

To me the big change was Weal replacing Raffl, Pilppula allowing Schenn to move to RW with Couts, and MDZ playing better.
Better balance on the lines, but they're still a bit dysfunctional.

THose changes occurred. On top of that Centers became engaged in offense in a manner similar to what we'd seen the year before, instead of serving chiefly to fetch pucks behind the net and fill in for W and D while they try to score. That's pretty big.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad