GDT: #77 | FLYERS at Stars | Tue., Mar. 27, 2018, 8:30 pm ET | FS-SW+, NBCSP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I hope Matt Read will save the day again when TK watches the last period from the bench. Gudas can show Sanheim how to make tape-to-tape passes and Filppula is here to rescue the team before Patrick makes any more stupid things.

I see the improvements this team made and the injection of youngsters but it doesn't get in my head why the stubborn coach still tries the same nonsense over and over again.

Every senior home would be jealous the way we treat our veterans.

I'm sure Weise and Oduya would recommend the pressbox popcorn to other vets.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
We are still in relatively good position. But, this is the least enthused I have been about making the playoffs ever.

This is the very definition of "limping in."

Hak has completely lost his handle on the season. They are a total mess on the ice and are getting points based on the individual talents of their best players. The goaltending situation hasn't helped, but I also don't think Hak has handled that as well as he could either. We are at the point where it's apparent that he doesn't trust either goalie. This is Laviolette in the 2011 Playoffs all over again.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Well, gee, I guess most teams win because of the individual talents of their worse players? :sarcasm:
I mean the Penguins would still beat teams without Crosby and Malkin playing well. Right?

The Flyers have 89 points with 5 games left, they're a good bet to get to 95, which would be a pretty darn good season given the goal tending this year.
With average goal tending, they'd probably would have been a lock for 100 points.

Let's put it this way, if NJ had Mrazek and Lyon instead of Luongo, what do you think their record would be?
Columbus without Bob? Florida without Kincaid?
A hot goal tender makes a coach look like a genius.

Reactions: marcsson68

The Rage Kage

Apr 21, 2014
Well, gee, I guess most teams win because of the individual talents of their worse players? :sarcasm:
I mean the Penguins would still beat teams without Crosby and Malkin playing well. Right?

The Flyers have 89 points with 5 games left, they're a good bet to get to 95, which would be a pretty darn good season given the goal tending this year.
With average goal tending, they'd probably would have been a lock for 100 points.

Let's put it this way, if NJ had Mrazek and Lyon instead of Luongo, what do you think their record would be?
They look like playoff teams without those guys! :sarcasm:

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
They look like playoff teams without those guys! :sarcasm:

It would be an interesting exercise to collectively write a PGT from a Penguins perspective. Fell behind early, played a meh first period and were trailing at 1st intermission, took back the lead twice only to give up equalizers, the second with less than a minute in the game. Had to squeak out a win in OT against an inferior opponent.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
It would be an interesting exercise to collectively write a PGT from a Penguins perspective. Fell behind early, played a meh first period and were trailing at 1st intermission, took back the lead twice only to give up equalizers, the second with less than a minute in the game. Had to squeak out a win in OT against an inferior opponent.

That would be "interesting" the same way it would be "interesting" to inject yourself with malaria just to see how it feels. :naughty:

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Yeah, there's really no excuse here. They are a more flawed team than even the Flyers, and have been playing generally horrendous.

No different than Detroit, who came into their game 0-9-1 in their previous 10, then proceeded to skate us out of the building. We have absolutely no cohesiveness and seemingly no gameplan going into each game. This is why other teams take it to us early in games before the PLAYERS figure out what they need to do to get the game back on track.

I am fully expecting more of the same and for us to be lucky to get 1 point, and will probably walk away with 0. I'm also still expecting Florida and NJ to pass us and for us to miss the Playoffs (expecting not hoping). They are playing better hockey and getting much better goaltending.

marcsson68

Jan 23, 2018

Idea: To check out how important goaltending has been you might have to check the (first to third) stars goalies have received after the game.
Getting a first star usually means a goalie has more or less won the game alone with a spectecular shootout or sth like that. Receiving a second or third star also means the goalie made a huge impact.

The choice of the three stars obviously is being influenced by bias but numbers over a whole season should mean something.

The ones like Andersen, Helleybuck and Fleury have collected multiple stars even though their teams are playing well in general. My guess is Bob has collected more stars than all of the Flyers´ goalies together.

Reactions: Rebels57

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
The problem with basing anything at all on the Stars of the Game isn't just bias. It's that the people choosing them are largely unqualified to do so.

It would tell you nothing something as simple as SVP doesn't already do and better. They're basically using extremely limited sample sizes of GAA and SVP to vote.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
They are getting much better goaltending.

That's it, pure and simple.
Flyers goaltending has been below league average, those three teams have goalies posting S% of close to .930 down the stretch.
Keep the teams the same, switch goalies with the Flyers, and we lap all three by 10 points.

March:

CBJ: Bob 7-2 .932 - Korpisalo 3-1 .898
NJ: Kincaid 6-2 .931 - Schneider 0-4 .852
FLA: Luongo 5-3-1 .927 - Reimer 4-0 .963

St Louis: Allen 7-2 .927 - Hutton 0-0-1 .912
Pittsburgh: Murray 1-1-1 .907 - DeSmith 2-0 .884 - Jarry 4-2 .883
Wash: Grubauer 5-2 .927 - Holtby 3-1 .887

Pittsburgh like us, are winning despite their goalies, but I don't think anyone really thinks that we are as talented as the Penguins after the trade deadline.

Last edited:

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
IMG_20180326_182145.jpg

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
The Stars have been playing absolutely terrible recently, they've lost like 8 or 9 straight and fallen clean out of the playoff picture. If they lost this one they can kiss their season goodbye.

So I fully expect them to beat the Flyers.

Just like last Tues against Detroit

Reactions: Starat327

BackWithaVengeance

Jan 19, 2008
Germany
I love how 95 points are probably enough to be in when the Panthers and Devils are winning game after game.

Loosing to the Stars will eventually mean a b2b loose to the Avalanche too since these guys actually know how to win on home ice.

These next 2 will teach us a lot.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
What are the odds the Panthers, Jackets and Devils continue to win out?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad