GDT: #77 ⋅ SEA @ ANA ⋅ 7:00 PM PDT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rybread86

To the DOME
Mar 24, 2022
OC
Nobody in this string of comments you replied to even blamed Cronin for the decision. They just said it was a bad decision in general. You went well out of your way to defend him though. And none of us know who made the choice to put Johnston out there anyway, and it doesn’t even matter. It was dumb.

Yeah, not true. Multiple people were saying things about Cronin and his decision making but whatever. That's not what cost us the game.

Anyway, Angels game is actually entertaining 😂

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
Im normally completely in the camp of giving another season to see how the coach can reimplement a system once they have a year of familiarity and another offseason to regroup but Cronin is really REALLY testing me
I wouldn't fire him after this season if nothing else because it's just MORE chaos, we have to make this work somehow. But he's not having a good year. He needs to get way better. And I hope he doesn't f*** things up in the mean time.

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
Honestly our selanne kariya neidermayer swat team may have really failed us by recommending verbeek
I hadnt thought about that but you’ll be right if he doesn’t ultimately work out. I actually really like a few of Pats draft picks and trades, but this Cronin hire right now is a real blemish for him.

Reactions: DuckRogers10
Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
Zegras is too outgoing to play
giphy.gif

Boo Boo

Jan 31, 2013
I hadnt thought about that but you’ll be right if he doesn’t ultimately work out. I actually really like a few of Pats draft picks and trades, but this Cronin hire right now is a real blemish for him.
I agree - he’s done some things that are actually interesting in a really good way but I’m worried we might end up leaning too far into some of his worse moves

Reactions: Mr Rogers

Rybread86

To the DOME
Mar 24, 2022
OC
I wouldn't fire him after this season if nothing else because it's just MORE chaos, we have to make this work somehow. But he's not having a good year. He needs to get way better. And I hope he doesn't f*** things up in the mean time.

I don't think you can fire him after 1 season, especially with the spot the team is in. Like you said, chaos.

They have to at least replace Brown, have a good draft, make some UFA acquisitions and then let the coaching staff address issues with the current system. If things like man-to-man are an issue, the offseason is the time to address them.

Reactions: Boo Boo

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York

Yeah. We have another season of Cronin, maybe new assistants, better roster, can get them going, but I really don’t have a lot of confidence unless he really changes things with his system and how he approaches games.

Just one observation, you are down by a goal or two, should be shortening your bench and not benching one of your better offensive players. He demoted Strome, good work there, only for him to be promoted, and Z was benched for Ross F’ing Johnston in the end.

We are actually scoring less goals this year under Cronin than last year under Eakins, and we have more skill and talent on this roster this year…..that is not good.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Some good stretches in the third, but shots on net are semi-impossible for this group. Gauthier is going to be very confused.

Rybread86

To the DOME
Mar 24, 2022
OC
Eakins... Cronin... they are means to an end, not the solution. It's why I didn't care if Eakins Stayed or got canned. The problem isn't the coach and until the roster is fixed the coach isn't going to matter much. Guys are learning different things from the different approaches, but these aren't the coaches that are taking them far.

Reactions: Trojans86

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

I like Cronin's ES defense (only because he improved it from last year's defense). Natural Stat Trick has the team ranked 23rd overall at ES Goal Against.

GM Verbeek needs a new PP and PK coach. PP Brown is wildly inconsistent, dependent on individual effort and luck. PK coach Thompson has gradually deteriorated all along the way.

Ducks2023-24SpecialTeams
Game SetGamesPPGPPOPP Eff.PK GATSHPK Eff
Total774022517.8%8531372.8%
1 to 2525188122.2%2211080.0%
26 to 4924107114.1%229175.8%
50 to 621383522.9%164766.0%
63 to 771543810.5%256561.5%

Things Cronin can work on himself:
1. ES offense flexibility. Probably change the philosophy based upon the talent per line.
2. Discipline. This could be more about causing his players to be more fatigued.
3. Stop overworking the players during the season!
4. Become a better motivator.

But if GM Verbeek continues to say that Cronin's done a great job at the end of the season, then expect the same shit next season.

Rybread86

To the DOME
Mar 24, 2022
OC
I like Cronin's ES defense (only because he improved it from last year's defense). Natural Stat Trick has the team ranked 23rd overall at ES Goal Against.

GM Verbeek needs a new PP and PK coach. PP Brown is wildly inconsistent, dependent on individual effort and luck. PK coach Thompson has gradually deteriorated all along the way.

Ducks2023-24SpecialTeams
Total774022517.8%8531372.8%
1 to 2525188122.2%2211080.0%
26 to 4924107114.1%229175.8%
50 to 621383522.9%164766.0%
63 to 771543810.5%256561.5%

Things Cronin can work on himself:
1. ES offense flexibility. Probably change the philosophy based upon the talent per line.
2. Discipline. This could be more about causing his players to be more fatigued.
3. Stop overworking the players during the season!
4. Become a better motivator.

But if GM Verbeek continues to say that Cronin's done a great job at the end of the season, then expect the same shit next season.

I'd give Thompson another season, but I'd also be asking Cronin what and who he wants. Brown has to go. Talent has to be improved.

Discipline has been going on for a few seasons... well maybe a few decades. I liked the idea of bringing in a retired ref or something but that's only part of the problem, some of the penalties are just dumb. Absolutely have to address that.

I don't mind his motivation techniques from what we can see, many disagree, but all of us could be wrong. You really have to be in the room and know the guys to know what's right or wrong.

I think a Captain at this point could go a long way

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Eakins... Cronin... they are means to an end, not the solution. It's why I didn't care if Eakins Stayed or got canned. The problem isn't the coach and until the roster is fixed the coach isn't going to matter much. Guys are learning different things from the different approaches, but these aren't the coaches that are taking them far.
That's not really the issue though. The issue is having a guy behind the bench that can coach good habits and fundamentals so the young guys have an example to base the foundation of their game on. They don't have a Getzlaf in the room to look up to, so really it falls on the coach to dictate how the young guys are developing.

This team struggles with the most basic fundamentals and are unable to win battles for the majority of games. They played well enough to match Seattle's level of play (different from execution) for about 12-13 minutes even if the team was clearly executing at a lower level. When that is happening, that's fine. It's a weaker roster and it's expected. The problem is the team completely fell apart in terms of compete, battling, and execution after the first goal and played like they'd be in the middle of the AHL standings.

Does that come from a group of jaded guys who haven't had it in them to play for pride? Yes. Partially. Does that come from a lack of leadership among the players? Yes. Partially. Does that come from a work in progress rebuilding roster replete with inexperience? Yes. Partially. But I also think it partially comes from a coach that isn't helping this team in their game preparation time. The team reacts poorly to defensive/forechecking/ 50/50 puck challenges because they're not properly trained on how to deal with them. There's no other reason to explain how often this team looks like they have no idea what to do with the puck on their stick.

Last edited:

Rybread86

To the DOME
Mar 24, 2022
OC
That's not really the issue though. The issue is having a guy behind the bench that can coach good habits and fundamentals so the young guys have an example to base the foundation of their game on. They don't have a Getzlaf in the room to look up to, so really it falls on the coach to dictate how the young guys are developing.

This team struggles with the most basic fundamentals and are unable to win battles for the majority of games. They played well enough to match Seattle's level of play (different from execution) for about 12-13 minutes even if the team was clearly executing at a lower level. When that is happening, that's fine. The team completely fell apart after the first goal and played like they'd be in the middle of the AHL standings.

Does that come from a group of jaded guys who haven't had it in them to play for pride? Yes. Partially. Does that come from a lack of leadership among the players? Yes. Partially. Does that come from a work in progress rebuilding roster replete with inexperience? Yes. Partially. But I also think it partially comes from a coach that isn't helping this team in their game preparation time. The team reacts poorly to defensive/forechecking/ 50/50 puck challenges because they're not properly trained on how to deal with them. There's no other reason to explain how often this team looks like they have no idea what to do with the puck on their stick.

I can agree with parts of that. I'm not trying to let the coaches off the hook, and I know it can come off like that but it's been going on for years. Getzlaf helped tremendously but the problems still existed then. They need player leadership, they need better talent and then they need the right motivation/leadership from the top.

just a lot of work still to be done.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I can agree with parts of that. I'm not trying to let the coaches off the hook, and I know it can come off like that but it's been going on for years. Getzlaf helped tremendously but the problems still existed then. They need player leadership, they need better talent and then they need the right motivation/leadership from the top.

just a lot of work still to be done.
No disagreement on that, I just don't think Cronin is up to the task of fostering the youth to meet their potential. Missing the playoffs be damned. There's worse outcomes than that.

Reactions: Trojans86

Rybread86

To the DOME
Mar 24, 2022
OC
No disagreement on that, I just don't think Cronin is up to the task of fostering the youth to meet their potential. Missing the playoffs be damned. There's worse outcomes than that.

He might not be. I'm not convinced either way. He could be fired after the season and my only gripe would be the instability. But if the next option or plan is McIlvane, the question becomes how close is he to what they deem to be ready. GMs only, or should only, get so many HC hires. Rushing that could be the difference in jobs kept vs loss and also the difference between a team succeeding or failing.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I'd give Thompson another season, but I'd also be asking Cronin what and who he wants. Brown has to go. Talent has to be improved.

Discipline has been going on for a few seasons... well maybe a few decades. I liked the idea of bringing in a retired ref or something but that's only part of the problem, some of the penalties are just dumb. Absolutely have to address that.

I don't mind his motivation techniques from what we can see, many disagree, but all of us could be wrong. You really have to be in the room and know the guys to know what's right or wrong.

I think a Captain at this point could go a long way

I say no to Thompson.

Here's why...

Ducks2022-23Special Teams
Total823622915.7%7828072.1%
1 to 25
25​
127216.7%318965.2%
26 to 49
24​
116915.9%178179.0%
50 to 61
12​
53613.9%104477.3%
62 to 82
21​
85215.4%206669.7%

PK coach Stothers didn't possess better defensemen last year, but he was able to coach the d-men up along with improving PK forwards. Look at the progression throughout the season. Then at after the TDL, it drops. Yet the drop is still significantly better than Thompson's production after the TDL and the game set just before the TDL!

As for Team Discipline, I think you're not using scope like you did for Thompson.

TSH
Last year: 280 (5th worst in league, 82 games)
This year: 313 (worst in league by over 30 opportunities, in 77 games played)

We've added 33 TSH opportunities with five more games to go. Remember that whole "accountability" factor that Cronin was supposed to bring. Why is it worse under a more accountable coach? Someone mentioned that the team is fatigued and fatigue often induces penalties. If that's the case, then why is Cronin overworking our team b/c we do look lethargic on many a nights. If it's not fatigue, then where is this "accountability" factor? Is it just some PR schtick? This is part of the reason why I don't believe in Cronin. I'm hoping he can change, but feels like an old dinosaur who won't evolve.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad