Carlsson (19)
Gauthier (20)
McTavish (21)
Mintyukov (21)
Zellweger (21)
Zegras (23)
Luneau? (20)
Terry (27)

And if we land Celebrini you can plug him in at the top at 18.

There’s no one in their prime besides Terry and maybe Zegras towards the end of the year
And Dostal at 23. Very promising future

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
If we are on the bubble next year around Feb , I’d expect Verbeek to not sell off again. I also would not be shocked if Vatrano is given an extension.
So if we’re 10+ points out of the playoffs next year on February 1st, you want Verbeek to stand pat?

It’s very likely next season isn’t going to be a playoff year. I think the season after we could push for a playoff spot and that seems to be what Verbeek is gearing towards
Vatrano and McGinn UFA, Dostal and McTavish are RFA. It’s not going to be another Verbeekenjng regardless. Maybe a Versqueakening, if he lards up the roster with waiver wire fodder with the intention of trading it again.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I thought Lacombe (and Gudas) were our best defenders tonight. On the flip end, I thought that was Zellweger's worst game so far. Not that it's big cause for concern but he was sloppy with the puck, missed d-zone assignments regularly, and made a few pretty bad pinches where he needed to be bailed out by a covering forward.

Zell is up here to finish the season as a trial thing. Love his offense, but his defense is still at the AHL level. I do wonder if he should start in the AHL next season to continue to work on that defense?

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
Zell is up here to finish the season as a trial thing. Love his offense, but his defense is still at the AHL level. I do wonder if he should start in the AHL next season to continue to work on that defense?
Zellweger paired with Fowler has been far better than LaCombe was. I don’t know how Zellweger would be considered to be weaker defensively than LaCombe. Don’t know the stats, but the eye test says LaCombe/Fowler got caved in far more often.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
This will be the ages of some of our best players to begin next season:

Carlsson (19)
Gauthier (20)
McTavish (21)
Mintyukov (21)
Zellweger (21)
Zegras (23)
Luneau? (20)
Terry (27)

And if we land Celebrini you can plug him in at the top at 18.

There’s no one in their prime besides Terry and maybe Zegras towards the end of the year
Even without Celebrinin there should be a pretty good top 5 prospect to add to that list.

Next year there really will be no excuse to not expect some noticeable improvement. They cannot keep looking this bad.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I think his defense overall has been fine. Not great. Not markedly good. Not awful. Not bad.

Reactions: AngelDuck

ohcomeonref

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 18, 2014
Alberta, Canada
Zellweger paired with Fowler has been far better than LaCombe was. I don’t know how Zellweger would be considered to be weaker defensively than LaCombe. Don’t know the stats, but the eye test says LaCombe/Fowler got caved in far more often.

I think Zels transition game makes up for some of his defensive deficiencies. A guy who can get the puck up the ice quick doesn't have to play defense as much.

Reactions: lwvs84 and Deuce22

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
Zellweger's game is way more suited to playing the right side than LaCombe's. LaCombe may have been able to do it in college, but he doesn't have the confidence in his puck skills to handle the puck on his backhand so often. Zellweger being good on the right side is very beneficial to us. Ideally he plays the off side on the 3rd pair in the long term, but I think he could do it on a 2nd pair, too.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

I dunno how LaCombe got into this conversation when I want Zell to improve his defense because I see Zell sticking with this club more than I do LaCombe (and I'm a huge LaCombe fan). If Zell is to stick with the NHL club, then I'd want better defense from him so that our total defense also improves instead of trading goals.

Anyhow, You are comparing youths in completely different situations and time periods. LaCombe was pushed into the top pairing role six games into the NHL season after Drysdale fell to injury, Luneau proved to be not ready, and Vaak proved he cannot play RD in a game and a half.

Zell, OTOH, was developing in the AHL for over half the season and was a top-3 scorer for the team. Afterwards, he was called up a couple of times. At the Migration event, Verbeek said Zell would stay up with the club after the TDL.

LaCombeSplits
Game SetGamesGAPts+/-HitsBlocksPlaying
1 to 666611314-2549120.
1 to 660111310Pair 2
7 to 2014022-171518Pair 1
21 to 4020044-71441Pair 1 to 3
41 to 6020156-21343Pair 1 to 3
61 to 666011048Pair 1 to 2

Apparently, LaCombe's defense did improve after being thrown to the wolves in the NHL level. HC Cronin identified LaCombe was one of the players who improved the most throughout the season.

Zell at the NHL
Pre-TDL: 7 games, 2 pts, +3 rating, and ATOI = 17:06​
Post-TDL: 14 games, 5 pts, -8 rating, and ATOI = 19:31​

DZone deployment
Zell = 43.3%​
LaCombe = 55.5%​

Maybe Fowler-Zell isn't found in the Dzone often is because they're not starting off in the Dzone often. Hmmmm...

Neither Zell nor LaCombe are great partners for Fowler, but Fowler is going to be babysitting youths from now on until his contract ends in a couple of seasons. Next year, Luneau will probably be Fowler's partner.

JAHV

Sponsor
Oct 3, 2023
Anaheim, CA
It wasn't so long ago that our top 4 were all lefties. Niedermayer, Beauchemin, Pronger, O'Donnell. And I remember that group having some success.

Yes, I know that two of those were Hall of Famers, but the HoFers mostly played their strong sides in those pairings. I think it was Beauch and O'Donnell that played their off side.

Reactions: gilfaizon

gilfaizon

Mar 28, 2012
PEI
It wasn't so long ago that our top 4 were all lefties. Niedermayer, Beauchemin, Pronger, O'Donnell. And I remember that group having some success.

Yes, I know that two of those were Hall of Famers, but the HoFers mostly played their strong sides in those pairings. I think it was Beauch and O'Donnell that played their off side.

OD for sure. Scotty and Beauch may have switched it up a bit during their time together. I know both could play both sides well.

On quick glance, looks like Scotty was playing right side in the 07 finals.

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
I dunno how LaCombe got into this conversation when I want Zell to improve his defense because I see Zell sticking with this club more than I do LaCombe (and I'm a huge LaCombe fan). If Zell is to stick with the NHL club, then I'd want better defense from him so that our total defense also improves instead of trading goals.

Anyhow, You are comparing youths in completely different situations and time periods. LaCombe was pushed into the top pairing role six games into the NHL season after Drysdale fell to injury, Luneau proved to be not ready, and Vaak proved he cannot play RD in a game and a half.

Zell, OTOH, was developing in the AHL for over half the season and was a top-3 scorer for the team. Afterwards, he was called up a couple of times. At the Migration event, Verbeek said Zell would stay up with the club after the TDL.

LaCombeSplits
Game SetGamesGAPts+/-HitsBlocksPlaying
1 to 666611314-2549120.
1 to 660111310Pair 2
7 to 2014022-171518Pair 1
21 to 4020044-71441Pair 1 to 3
41 to 6020156-21343Pair 1 to 3
61 to 666011048Pair 1 to 2

Apparently, LaCombe's defense did improve after being thrown to the wolves in the NHL level. HC Cronin identified LaCombe was one of the players who improved the most throughout the season.

Zell at the NHL
Pre-TDL: 7 games, 2 pts, +3 rating, and ATOI = 17:06​
Post-TDL: 14 games, 5 pts, -8 rating, and ATOI = 19:31​

DZone deployment
Zell = 43.3%​
LaCombe = 55.5%​

Maybe Fowler-Zell isn't found in the Dzone often is because they're not starting off in the Dzone often. Hmmmm...

Neither Zell nor LaCombe are great partners for Fowler, but Fowler is going to be babysitting youths from now on until his contract ends in a couple of seasons. Next year, Luneau will probably be Fowler's partner.
On a better team, I think Zellweger, LaCombe, and Mintyukov would have spent all(or most) of this season at SD. I think they all have been impressive considering the circumstances, but aren’t yet where they will eventually be in their own zone. What I objected to about your post was the contention that Zellweger’s defense was “at the AHL level.” I don’t agree. His ability to move the puck by pass or with his wheels is elite, meaning he doesn’t need to play like a conventional defenseman.

Last edited:

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
On a better team, I think Zellweger, LaCombe, and Mintyukov would have spent all(or most) of this season at SD. I think they all have been impressive considering the circumstances, but aren’t yet where they will eventually be in their own zone. What I objected to about your post was the contention that Zellweger’s defense was “at the AHL level.” I don’t agree. His ability to move the puck by pass or with his wheels is elite, meaning he doesn’t need to play like a conventional defenseman.
I think Zellweger is still figuring out that he’s no longer THAT much faster than everyone though, which gets him into trouble when he’s gambling a bit, because he’s used to his ability being able to get him out of situations he never should have been in.

Reactions: Hockey Duckie

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Z2 can be better. But he’s been the most exciting guy to watch since Leo went into hibernation after the new year. Sad, but if I have to watch Fowler skate backward one more time on an offensive rush I’m libel to get out the 12 gage and finish off the TV.

Reactions: AngelDuck

TheGoodShepard1

Dongle Digits. Fire Newell Brown
Nov 26, 2017
Z2 can be better. But he’s been the most exciting guy to watch since Leo went into hibernation after the new year. Sad, but if I have to watch Fowler skate backward one more time on an offensive rush I’m libel to get out the 12 gage and finish off the TV.

The sequence last night where he took a (admittedly awful) pass in his feet with no passing option and sprinted towards his own goal line from center ice with Shane Wright charging after him was comedy gold, like Wile E. Coyote trying to catch the roadrunner.

In a way, I feel bad for him. Dude's been saddled with way too many minutes, there's a lot of unnecessary mileage on those legs that he basically doesn't want to do too much, because there are still glimpses when he jumps into the middle as the 4th man high that remind me of what could have been. Just gotta accept him for who he is.

• Haha
Reactions: Dr Johnny Fever
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad