Post-Game Talk: #77 | Islanders 3 at FLYERS 6 | Thursday, March 30, 2017

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Weise has 7 points in 9 games and is +9 since his last benching. He learned.

Or he just went to Couts line where wingers produce.

I do wonder if LV sees this and he becomes their target in expansion.

Last edited:

Winston Wolf

May 15, 2003
Philadelphia
We use has 7 points in 9 games and is +9 since his last benching. He learned.

Or he just went to Couts line where wingers produce.

I do wonder if LV sees this and he becomes their target in expansion.
I'm hoping they take MDZ or by the grace of God, MacDonald. I wonder if the Flyers sent Vegas a 2nd and a middling prospect, if Vegas would think about it.

boxcar65

Sep 24, 2007
Richmond, VA
The Hitmann had one or two adventures with the puck, but overall had another solid game:

1 assist, +3, 4 blocks, 5 hits, plus he rung the old man's bell a couple of times in a good scrap

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
The Hitmann had one or two adventures with the puck, but overall had another solid game:

1 assist, +3, 4 blocks, 5 hits, plus he rung the old man's bell a couple of times in a good scrap

:laugh:

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Flyers went flat the second period, then came out and player normally in the 3rd period.
Pretty natural, up 5-0 they relaxed and Islanders were desperate.
Second goal for Islanders was a fluke bounce off the boards, third goal a Mason softee special.

Weise - Couts - Schenn is by far our best line, because they play N/S and go to the net. Did Voracek play?

Too bad MDZ is such a head case, he's the little girl with the curl.
Gudas on the other hand is a force of nature.

CodyTheHuman

Dec 31, 2014
California
Can someone who actually watched the game tell me how Giroux was playing? It's interesting to see him held pointless in a 6-3 game (even though he has a terrible line right now).

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Couts now has 14 points in 15 games and +16 since the deadline.

And had made Schenn and Weise useful at ES.

Now on a 42 point pace for the season. I was hoping for 50 points/pace so he needs a good finish to get that.

The 1st line is not producing....I wish they would try TK there to end the season. See if they can find some chemistry.

His easier minutes and defined role now helps a lot :sarcasm:

And they're basically all at ES. Considering how wretched this team is doing 5v5 this year, it's no great mark of shame he isn't pacing for 50. Not a single person on this team would if not on the PP1. I don't want to read into a hot stretch too much (because it is that.....even if more than well deserved), but this combined with last year provides some optimism for him being a 45-50 point guy next year. Surging confidence and an increased understanding of what his abilities are does wonders.

I know some people malign him on the PP, but with everyone in their right spots, the PP2 actually has looked good of late. A full year with someone like Weal QBing, Flip QBing the other side, and most importantly, Coots in front of the net doing the garbage work......I want to see that before writing him off. It'd be like putting (a lesser) Simmonds on the right half wall for years and coming to the conclusion he isn't fit to play the PP. Getting 10-12 PP points a year is enough to push him over. There's no reason at all he can't be a good net front guy on PP2. None. It's not a demanding role, and his size, intelligence, strength does all the work for him.

SnS

Global Moderator
Jan 27, 2009
Wilson, North Carolina
Some thoughts ;

I don't understand the stupid woooooo stuff. Let it die.

Gudas is a train, that hit was sick.

The crowd when nuts when Manning bowled over Pelech while trying to clear the puck.

Simmonds wave was on the big screen and the crowd loved it. He seems to always have a serious demeanor.

Giroux, has to be hurt or something; even though he was involved in the shoving match at the end of the period. He just didn't look the same.

Weise / Couts / Schenn had a pretty decent game ; mainly a great first 10 minutes. I didn't think Weise would scrap like he did with Hamonic.

Weal impressed me again for his size, I'd like to see a 1/2 year deal.

Voracek looked pretty bad overall.

Still not understanding why The Neck is being benched when we were up by 3 or so, unless he wasn't on the bench.

Wonder Twins are something else. I can't even explain it.

Lastly ;

Provo is true love.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
judging by what i heard from Doug Weight post game, that 1st intermission must of been something in the Isles dressing room. wasnt shy about calling out the veterans in the post game presser i heard on Icecap on Sirius.

DeflatedFootball7

Jul 9, 2011
Nanaimo
I don't really buy jersey's anymore (Last one was a Schenn winter classic in 2012, got his first that game too :laugh:) but If I was going to get one I'd probably get a Gudas jersey.

Hated him and thought he was a joke when he was with Tampa but he's become an absolute monster. Plus he probably has the second best beard in the NHL behind Burns.

CodyTheHuman

Dec 31, 2014
California
I don't really buy jersey's anymore (Last one was a Schenn winter classic in 2012, got his first that game too :laugh:) but If I was going to get one I'd probably get a Gudas jersey.

Hated him and thought he was a joke when he was with Tampa but he's become an absolute monster. Plus he probably has the second best beard in the NHL behind Burns.

No love for Thornton's skunk stripe?

Sombastate

Jun 19, 2011
Las Vegas
Missed the last 10 minutes of the game.

Incredible first period by the whole team. Great rest of the game by Mason.

Unfortunately every team we needed to win lost instead.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
The good: 6 goals scored and fun hockey to watch

The bad: We are in the midst of another unfortunate, meaningless end-of-the-season winning streak that will hurt our draft position.

Delete99991

May 9, 2013
Couturier dominant in the first period.

It boggles the mind how this player goes from slow beta scrub to two-way power forward-slash-creator.

This happened last year as well (or was it the year before), where he flipped a switch and shined for about 6 weeks.

I'd like a full season of this guy please.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Something tells me the Giroux narrative needs to be let go. I think the guy is just a 60-70 pt player at best anymore. Yea, he doesn't look the same, he's not the same guy. He's older and slower, if you put a guy that can bury the pucks on his wings, maybe he pushes 75+ pts with like 55 assists.

NYCFlyer

Nov 23, 2002
NYC
Can someone who actually watched the game tell me how Giroux was playing? It's interesting to see him held pointless in a 6-3 game (even though he has a terrible line right now).

The first line, if you want to call it that, was mostly shut down and seemed to play a lot of the game in their own end. There was one play that really stood out where someone sent Giroux on what seemed like a sure wide open breakaway and Giroux seemed to be skating with a piano on his back and the defenseman caught him like a parent chasing his five year old. Even if he was at the end of a shift, it was really really surprising how dead his legs were. He has got to be hurt.

usahockey22flyers

2 years away from being 2 years away
Nov 9, 2009
Philly
Couts now has 14 points in 15 games and +16 since the deadline.

And had made Schenn and Weise useful at ES.

Now on a 42 point pace for the season. I was hoping for 50 points/pace so he needs a good finish to get that.

The 1st line is not producing....I wish they would try TK there to end the season. See if they can find some chemistry.

So so so so good to see. Thanks for the #s.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
It was a ridiculous and fun game that we probably shouldn't read too much into. Konecny and Ghost had probably the worst Corsi games of the careers, but who cares.

Hamonic had a cast on his left hand after the fight with Weise and is out for the rest of the season.

dingbathero

No Jam? How about PB
Jul 14, 2010
St. John's, NL
Something tells me the Giroux narrative needs to be let go. I think the guy is just a 60-70 pt player at best anymore. Yea, he doesn't look the same, he's not the same guy. He's older and slower, if you put a guy that can bury the pucks on his wings, maybe he pushes 75+ pts with like 55 assists.

Mike Ribeiro type production from here on out then?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad