GDT: #77 ⋅ SEA @ ANA ⋅ 7:00 PM PDT

Status
Not open for further replies.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA

Cronin at least called out the nonsense of Gudas' "tripping" penalty and the Kraken players jumping him but not getting a call. seems like he's completely given up on expecting fair officiating at this point. Also is it odd that he doesn't know what was going on with Zegras at the end?

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Eakins... Cronin... they are means to an end, not the solution. It's why I didn't care if Eakins Stayed or got canned. The problem isn't the coach and until the roster is fixed the coach isn't going to matter much. Guys are learning different things from the different approaches, but these aren't the coaches that are taking them far.

2018-19 TDL: start of Murray rebuild
2018-19: Finished 8th worst, drafted 9th.
2019-20, Year 1 Murray Rebuild: Finished 5th worst, drafted 6th.
2020-21, Year 2 Murray Rebuild: Finished 2nd worst, drafted 3rd.
2021-22, Year 3 Murray Rebuild/ Verbeek reset rebuild: Finished 10th worst, drafted 10th.

2021-22
Game SetGPWLOTLPtsPts %.GFGAGDGD/GP.GF/GPGA/GP
Total8231371476
46.3%​
232271-39
-0.48​
Gm 1 - 3333179741
62.1%​
0.39​
Gm 34 - 481567214
46.7%​
3746-9
-0.60​
Gm 49 - 62144919
32.1%​
3960-21
-1.50​
Gm 63 - 8220412412
30.0%​
5274-22
-1.10​

• Breakdown of the 2021-22 season
    • Gm 1-33
      • GM Murray resigns in early Nov.
      • Record: 17-9-7 (41 pts)
        2nd in Pacific
      • Everyone was healthy to start the season. C Zegras and RD Drysdale's first full NHL season.
    • Gm 34-48
      • No GM. No NHL acquisitions
      • Record: 23-16-9 (55 pts)
        3rd in Pacific
      • This game set is where one of at least Fowler, Lindholm, or Manson started getting injured.
      • Silf was hot, but got COVID and was never the same for the rest of the season.
    • Gm 49-62
      • New GM Verbeek hired during All-star break.
        All-Star break was between Duck games 48 and 49.
      • Record: 27-25-10 (64 pts)
        6th in Pacific, 4 points behind 3rd in Pacific
      • RD Manson went on IR during All-star break. He missed 12 consecutive games.
        Verbeek didn't add RD Sustr until Manson's 12th missed game.
      • TDL Moves
        Top Pairing LD Lindholm traded away.
        Top-4 RD Manson traded away.
        Pugilist LW/PK'er Deslauriers traded away.
        RW Rakell traded away.
    • Gm 63-82
      • GM Verbeek did his first Verbeekening
      • Record: 31-37-14 (76 pts)
        7th in Pacific, 23 points behind 3rd in Pacific
      • Team finished with 10th worst record.

You're correct about having a proper roster will help tremendously because we saw what Eakins did with a proper roster to start the 2021-22 season. Eakins helped Terry breakout offensively and usher in Zegras to break 60 points as a full-time rookie. Unfortunately, we had no GM from game 14-48 to make any NHL transactions. And when Verbeek joined the team, he sat on his hands and did nothing when Manson was on IR while the team was forced to ice three defensive rookies in Drysdale, Benoit, and Mahura.

People don't want to give Eakins credit when he had a proper roster. And when Eakins was given a shit roster last year, just about everyone thought Eakins was never a good coach. Lo and behold this year, Cronin and an even better roster at forward and defense were not productive. Cronin isn't receiving the vitriol Eakins got despite Eakins doing more with far less.

So yeah. Roster talent matters. At least with Eakins, we actually did witness he could help a team be in a playoff or fringe playoff position in year 3 of the Murray rebuild before Verbeek blew up the team.

Reactions: Rybread86

anezthes

Mar 20, 2014
I thought Zegras had a good game. He made a couple of really nice defensive plays, set up Strome, Vatrano, and Zellweger, and caused turnovers with his forecheck, etc.

He and Carlsson – as usual – made it worth watching for me, at least.

LaCombe kinda reminds me of Lundeström; they're great powerful skaters that can get the puck up ice, but not so much anything else.

JAHV

Sponsor
Oct 3, 2023
Anaheim, CA
Rant incoming because after the first 10 minutes, that was some of the worst hockey I've ever seen from this team, and I've seen some really bad hockey.
  • Strome and Vatrano were both awful. Strome in particular made me want to throw things at the TV. Killorn was not much better.
  • I want to like Lundestrom. I do. He skates well, he works hard. But he's utter garbage in the offensive zone. Him being on the power play is a travesty. How many passes is Carlsson going to waste on Lundestrom?
  • Neither Groulx nor Johnston are NHL players and their presence in the lineup is aggravating.
  • I'm sick and f***ing tired of the Ducks playing by different rules than the rest of the league. That call on Gudas was absolute horseshit. If you're going to take that away from Gudas, just kick him out of the league.
  • I long for the day when this team can take the puck away from a team and then execute a clean breakout. Some day it will happen. But it is not this day.
  • HIT THE FREAKING NET WITH A SHOT. Vatrano, Nesterenko, Lagesson...wide open in scoring areas and they can't even get it on net.

Ok, I'm done. At least Leo Carlsson is great.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I thought Zegras had a good game. He made a couple of really nice defensive plays, set up Strome, Vatrano, and Zellweger, and caused turnovers with his forecheck, etc.

He and Carlsson – as usual – made it worth watching for me, at least.

LaCombe kinda reminds me of Lundeström; they're great powerful skaters that can get the puck up ice, but not so much anything else.
I thought Lacombe (and Gudas) were our best defenders tonight. On the flip end, I thought that was Zellweger's worst game so far. Not that it's big cause for concern but he was sloppy with the puck, missed d-zone assignments regularly, and made a few pretty bad pinches where he needed to be bailed out by a covering forward.

Reactions: anezthes

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Rant incoming because after the first 10 minutes, that was some of the worst hockey I've ever seen from this team, and I've seen some really bad hockey.
  • Strome and Vatrano were both awful. Strome in particular made me want to throw things at the TV. Killorn was not much better.
  • I want to like Lundestrom. I do. He skates well, he works hard. But he's utter garbage in the offensive zone. Him being on the power play is a travesty. How many passes is Carlsson going to waste on Lundestrom?
  • Neither Groulx nor Johnston are NHL players and their presence in the lineup is aggravating.
  • I'm sick and f***ing tired of the Ducks playing by different rules than the rest of the league. That call on Gudas was absolute horseshit. If you're going to take that away from Gudas, just kick him out of the league.
  • I long for the day when this team can take the puck away from a team and then execute a clean breakout. Some day it will happen. But it is not this day.
  • HIT THE FREAKING NET WITH A SHOT. Vatrano, Nesterenko, Lagesson...wide open in scoring areas and they can't even get it on net.

Ok, I'm done. At least Leo Carlsson is great.
Yeah Vatrano was shockingly bad. Strome was worse but that's not as surprising. He can only perform well when his linemates are carrying him into good situations. But Vatrano looked like this is was his first time handling the puck in a professional league. Hard agree on Groulx and Johnston.

Groulx has maybe one solid game this year where I wasn't constantly thinking to myself that he wouldn't be in the league if it weren't for how weak Anaheim is. Johnston, I understand the thought process behind why he's on the team but he's really not playing to set an intimidation tone. Yeah he throws hits here and there and occasionally gets into random fights but it feels like Gudas is out there doing the one thing Johnston is there for while actually playing good hockey. Johnston having the puck is just automatic dead possession and he doesn't seem to do too much defensively. Nor does he seem to be serving up the deterrent effect our enforcer enthusiast always claims he does.

JAHV

Sponsor
Oct 3, 2023
Anaheim, CA
Yeah Vatrano was shockingly bad. Strome was worse but that's not as surprising. He can only perform well when his linemates are carrying him into good situations. But Vatrano looked like this is was his first time handling the puck in a professional league. Hard agree on Groulx and Johnston.

Groulx has maybe one solid game this year where I wasn't constantly thinking to myself that he wouldn't be in the league if it weren't for how weak Anaheim is. Johnston, I understand the thought process behind why he's on the team but he's really not playing to set an intimidation tone. Yeah he throws hits here and there and occasionally gets into random fights but it feels like Gudas is out there doing the one thing Johnston is there for while actually playing good hockey. Johnston having the puck is just automatic dead possession and he doesn't seem to do too much defensively. Nor does he seem to be serving up the deterrent effect our enforcer enthusiast always claims he does.
There was a play in the third period, I think, when the puck came to Johnston in the defensive zone. He was about halfway between his man who was on the right point and the faceoff circle. He had plenty of time to possess the puck, look down the ice, and either try to start a breakout, skate the puck out himself, or force the Seattle d-man to pressure him, which would have given him a lane to at least flip/bank the puck out of the zone. Instead he just blindly and weakly tossed the puck straight toward the side boards inside the offensive zone, unforced by any pressure. Seattle quickly recovered and restarted their endless cycle.

I know that many Ducks made mistakes tonight, but most of those were mistakes of execution or awareness. Johnston looks like he's playing a different game, and not in a good way.

Reactions: la patineuse

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
2018-19 TDL: start of Murray rebuild
2018-19: Finished 8th worst, drafted 9th.
2019-20, Year 1 Murray Rebuild: Finished 5th worst, drafted 6th.
2020-21, Year 2 Murray Rebuild: Finished 2nd worst, drafted 3rd.
2021-22, Year 3 Murray Rebuild/ Verbeek reset rebuild: Finished 10th worst, drafted 10th.

2021-22
Game SetGPWLOTLPtsPts %.GFGAGDGD/GP.GF/GPGA/GP
Total8231371476
46.3%​
232271-39
-0.48​
Gm 1 - 3333179741
62.1%​
0.39​
Gm 34 - 481567214
46.7%​
3746-9
-0.60​
Gm 49 - 62144919
32.1%​
3960-21
-1.50​
Gm 63 - 8220412412
30.0%​
5274-22
-1.10​

• Breakdown of the 2021-22 season
    • Gm 1-33
      • GM Murray resigns in early Nov.
      • Record: 17-9-7 (41 pts)
        2nd in Pacific
      • Everyone was healthy to start the season. C Zegras and RD Drysdale's first full NHL season.
    • Gm 34-48
      • No GM. No NHL acquisitions
      • Record: 23-16-9 (55 pts)
        3rd in Pacific
      • This game set is where one of at least Fowler, Lindholm, or Manson started getting injured.
      • Silf was hot, but got COVID and was never the same for the rest of the season.
    • Gm 49-62
      • New GM Verbeek hired during All-star break.
        All-Star break was between Duck games 48 and 49.
      • Record: 27-25-10 (64 pts)
        6th in Pacific, 4 points behind 3rd in Pacific
      • RD Manson went on IR during All-star break. He missed 12 consecutive games.
        Verbeek didn't add RD Sustr until Manson's 12th missed game.
      • TDL Moves
        Top Pairing LD Lindholm traded away.
        Top-4 RD Manson traded away.
        Pugilist LW/PK'er Deslauriers traded away.
        RW Rakell traded away.
    • Gm 63-82
      • GM Verbeek did his first Verbeekening
      • Record: 31-37-14 (76 pts)
        7th in Pacific, 23 points behind 3rd in Pacific
      • Team finished with 10th worst record.

You're correct about having a proper roster will help tremendously because we saw what Eakins did with a proper roster to start the 2021-22 season. Eakins helped Terry breakout offensively and usher in Zegras to break 60 points as a full-time rookie. Unfortunately, we had no GM from game 14-48 to make any NHL transactions. And when Verbeek joined the team, he sat on his hands and did nothing when Manson was on IR while the team was forced to ice three defensive rookies in Drysdale, Benoit, and Mahura.

People don't want to give Eakins credit when he had a proper roster. And when Eakins was given a shit roster last year, just about everyone thought Eakins was never a good coach. Lo and behold this year, Cronin and an even better roster at forward and defense were not productive. Cronin isn't receiving the vitriol Eakins got despite Eakins doing more with far less.

So yeah. Roster talent matters. At least with Eakins, we actually did witness he could help a team be in a playoff or fringe playoff position in year 3 of the Murray rebuild before Verbeek blew up the team.
It’s year 1. If next year looks anything like this people will be pissed at Cronin. His system is a joke. I remember going to a game in person and me and my dad couldn’t believe how horrible and outdated it was. It’s very very bad.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
There was a play in the third period, I think, when the puck came to Johnston in the defensive zone. He was about halfway between his man who was on the right point and the faceoff circle. He had plenty of time to possess the puck, look down the ice, and either try to start a breakout, skate the puck out himself, or force the Seattle d-man to pressure him, which would have given him a lane to at least flip/bank the puck out of the zone. Instead he just blindly and weakly tossed the puck straight toward the side boards inside the offensive zone, unforced by any pressure. Seattle quickly recovered and restarted their endless cycle.

I know that many Ducks made mistakes tonight, but most of those were mistakes of execution or awareness. Johnston looks like he's playing a different game, and not in a good way.
I agree with the last point. Completely. I just don't think your example was the best because a lot of Ducks made the same mistake last night. A lot of unforced errors in that exact circumstance. Like Strome getting the puck just behind the defensive zone faceoff dot, plenty of time and space to have all kinds of options to start a breakout the other way, he elects to try to, I'm assuming, clear the zone with a dump out, but it ends up being a tape to tape pass right at a defenseman who was getting in possession to mark Strome on an attempted zone exit. No defensive pressure caused it, it was just a completely brain dead pass that was so stupid I'm still thinking about it the morning after.

Reactions: la patineuse

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Well there were a couple bonuses for me from last night. The old webbed D state flag hat was at the team store. This one:
anaheim-ducks-california-republic-hat_1_d77f3fb81de087dcf96ed2ae5f329d6a.jpg

I remember when it came out it kept flying off the shelves and never seemed to be sold in the building and always seemed to be sold out online. I've never in my life wanted a hat so badly but at some point I forgot about it. Saw it in the team shop and picked it up without thinking twice. Also grabbed one of those Mitchell & Ness replica vintage Mighty Ducks jerseys since my parents refused to buy me an authentic one when I was a kid and they were still in circulation. Probably silly to pay an in arena premium for it but I got the chance to wear the classic look in the building for the first time.

It’s year 1. If next year looks anything like this people will be pissed at Cronin. His system is a joke. I remember going to a game in person and me and my dad couldn’t believe how horrible and outdated it was. It’s very very bad.
I've been noticing that his system's-such as it is-emphasis on getting these guys playing more responsible defense seems to have had the inverse effect of dragging the team down offensively. So when someone earlier corrected that Cronin has been better than Eakins I think it's an extremely marginal improvement. The defense is better at shot suppression but it's come at the expense of our offense playing like decapitated chickens for big stretches of games. The offense sucked last year too but I don't remember them being this inept at basic offensive fundamentals.
Highlight of the game was seeing Getzlaf on the ice. The rest I wish I could forget.
Eh. I'll probably remember that neat Leo move and snipe (but it's a bit more special for me since it's his first NHL goal I've seen live) and Gudas' hit (I've been to a fair number of hockey games in my life but I've only seen a player flip like that maybe one other time)

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Eh. I'll probably remember that neat Leo move and snipe (but it's a bit more special for me since it's his first NHL goal I've seen live) and Gudas' hit (I've been to a fair number of hockey games in my life but I've only seen a player flip like that maybe one other time)
It’s a great feeling to see that in person. I was there in December when he had a goal and an assist and then the GW, SO goal.

Reactions: HanSolo

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Yeah my first Zegras goal in person was at T-Mobile arena. The loudest I've cheered for a goal against the Knights in that building. People looked at me like I was crazy.

My last trip both Leo and Zegras were out, in the two games I went to, and also think Mac was out as well in that 2nd game against Vancouver. They only had 18 SOG and was a real snoozer.

But I did see them beat the Devils the previous game. That was extra special for me.

Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
My last trip both Leo and Zegras were out, in the two games I went to, and also think Mac was out as well in that 2nd game against Vancouver. They only had 18 SOG and was a real snoozer.

But I did see them beat the Devils the previous game. That was extra special for me.
I was bummed to have missed Mac and Minty but I did see them in Vegas earlier this year. Was Minty's NHL debut too. Hoping they're back on the 18th with Cutter.

Reactions: Leonardo87

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Hoping this past TDL will be the last time we are selling off, to be honest. I’m tired of it.
So if we’re 10+ points out of the playoffs next year on February 1st, you want Verbeek to stand pat?

It’s very likely next season isn’t going to be a playoff year. I think the season after we could push for a playoff spot and that seems to be what Verbeek is gearing towards

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
So if we’re 10+ points out of the playoffs next year on February 1st, you want Verbeek to stand pat?

It’s very likely next season isn’t going to be a playoff year. I think the season after we could push for a playoff spot and that seems to be what Verbeek is gearing towards

If we are on the bubble next year around Feb , I’d expect Verbeek to not sell off again. I also would not be shocked if Vatrano is given an extension.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Well we don’t even know what he was offered. Also Vatrano is a guy I’d love to extend at a fair price. He can play up and down the line up, and based on his Spittin Chiclets interview he loves to be here.
I just don’t care that much about how much he loves to be here. Is he going to take a discount to stay? I doubt it. I think it’s likely we trade him as a rental a La Henrique next deadline anyway

If we are on the bubble next year around Feb , I’d expect Verbeek to not sell off again. I also would not be shocked if Vatrano is given an extension.
“The bubble” to me is 2-5 points out of a playoff spot. Happy to be wrong here but I just don’t see us being there in February next year. The following year sure.

An extension for Vatrano is unlikely IMO

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA

if we're in that position I would hope Verbeek adds to the roster. maybe not go all out, but just to reward the team for actually being competitive.

Reactions: DuckRogers10

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
This will be the ages of some of our best players to begin next season:

Carlsson (19)
Gauthier (20)
McTavish (21)
Mintyukov (21)
Zellweger (21)
Zegras (23)
Luneau? (20)
Terry (27)

And if we land Celebrini you can plug him in at the top at 18.

There’s no one in their prime besides Terry and maybe Zegras towards the end of the year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad