76-game Season Would Be Perfect (when Seattle Enters the League)

SwaggySpungo

Oct 18, 2018
32 games: 2 games (home-and-away) against every team in the opposite Conference.
16 games: 2 games (home-and-away) against every team in same Conference, opposite Division.
28 games: 4 games (2-home-and-2-away) against every team in same Division.

76 games total (44 intra-conference games and 32 inter-conference games).

Season starts no earlier than October 15 and ends no later than June 10 (Game 7 of SCF).

Divisional playoffs.

Make this happen, Big Daddy Gary.

SwaggySpungo

Oct 18, 2018
why make it so much harder to hit 50 goals, let alone break all time records?

Almost all of the offensive records were set with an 80-game season. Extending the season to 82 didn't help anyone break offensive records. Goals-per-game affects offensive records, not length of the season. A league with a GPG average of around 6.5 (or higher) will have plenty of players capable of hitting 50 goals and 100 points in a 76-game season. This season the GPG average was 6.0.

Keep in mind, the league had 70-game seasons from 1950 to 1967.

Then 74-games for 1967-68.

Then 76-games from 1968 to 1971.

Then 78-games from 1971 to 1975.

Then 80-games from 1974 to 1992.

Reactions: AnimalFear

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
32 games: 2 games (home-and-away) against every team in the opposite Conference.
16 games: 2 games (home-and-away) against every team in same Conference, opposite Division.

Season starts no earlier than October 15 and ends no later than June 10 (Game 7 of SCF).

Divisional playoffs.

Why are you pushing the start date back a week?

If you’re going to have 76 games, which I agree with, start at the same time and this will cut off the final 2 weeks of the regular season in April. Then the Cup will finish at end of May, how it should be.

SwaggySpungo

Oct 18, 2018
Not bad except you lose 192 gates, and 192 games for TV deals. If it happened they'd charge you more per tv package or more per ticket etc and it's already highway robbery. That's a lot of cheddar to make the OCD folks happy.

Keep in mind it is only 3 fewer home dates per team. It's significant, but not earth-shattering.

League revenue may stay flat for 1 or 2 seasons, but overall revenue will continue to increase year-over-year (as it has for the past 70+ years).

Also keep in mind that prices (for tickets and TV and parking and everything else) are set by what the market is able to bear.

For example, the Toronto Maple Leafs average ticket price is $332.00 while the Arizona Coyotes is $72.00, even though both teams play the same number of games. Also the NFL gets at least 5 times the TV money the NHL does, despite having 1/5th the number of games. It's all about supply and demand.

A shorter season will affect revenues (in the short-term). It shouldn't really affect prices all that much, unless demand increases.

Last edited:

SwaggySpungo

Oct 18, 2018
Why are you pushing the start date back a week?

If you’re going to have 76 games, which I agree with, start at the same time and this will cut off the final 2 weeks of the regular season in April. Then the Cup will finish at end of May, how it should be.

I'm pushing the start date forward 10 days. I would prefer it start November 1st every year to avoid the World Series entirely, but you'd need a 70-game season to do that.

The league and the broadcast networks want the SCF in early June. I would prefer May as well, but I'm trying to be realistic. The SCF ending no later than June 10 is the best we can hope for.

cowboy82nd

Feb 19, 2012
Newnan, Georgia

Divisional playoffs.

I don't see this happening. I don't see the NHL losing money by getting rid of 6 regular season games and being ok with it.

SwaggySpungo

Oct 18, 2018
Owners are not going to agree to less home dates, if anything they want more.

They agreed to go from 84 games to 82 games in 1995.

The NBA commissioner is also on record considering a shorter season. If the NBA moves in that direction, the NHL might follow.

It’s unlikely, but possible.

And these same owners agreeed to shut down an entire season in 2004, losing billions of dollars, and shut down roughly half a season multiple times. They are willing to take short-term hits for long-term gain.

I doubt it happens. Just saying I would personally prefer it.

CogNoman

Mar 15, 2011
Montreal, now.
There is a way to keep 82 games and to also keep the mathematical simplicity that you're aiming for.

Split each division in to 2 "mini-divisions" of 4 teams each. Then have a home-and-away vs each team in your mini-division.

That would allow you to add 6 more games to your 76-game season, bringing it up to 82.

Reactions: ScaryBarrie

serp

Jan 17, 2016
If you keep the current format with regards to divisions it has to be either 76 games or 84 games for it be "clean" . Keeping 82 with the current division would make it really uneven .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->