Post-Game Talk: #76 | Islanders at Flyers | April 1, 2024 | OT loss

EdmFlyersfan

Feb 20, 2007
Edmonton
My take for what it's worth:

1. Torts is reportedly moving "upstairs" after the season is over. What he said in press conference was that we are watching who is playing. He along with management knows this team is FAR away from Cup contention.
2. Big questions this last few games, LAUGHTON. This guy better show something soon.
3. FEDOTOV long-term solution? We all have been down this rabbit hole before with new goaltenders. One of these just by luck have to work.

Where does Kolosov fit into all of this along with Ersson? Kolosov is younger and supposedly a higher ceiling than any of our other goalies...I just have a bad feeling Flyers are going to botch this and send the better goalie away to another club.

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
The OT goal kinda marred what was at least an exciting finish.

Nice to see Fedotov get some minutes, and the crowd cheering him on.

I wasn't expecting playoffs at all this year, not even fighting for a spot. I'm ok if they fall out - I think guys like Tippett, Frost, Farabee, York, Ersson, Foerster et al are all gaining something by playing high pressure games.

Let's see how they play out these last six games.

FanForLife

Oct 27, 2018
Winnipeg
I’m always left wanting to like Drysdale’s game more than I actually do. Good play on the tying goal to get it to the net, but my criticism of him still stands: he’s lacking that instinct to just attack aggressively even though he has the skill. He’s tentative with the puck at the blue line where a truly elite offensive defensemen would be naturally confident to push the puck forward with an aggressive burst or head fake. He’s missing that Gostisbehere quality.

That said, I originally thought the flubbed OT pass was his fault for handcuffing Frost, but watching it again, he made the pass anticipating Frost to turn and move straight up ice. Instead, Frost curled back toward Drysdale at an angle and jammed himself.
I agree with that...but Drysdale had space to lay out the pass ahead of Frost that no matter what angle Frost took the pass would have been more easily received...just lead him on him a bit. At the time Nelson was backing up, lots of room to just lay it out there and let Frost go get it. Seems like such a little thing, but Flyers do so many "little things" like this wrong it seems. Just a lot of poor choices.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
My take for what it's worth:

1. Torts is reportedly moving "upstairs" after the season is over. What he said in press conference was that we are watching who is playing. He along with management knows this team is FAR away from Cup contention.
2. Big questions this last few games, LAUGHTON. This guy better show something soon.
3. FEDOTOV long-term solution? We all have been down this rabbit hole before with new goaltenders. One of these just by luck have to work.

Unfortunately, he and management do not think they are far away

Reactions: Coalregion12

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
The biggest star we have is a small guy named Konecny, who has carried the team offensively and on the PK for the full season. He also had the 2nd best Corsi Rel on the team last night, so it's not like his line was getting dominated. In fact, the opposite occurred.

So sorry WIP caller, I don't know if yelling at him to do better or be less tired is going to help much.
giphy-3 (2).gif

I agree with that...but Drysdale had space to lay out the pass ahead of Frost that no matter what angle Frost took the pass would have been more easily received...just lead him on him a bit. At the time Nelson was backing up, lots of room to just lay it out there and let Frost go get it. Seems like such a little thing, but Flyers do so many "little things" like this wrong it seems. Just a lot of poor choices.

Yeah Frost took a lot of slack on that OT play, but it was indeed a poor pass by Drysdale that handcuffed him just enough.

Reactions: VladDrag

JABEE

Feb 12, 2010
Philadelphia
Why did Torts start Ersson if he was going to pull him after 1? Maybe Torts should hold some of the blame for them losing the game? That makes more sense than the team being soft. I don’t think they looked soft at all

Everything to avoid the elephant in the room being a lack of talent.

You can’t ride a bunch of mules to exhaustion, and then scream at them to give you even more.

Such lazy analysis to say they need to be harder. Play with more effort.

Just how many more culture guys do they need?

Shithole franchise.
Yeah. Those guys are out there laying their bodies on the ice. Getting beaten with pucks. Coming back in games and getting points they don’t deserve. This should be a positive for Torts instead he throws the team under the bus to obscure his own mistakes.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Where does Kolosov fit into all of this along with Ersson? Kolosov is younger and supposedly a higher ceiling than any of our other goalies...I just have a bad feeling Flyers are going to botch this and send the better goalie away to another club.
Koslov has two years left on his ELC

Reactions: orangey

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
What risk did my dude take?

Taking a risk would have been playing him from the get go. Playing him after Ersson clearly didn’t have it & was putting you behind isn’t really a big risk.

Don’t get me wrong I don’t think many coaches would have started Fedotov in that situation & I don’t necessarily blame the logic.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Come on, when have the Flyers ever gotten a goalie analysis wrong?

FanForLife

Oct 27, 2018
Winnipeg
at the end of the day I will still take Frost out there it that situation over Laughton, Poehling, Hathaway or Cates.....
100%...I like the players, just didn't work out. I suspect Torts will see this as a failure and be back to his OT favourites next time...

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada
Why did Torts start Ersson if he was going to pull him after 1? Maybe Torts should hold some of the blame for them losing the game? That makes more sense than the team being soft. I don’t think they looked soft at all

Yeah. Those guys are out there laying their bodies on the ice. Getting beaten with pucks. Coming back in games and getting points they don’t deserve. This should be a positive for Torts instead he throws the team under the bus to obscure his own mistakes.
do not question the Emporer..

🤣🤣🤣

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
Tortorella's Flyers are 18th in the NHL and out of a playoff spot by P%.

Does he still get coach of the year consideration if they finish 20-something? :laugh:
The authentics still say yes...

gto64dr

Jan 15, 2012
I think the Zamula experience should end. His hesitations and fumbling have caused the team to be bottled in on way to many situations. He needs more seasoning in the minors.
We seriously need a new PP Coach. In a word he SUCKS and has cost us a lot of games. What other team would put up with being last two years In a row.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I think the Zamula experience should end. His hesitations and fumbling have caused the team to be bottled in on way to many situations. He needs more seasoning in the minors.
We seriously need a new PP Coach. In a word he SUCKS and has cost us a lot of games. What other team would put up with being last two years In a row.
He can't go down without clearing waivers.

You want him replaced by Staal or Ginning?

Reactions: dragonoffrost

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
No idea what to do on the PP and no idea what to do in OT.

That's what happens when your head coach self admits that he has no idea how that side of the game works.

Im convinced that all he does is push/pull and lets Rocky and Brad Shaw run everything else. I don't even think he knows properly when to do a coaches challenge and defers to Rocky/Shaw on that.

Reactions: renberg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad