76-game Season Would Be Perfect (when Seattle Enters the League)

SeanConn

Apr 25, 2018
New Cork, New Brunswick, Canada
Almost all of the offensive records were set with an 80-game season. Extending the season to 82 didn't help anyone break offensive records. Goals-per-game affects offensive records, not length of the season. A league with a GPG average of around 6.5 (or higher) will have plenty of players capable of hitting 50 goals and 100 points in a 76-game season. This season the GPG average was 6.0.

There wouldn't have been a single 50 goal scorer this season had there only been 76 games... so many of the 50 goal seasons since the NHL has been doing 82 game seasons would have been erased under your proposal... so often players hit 50 in the last few games of the season, 76 games would be a huge disservice to goal scorers and stars looking to break records... and for what exactly? 6 less games a year accomplishes nothing... sorry man, but it's just a silly idea to have less games. If anything they should have kept the 84 game schedule.

Reactions: Thrasymachus

SeanConn

Apr 25, 2018
New Cork, New Brunswick, Canada
They agreed to go from 84 games to 82 games in 1995.

The NBA commissioner is also on record considering a shorter season. If the NBA moves in that direction, the NHL might follow.

It’s unlikely, but possible.

And these same owners agreeed to shut down an entire season in 2004, losing billions of dollars, and shut down roughly half a season multiple times. They are willing to take short-term hits for long-term gain.

I doubt it happens. Just saying I would personally prefer it.
Stats in the NBA are not so easy to follow... what part of less 50 goal scorers or less 100 point scorers don't you understand? I know they're just thresholds... but some and are fans of stats, and players as well. Increase to 84 games if you want to ensure the schedule is nice and even...

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
I love hockey season.

Why would I wanna watch 6 fewer games per year?

I love hockey season too but I wouldn't mind if they cut back to 74 games. With 31 teams (soon to be 32), there's plenty of hockey to watch. A shorter schedule would result in less wear and tear on the players and likely less injuries which allows for better performance overall.

:jets

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
I personally would love to see the league cut the season down 4 - 6 games. Start around the same time in early October and finish around the last week of March. Start the playoffs in the last week of March with a touch of winter still in the air but with some warmer spring weather on the way. Finish around the May long weekend when summer/summer-like weather has officially commenced in even the northernmost cities. Cup finals extending into the second week of June is ridiculous. Even prairie cities in Canada are averaging well over 20 degrees Celsius by that point. Hockey needs to be well and done by that point.

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
Goals-per-game affects offensive records, not length of the season.

Not sure if serious, obviously a lot of records (most wins for a goaltender, goals, assists in a season, etc...) are affected by the length of the season.

How many record from the 50 or 70 games season are still standing today ? This is such a direct and trivial things, that the more games, the higher the season totals goes.

ZzZz

Dec 22, 2017
owners wont like it

theyd argue to extend it not lower it

This is why I don't see it happening, even though I would like to see healthier teams in the playoffs more often.

Most reasonable thing to do is to play your depth players more during the season and try to even out the minutes across the lineup.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
I think it's time for the NHL to make two "leagues", like in MLB, where each team basically plays its own League only... except in the Cup Finals / World Series. There are too many teams now to bother with having every team play every team, blah blah blah. Just make two Leagues -- East and West, or North and South with all the Canadian teams in one -- and have an "internal" hockey season.

That way, travel is less, and my team only has to really worry about 15 other teams, instead of 31. This will increase rivalries, too, as teams in the same area will play one another twice as often every season.

Ne'er the twain shall meet except at the All Star game (which might therefore actually have some interest) and of course the Cup Finals. The Conference championship will be a much bigger deal (as it should be) because it'll then be a League championship.

I'm not really bothered about the number of games, except that the playoffs need to end no later than May 31st. (I do think the playoffs are too long and too much of a marathon now, meaning the winner is often the team with the least attrition and not necessarily the best team.)

WhiteLightning91

Jul 26, 2007
No shortening of the season until Ovechkin retires.

I want him to have at least a small chance of breaking the all-time goals record.

bob27

Grzelcyk is a top pairing defenceman
Apr 2, 2015
Cleanest is this:

2 against opposite conference for 32 games.

3 against same conference but not division for 24 games

4 against same division for 28, so a total of 84

From sporting perspective, the most fair and clean solution would be to have 2 games against every opponent, no conferences and playoffs are seeded from 1-16.

SwaggySpungo

Oct 18, 2018
There wouldn't have been a single 50 goal scorer this season had there only been 76 games... so many of the 50 goal seasons since the NHL has been doing 82 game seasons would have been erased under your proposal... so often players hit 50 in the last few games of the season, 76 games would be a huge disservice to goal scorers and stars looking to break records... and for what exactly? 6 less games a year accomplishes nothing... sorry man, but it's just a silly idea to have less games. If anything they should have kept the 84 game schedule.

As I already explained; almost every offensive record in NHL history was set with an 80-game season. Low-scoring hockey makes it difficult to score 50 goals in a season, not the length of the season. If you'd like more players to hit the arbitrary 50-goal mark, then you need to increase offence. Simple as that.

And reducing the schedule accomplishes a shorter season. You might like 82 games, but lots of fans think the season is too long and drags on and on. Many of us would like a shorter season. Each game means more, less wear and tear on player's bodies, and overall better quality hockey.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad